SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pete187

Trane XV95 vs. Rheem RGRM vs. Lennox G61V

pete187
13 years ago

First of all, thank you for all of the great information on the site, it has been helpful.

We are replacing our 1989 Lennox furnace this year and I have narrowed it down to two reputable installers. We live in Iowa, so the winters do get pretty cold at times.

We have a two story home, 2000 sq ft above grade, and are primarily interested in an energy efficient (so we get the tax credit) and RELIABLE unit. I know installation is a huge key, but with that said, are there any opinions on the three choices I have it narrowed down to?

Dealer #1:

1. Trane XV95, 100,000 BTU. 95% efficiency. (4 ton blower)

2. Rheem RGRM. 90,000 BTU. 95% efficiency. (5 ton blower).

Dealer #2:

1. Lennox G61V. 90,000 BTU. 95% efficiency. (5 ton blower.)

They are all variable speed, two stage furnaces. The Trane worries me for two reasons: first, 100,000 BTU seems high compared to every other estimate I have received, including his Rheem recommendation. However, the dealer said it had to do with the increments that Trane goes up in, (i.e., the 80,000 BTU unit would be too small.) Also, I worry about the 4 ton blower versus the 5 ton. I was kind of hoping the 5 ton would help get the air into the 2nd story better.

Sorry for the long post, but I really have narrowed the field down greatly over the past two weeks. Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio