SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyrkb

Nutrition Help Needed

kimberlyrkb
13 years ago

Hi All:

I am fairly well-informed when it comes to adult nutrition, and eat pretty healthy, however, I have a 15-year old boy in the house that I have two problems with: I don't know how to feed him and I think he eats too much junk. He is 6'2" and very active: he plays basketball, football and baseball, so he's busy year round. He is as thin as a rail and super picky about his food, in that if it's not junk or meat (ribs or sausage), he doesn't like it.

Extended family on my husband's side are extremely unhealthy - they eat very poorly and many are obese. MIL and a few of her sisters had bariatric surgery to lose weight, and diabetes runs in the family due to their unhealthy life styles. My husband is somewhat overweight, as well, although not obese, and constantly struggles with his weight.

The other day at Thanksgiving, my in-laws and even my husband had no problem with step-son eating a whole pie himself. MIL is proud he loves her pie so much and thinks it's funny he'll eat the whole thing. In fact, MIL made 6 pies for 6 people total at dinner, fully expecting step-son to eat one whole pie himself and take another one home. This was after he started the day with breakfast at McDonalds before football practice (yes, football practice on Thanksgiving Day, as they are in the State finals today). For dinner he had two very large helpings of mashed potatoes, a little turkey, and a roll with butter.

My husband thinks my step-son doesn't get enough calories, which is why he's okay with McDonald's breakfast and a whole pie. I agree the boy doesn't get enough calories, but he should be eating BETTER calories, not junk.

I have suggested that my step-son eat decently healthy meals, and if he needs to supplement, of course, he can have some junk (cookies and such), but he should also drink more milk, eat a peanut butter sandwich, have some cottage cheese, handful of nuts, etc., food that will supply good calories and fuel his body. McDonalds pancakes, sausage and hash browns, and a whole chocolate pie doesn't do that.

Am I on the right track? I'm pretty sure I am, but how much junk is okay? I don't want to be the junk food police. I do buy or make cookies for his lunches, and we have chips in the house, but I don't have much junk beyond that because I know he's getting it elsewhere. Both my husband and step-son seem to think a growing boy should be able to eat as much junk as he likes, however,with his family's poor health history, I think that's a really bad idea.

For those that have or had growing, active boys in the house, how do you make sure they get enough good calories, and not eat too much junk?

Thanks,

Kimberly

Comments (15)