SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_mickleson

OY! No good washer options in current market!

Karen Mickleson
13 years ago

Warning: Piss and moan alert!

I'll start by saying I settled on a top load, 'direct drive' Whirlpool WTW4950XW--to be delivered Thursday--the newest incarnation of the WTW58ESVW. Latter (and I suppose current one) is complained about here for having no manual load size choice; that the auto fill sensor transfers to full load if you open the top to add an item, yada yada. And of course my ordered machine is excoriated by some for being horribly noisy, others say it's quiet. Yet others say it's all about leveling.

Consumer Reports recommends *some* of the Whirlpool Cabrio's, (& Kenmore 2800 which is made by Whirlpool), but many reviews hate them.

My old time repair guy had recommended staying away from electronic ones, going for 'direct drive'--easier and cheaper to repair (tho this may be cuz he doesn't do continuing education in electronics), tho most these days come with cheap 5 year parts & service contract. Guy in store of course calls my repair guy out of touch with advances in electronic improvements. Reviews hate HE ones cuz they leave clothes tightly wrinkled or don't provide enough water.

Meanwhile, the one thing most agree on is they wish they had their old washer back. Maybe I should have just kept my 13 year old Whirlpool and paid my repair guy to endlessly repair it instead of figuring the cost-benefit ratio was against me. At least I'd help this clearly frugal guy stay at least occasionally employed.

Whoever the smart-a** was who posted about ocd and Asperger's hasn't shopped for a washer recently. Like I said, OY!

Just out of curiosity, has any consensus evolved here on a washer *most* people really like that doesn't cost $1000?

Karen

Comments (22)