SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daveinreston_gw

Need advice on Heat pump & air handler replacement

daveinreston
14 years ago

Good day. I am the owner of a 800 sq foot condo in Reston, Va. I have a 12 year old Carrier heat pump (1 1/2 ton) and a 27 year old Carrier air handler (2 ton). While the units are still working, they are definitely struggling. Last year, I had a tech replace a capacitor on the heat pump, as well as top off the coolant levels (which were quite low, apparently). Given that 1) the units are not cooling that effectively now in spite of last year's service and cleaning (yes, I have a clean filter in there), much less the heat of summer and 2) the tax rebate available, I have pretty much decided that it is time to proactively replace the units.

There are three things I should mention - first, the form factor of the heat pump is an issue (roughly 28-29" inches wide), as it needs to fit within the available space outside. Second, my breaker is a 40 amp - I understand that may affect the heating element. And finally, what I am looking for is the best value - not the cheapest nor most expensive, but simply best bang for the buck.

I have, to date, received four quotes:

The first is for a Lennox XP14-18, with a M#CBX27UH24 air handler and a 7.5 kw backup heater. The price, installed, is $5800, with a humidifier option of $400 for a APRILAIRE 600. This is from a reputable, established company with a strong BBB rating (A- rating). Warranty is 10 years parts, 1 year parts, labor, and gas

Second, I have a quote for a Goodman SSZ12018 heat pump with a AEPF1830 air handler (with txu kit). This has a 8kw backup heater. The price, installed is $4300, with a 500 humidifier for $650. This company does not have a BBB rating, but also appears to have no complaints on file. The file creation date is 2001. I was referred to them by the Realtor that I bought my condo from, and so far she has been excellent with companies that she refers me to. My concern is that this price seems too good to be true, especially when compared to quote #3 below. Warranty is 10 years parts, 1 year parts & labor.

The third quite is for basically the same equipment as the second quote. Warranty is 10 year parts, labor and gas. The company is a franchise, and is listed with the BBB as having a C rating, and is registered only since 2008. The price is $8200 for the unit, and $400 for the humidifier. Because of the price and the fact that the BBB rating only goes back to last year, I am leaning toward throwing this bid out - a warranty, after all, is only good if the company is there to honor it.

Finally, the fourth quote is for a unit that does not qualify for the IRS rebate (as the ones that did that they carry could not fit inside the available space. It is a Trane 4TWR3024 2 ton unit, and a 4Tee3f31 air handler. They are proposing a 10KW heating unit (which I think is wrong due to my 40 amp breaker). The warranty is 10 years compressor and coil, 5 year all other parts, 2 year labor warranty, and a free 1 year Plan A Service Plan. The price is $6200, plus $400 for a humidifier.

Quotes 1, 3 & 4 offer financing which I might use, but do not necessarily need.

I am considering a humidifier as I have found, in winter especially, that I run my unit hard because the air is so dry. I have had a load calculation, and a 1 1/2 ton is large enough.

I would be very interested to hear what the feedback is - does quote 2, from a small (one or two man shop) business really sound good to be true? If it is, then option #1 sounds the best to me, but is it? And would a humidifier meet my goal of being able to go with a lower tempature in winter (say 65 degrees) and thus be a worthwhile option? Are there any other manufacturers that I should take a good, hard look at as I am looking for the best value, not necessarily the cheapest?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

DaveInReston

PS - all the proposed units will have a new 7 day programable thermostat as well as a float switch

Comment (1)