SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Writing Our Life Stories: Assignment Two

alisande
13 years ago

Assignment Two is to write about your birth.

Lois Daniel, whose book I'm following, suggests including these statistics:

Who?

What?

Where?

When?

How? (including doctor or midwife's name)

Why? (in case your parents were living somewhere temporarily, for instance)

I also included what time of day my mother went into labor, and a story about my dad and the cab driver engaging in an absorbing discussion of sports, during which time my laboring mother was ignored. :-)

Lois Daniel suggests researching the world you were born into. I think this is a great idea. Who was President? Were we at war? What did people wear? What did an automobile cost? Oh, wait--did we have automobiles? LOL

Because of my abiding interest in childbirth, and in particular the thought I gave to my birth when writing this chapter, I got heavily into childbirth practices of the 1940s. It's depressing! Actually, it's literally depressing, because the nervous systems of both mothers and babies were depressed by the drugs hospitals routinely administered at the time. I hope some of you were lucky enough to be born at home.

Here's an example of what I wrote:

I'm sorry my mom didn't have the birthing choices that were available when I had my babies. She was a strong, athletic woman with an equally strong maternal instinct. She would have loved natural childbirth. She would have embraced prepared childbirth classes (though I don't know how deeply my father would have gotten into that......well, maybe if everyone was doing it), and I'm certain she would have felt, as I did, great happiness and satisfaction in the birth process. But in 1943 women giving birth in a hospital didn't see their babies take their first breaths. They didn't get to hold them and nurse them right away. This is typical of what I found in my research:

By the 1940's, more than 80% of all pregnant women gave birth in a hospital in a surgical environment. They were given heavy drugs to disconnect them from the perceptions of pain, and put under general anesthesia for the birth of their child.

I also found an interesting (and infuriating) list of Do's and Don'ts given to new mothers in the 40s. Maybe I'll post that separately on the KT as I think some might find it interesting.

One of my most exciting finds was the doctor who delivered me! He's no longer living, but he was 99 when he died almost three years ago. And he practiced medicine until he was 96! I was really happy to make this discovery, not so much because he directed my birth, but because he was my mom's doctor.

Dr. Vialotti

How many of you are taking part in this project so far? Are you enjoying it? (I am.)

Susan

Comments (8)