SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
goldy_gw

Potato salad failed again

goldy
14 years ago

I used to make the best potato salad.I make it Saturday night and it's great.Get up Sunday and it's all watery .what happens.?

Comments (44)

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

You didn't by any chance taste it twice with the same spoon did you? That will do it every time.

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

goldy, are you boiling your potatoes? Using russets or red? (Red potatoes are more waxy, and better for boiling.) One thing I did recently when making potato salad was bake my potatoes (I used russets), and roast the onions. When I made my salad, it seemed to have much more flavor than usual, and there's no water or runny dressing in the bottom of the bowl. I've been saving it for a couple days for the flavors to meld (and to go with my ribs!) so this technique is one I really like and will be using from now on.

• Related Discussions

Potato Salad

Q

Comments (23)
    New Potato, Chicken & Apple Salad Use leftover chicken or broil/roast chicken parts You want about equal parts of chicken & potatoes. I generally make this salad when I have leftover pan roasted new potatoes from the night before. Melt 4 T of butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over a med-high heat & add 1-2 lbs small red potatoes, and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cover the pot and shake it around so the potatoes are coated with butter, and reduce the heat. Simmer the potatoes for about 20 minutes (depending on their size), then let them sit off the heat, still covered for another 5 minutes. This sort of "sets" them somehow. If you aren't sure after the 20 minutes, test one with a trussing skewer or other very thin, piercing instrument. They should be easy to pierce through, but not quite ready to eat, as they'll still cook more. Toss the potatoes with 2 or 3 T of minced fresh herbs of your choice. I like chives & marjoram with a tiny bit of rosemary. Chop a large, crisp apple into thick matchsticks and put into a bowl of salted water to prevent browning. Now, cut the cooled potatoes into halves if they're small, quarters if they're larger, and chop the chicken meat into pieces slightly smaller than the potatoes. Toss the potatoes, chicken & apples with your favorite creamy dressing, and garnish with your choice of chopped green onions, toasted, coarsely chopped cashews, chopped dried fruit of some kind or shelled pistachios. My favorite dressing for this (though ranch is also very good) is a sort of variation on Thousand I guess, that my mother used to make: Mom's Dressing 2 c mayo 1/2 c ketchup 1/4 c Worcestershire 1 T grated garlic 2 t lemon juice 1/2 t black pepper 1/2 t powdered onion 1 T honey 1 t each dried savory, parsley, & basil Mix all ingredients well. It should sit for at least a couple of hours in the fridge so the garlic won't be "hot" and the flavors of the dried herbs can develop, but if it can sit for longer, like all day, it's better.
    ...See More

And the winner (of the Potato Salad Contest) is...

Q

Comments (9)
    LMAO! Too funny! There was no ribbon. Just bragging rights. Instead of pics of my DD I'll just send her to the highest bidder! Or the lowest bidder. She's 16 and knows everything, so you won't have to teach her anything. Please be kind to her, afterall the ONLY reason why we had her was to make her into a slave and get us everything. She'll give Mr. Clean a run for his money as she can clean an entire house in 30 minutes. But she will expect $60 for her labour. (HA!) She comes complete with a laptop, cell phone and an iPod which is permanently attached. Just give her unlimited text msg'ing, music downloads, a blackberry (because allllllll her friends have one but her, the poor overworked child-slave) and she'll be forever grateful that you saved her from this "hell hole" we call home. Oh, forget the bidding. FREE TO GOOD HOME! DH sold separately. All sales are final. :-) BJ - which in my darling daughter's mind stands for Big Jerk! But I love her inspite of it all ...
    ...See More

German potato salad

Q

Comments (5)
    This is hgl gaylemarie's recipe: GERMAN POTATO SALAD (hgl Gayle Marie@KT) 4 potatoes 4 slices bacon 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons white sugar 1/3 cup water 1/4 cup white wine vinegar 1/2 cup chopped green onions salt and pepper to taste 1.Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes; cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop. 2.Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. Reserve bacon fat. 3.Add the flour, sugar, water and vinegar to skillet and cook in reserved bacon fat over medium heat until dressing is thick. 4.Add bacon, potatoes and green onions to skillet and stir until coated. Cook until heated and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
    ...See More

Potato salad with leftover baked potatoes?

Q

Comments (32)
    Or just leave them in their foil until they turn the color of my toe and throw them out. :) The toe is healing nicely, thank-you, and car #1 has finally gone to the dealership. Car #2 is still being fixed. I did get to do a couple of errands after the tow, and now my other ankle is complaining about taking up the balance duties of the opposite pinky. I should cook, but I think I'm playing hooky tomorrow. ;) I was out eating a romaine-free salad tonight, but did filch some fries from my companion, who never finishes them anyway. They were way too salty, but really good. Better than usual. The too salty was probably the improvement. ;) 2Many, no apologies! That's hysterical. Well the potatoe is hysterical. The quip is smile-worthy. All good. I've often seen a hand of ginger, but that's the first foot of potato I've seen! Sherry, that rock sounds as immovable as the bathtub! "Restaurant size" potatoes is what they're called. though, as you say, many restaurants serve larger ones. Two pounds though? Wow. I can't imagine wanting to bring home an uneaten half of a potato the way I would half a chicken serving or half a sandwich. And here I thought one pound potatoes were huge!
    ...See More
  • lindac
    14 years ago

It comes from the water in the celery and onions you are using. If you want potato salad to hold without watering out, use less raw veggies in it.
    Because I like quite a bit of onion, I omit the celery.
    The tasting with the same spoon...ie your salive breaking down the starch, doesn't hold for potato salad as the thickeners aren't starch based but rather egg lemon emulsification of mayo....and I can't imagine how slobbey you would to transfer enough saliva to a white sauce to make it "un-thicken"...ewww!
    For potato salad, I prefer russets, I cube raw and them boil to just tender....drain. sprinkle with a little salt and vinegar ( my grandmother always said hot potatoes absorb the flavors better than cold) then make my dressing which is mayo, a good amount of dijon or dark grainy mustard, lots of chopped onion, well drained sweet relish, then taste and maybe add a bit more vinegar or maybe sugar if the pickles weren't sweet enough.
    Chopped egg and add to the potatoes....toss and add celery seed and a pretty fair amount of black pepper.
    Linda C

• goldy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm serious is testing with the same spoon makes it break down?It was nice when I left home but time I got it to my grandaughters home it was soupy.

• lindac
    14 years ago

It's very true that saliva containes amylase which begins the digestive process of breaking down starch into sugars and begins the very first process of beginning to break down some fats. But it is unrealistic to imagine that the amount sliva sticking to a spoon after you licked would be enough to cause even a small bowl of potato salad to getw atery.
    And it is a fact that salt and vinegar will cause fresh, raw vegetables to lose moisture and exude water. As an experiment, try chopping some celery and onions and putting a littls salt on them and some mayonaise, let it sit in the refrigerator over night and see what's in the dish in the morning...even better add some chopped cucumber too.
    Then as a control, mix some cooked, well drained potatoes with some mayonaise, taste it twice with the same spoon, cover and refrigerate over night.....see which bowl has some watery residue in the bottom.
    Salive will sometimes cause baby food left in a jar to get watery if you feed your baby right from the jar because the repeated dipping of the spoon covered with baby drool will introduce enough enzymes to make the starch break down, but...unless you are using a flour based dressing and are drooling big time, it won't do that with potato salad. It's the veggies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Watery potato salad

• goldy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I used some Acent to bring out the taste do you think that had anything to do with it?When I think of all the eggs(9( and capers and miracle whip .This was half my budget for the week.Yes I did test it twice with the same spoon,My mom be for me tested too and people came for miles to get her salad and I know she tested because thats where I got it from.Sure wish she was alive so I could ask her.

• jimster
    14 years ago

What Linda said makes perfect sense. If you want to make potato salad ahead, why not prep everything the day before but not assemble it until near serving time? You wouldn't dress a green salad a day ahead, would you? The potatoes should not be a problem but the crisp veggies (celery, onion) definitely would be. In fact, the potatoes need vinegar or mayonnaise to prevent discoloring.

I use Linda's method of cutting up the potatoes before cooking. I find it convenient and fast. You have to watch them carefully though. If you don't get them off the heat and cooled (I use ice) quickly enough, they will be mush.

I think we had a similar discussion about making pasta salad ahead, which is a different problem, but still problematic.

Jim

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Do you use pickle relish? I find it gets watery sometimes with that, so I have to cut back on the mayo/dressing ingredients. Sometimes I even blot the relish with a paper towel to help absorb moisture before I add it to the mix. Sometimes salt will also draw out moisture, depending on when you add it.

My PS has been hanging out for a couple of days and isn't watery (but I didn't add pickle relish this time). I hope you can figure it out; it will probably take some testing!

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

Goldy, was the whole bowl watery or just part of it?

Beverly

• colleenoz
    14 years ago

Just as an aside, I would skip on the Accent because many people are sensitive to it.

• blizlady
    14 years ago

Goldy, I noticed in your last post you mentioned that you used Miracle Whip. That could be the difference. The first ingredient in Miracle Whip is water. Even though water is listed as one of the ingredients in Hellman's Mayo, it is mainly oil:

Miracle Whip ingredients:

Ingredients: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, EGG YOLKS, SALT, MUSTARD FLOUR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE, SPICE, PAPRIKA, NATURAL FLAVOR, DRIED GARLIC.

Hellmanns Mayo ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, NATURAL FLAVORS, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY).

• goldy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The night befor everything was great,The directions said to set overnight.Got up next morning a little soupy .Boiled three more eggs to soak up the juice and time I got to my grandaughters house it was real soupy.If testing with the same spoon is for real maybe the medicines I'm takeing might have something to do with it,

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

Do you add salt to your potato salad? Salt will draw the water out of vegetables and even the potatoes. It's better in any case, IMO, to leave salt out of recipes and let folks add it to their own portion, as so many people have different tastes and tolerances for salt.

• blizlady
    14 years ago

I know you also mentioned that you never used to have the watery problem. If you used Miracle Whip in the past, I found a site that said that years ago soybean oil used to be the first ingredient but that now Miracle Whip has water first. So if you never changed the type of ingredients you used in the past, that could possibly be the reason. I'm only guessing though! But I do have a potato salad recipe that uses Miracle Whip with more sugar added for a sweeter dressing, and the dressing is very thin - unlike using straight mayo.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Goldy? What are the raw veggies you put into your potato salad?
    And rachaelellen, there is enough salt and/or vinegar in mayo to draw moisture out of any raw veggies.
    Tasting with the same spoon is not a very hygenic practise, but it won't make your potato salad watery.
    Linda c

• Kay
    14 years ago

This is so interesting. I ususally have the exact opposite problem: the next day the potatoes have absorbed the sauce and are kind of dry and sticky so I need to add more mayo or mayo/vinegar/mustard mixture.

I agree with blitzlady -- the Miracle Whip seems like the prime suspect.

• ritaotay
    14 years ago

If salt draws out moisture then the Accent may be the culprit, it's mostly salt.

Rita

• trixietx
    14 years ago

I use Miracle Whip in my potatoe salad, but I bake the potatoes rather than boil. I think boiling the potatoes makes it watery!

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

I use Miracle Whip and have never had a problem with watery potato salad. I also boil my potatoes, add celery, onions, radishes, salt, and taste two or three times, BUT, I never use Accent.

I think it's the Accent.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Accent contains no salt....and really doesn't do much for things that do not contain meat. It's the veggies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Accent

• ann_t
    14 years ago

I've never had potato salad go watery either. But I never make it the day before. I like it freshly made and use Hellmans. I also don't like a lot of vegetables in potato salad.

Accent is one of those "additives" that I don't use.

Ann

• Terrapots
    14 years ago

My potato salad usually absorbs all the mayo, I use Best Foods (Hellman's). I also use celery, pickles, onions, olives and lots of eggs and russets. I was told a long time ago to add a little oil or Italian-like dressing to keep the potatoes from absorbing all the mayo and that's what I try to do. Sunday I made some out of red potatoes because I was going to make just a little and felt lazy. Monday we had some left over for lunch and I noticed a little water at the bottom of the dish. I figured it was the red potatoes as the skins were still pretty wet when I cut them up. With russets, I now peel and cut them up before cooking and try to undercook them a bit, then rinse under cold water. I do note that if potato salad is left for too many days in the fridge there does tend to be some liquid, that's when I decide it's not going to be eaten. I NEVER TASTE my salad ahead of time, I just grab a plate, fork and serving spoon and have a snack. I figure it's just one of the perks of food preparation.

• dlynn2
    14 years ago

First of all, I think you should discontinue the practice of tasting your potato salad numerous times with the same spoon -- it doesn't matter whether or not that was the cause of it being watery. That is just plain gross to bring a dish to someone's home when you have double-dipped out of it. I would also experiment with some of the other ides suggested here to help get the potato salad to the consistancy that you like.

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

I use MW too and never had a problem with it going watery. Okay, several days later if there is any left when I'm tossing it, yes, it's watery. I'm thinking over cooked potatoes or you didn't let it cool enough before covering and putting it in the fridge.

David

• shambo
    14 years ago

I tend to agree with others that the salt in either mayo or Miracle Whip, combined with the Accent, and possible additional sprinklings of salt to taste drew out the water in the veggies. Perhaps the potatoes themselves were a bit water logged to start with from the boiling. Here's some info about MSG from the MSG brochure:

How much sodium does MSG contribute to foods?

MSGÂs low sodium content represents a minor contribution to the overall sodium level of a typical diet. By way of comparison, MSG contains about 12 percent sodium, while table salt contains 39 percent. And, MSG is used at levels much lower than salt. Considering all sources of dietary sodium (natural sodium content of foods, table salt, sodium-containing ingredients in processed foods, drinking water, and pharmaceuticals), typical use of MSG contributes about 1 percent to 2 percent of the total sodium contained in the average daily American diet.

Taste tests have shown when the salt level in food is reduced, food acceptability decreases. However, by using a small amount of MSG in conjunction with a decreased level of salt, sodium intake can be reduced by as much as 30 percent to 40 percent, while maintaining an acceptable flavor profile.

Here is a link that might be useful: MSG Facts

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

If your whole bowl was watery then it wasn't the salivia.

I've watched the same woman who shall of course be nameless make potato salad several time and she would taste with the same spoon and the next day hers would have a pool of water and she would wonder why. Then I read in several places that this was the cause and told her. She stopped doing it and her potato salad wasn't like that anymore. It's definitely not a good practice to retaste with the same spoon. I buy plastic spoons which I use in most everything I cook as tasting spoons so they may be discarded after one taste. Before I started doing this I would sometimes have used 15 or 20 spoons to taste dishes for a meal.

You might try several of these suggestions, especially making sure your potatoes are good and dry and I would try omiting the Accent too and see if they help.

The vegetables I use in my potato salad are onions, celery and sometimes radishes. It is never watery, in fact it always tightens up overnight. I

• Cloud Swift
    14 years ago

Miracle Whip ingredients:

Ingredients: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, EGG YOLKS...

Looking at this list of ingredients, Miracle Whip isn't close to mayo in its behavior. It is mainly a starch thickened liquid rather than an emulsified oil. 3 of the first 4 ingredients are high in H2O and egg yolks are way down on the ingredients list - below the food starch. So if saliva or anything else can break down the action of the starch it can happen here. If it didn't do it years ago, perhaps a change in the formulation of Miracle Whip is involved.

In any case, it is a really bad hygiene practice to transfer saliva to a dish like this. I'm less germ-phobic than some on this forum but there are limits. The riskiness of a food is a combination of the amount of bacteria that it started with, the amount of time that bacteria had to grow and the growing environment it presented (acidity, temperature, nutrients). There is more risk here because the tasting occurs and then the food is served many hours later than if the food was tasted right before serving. And I don't think there is enough acid in the Miracle Whip to discourage bacteria growth either. Even when I'm tasting something boiling like soup, I don't taste from the spoon and put it back in.

I either take a fresh spoon for each taste or drop some from the stirring spoon onto a sampling plate and taste from the sampling plate.

• goldy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are right I should not have double dipped.Learned my lesson.If every cook was as clean as me there would be no sickness.Ever worked in a resturant?Food hits the floor do you think they throw it away?Seen a waitress pick up a fork off the floor and put it right back on the table.July 4th comeing up will try one more time.Will let you know the results.Thanks all.

• colleenoz
    14 years ago

I don't dispute that some restaurants my behave as you claim, but in the ones where I have worked, if food hits the floor it either stays there until clean-up or it goes straight into the trash. Dropped utensils go straight into the dishwasher.

• goldy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Guess what?I told my beautiful daughter about my problem.She said"Mommy you are useing too much mayo"Made some three days ago and the stuff is holding together like glue.Who says you can't learn from your kids?I'm so happy my double dipping was not the cause.I will stop that habbit because It's not sanitary.Things have changed so and people are not the same.So many dirty things out there.Just thought I would let you know "problem solved"

• arlinek
    14 years ago

Also, I see no one mentioned about how long your trip was to grandaughter's. Did you keep it cold with ice packs or something? Pot. Salad is VERY dangerous if it starts to get warm - millions of bacteria start multiplying like crazy. In fact, it is one of the most common sources for food poisoning at food gatherings. When someone has suffered from food poisoning, that's the first thing I ask to find out what they ate. (Most people assume they got a "touch of the flu".) If it was not potatoe salad, then I ask if they ate anything else with mayo - a MAJOR culprit of food poisoning when not kept cold. Taking it on picnics without adequate refrigeration is asking for trouble - so many people then leave it sitting out on the table for a couple hours while chatting, take it home and then continue to eat the left overs for the next day or two - DISASTER. Anyway, my thoughts were if you didn't keep it cold during the ride (assuming it was more than 15 min. or so), that could have contributed to the sauce breaking down, also.

arline

• lindac
    14 years ago

Quite the contrary, mayonaise makes a food LESS likely to develope harmful bacteria.
    Homemade mayo made with raw eggs would indeed grow bad bacteria in very short order if not kept very cold. But commercial mayo made with pasteurized eggs actually prevents foods from spoiling.
    Food doesn't spoil very rapidly in a salty acedic enviornment....and commercial mayonnaise also contains preservatives.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: The scoop on mayo

• arlinek
    14 years ago

Well, lindac is basically correct!! I just did my own search and learned a few things - I'm quite surprised. But, I do feel somewhat "vindicated" - lol, that I also found on these important websites (Calif. Poison Control, Salad Dressings Board, gov't studies, etc.) the following info in the articles re: mayo, so don't get TOO comfortable using mayo:

Food-borne illnesses associated with mayo are probably due to contaminated foods being mixed with it. "Many low-acid foods, like chicken, ham, or POTATOES (my caps), are susceptible to the growth of bacteria and are often mixed with mayonnaise," says the Association for Dressings & Sauces (ADS).

"Despite the microbiological safety of commercial mayonnaise, mixing mayonnaise with contaminated ingredients will not assure the safety of these combined mixtures."

Use plenty of ice in the picnic chest to keep foods such as egg salad, potato salad, macaroni salad or any dishes made with mayonnaise or cream cold. Don't leave these foods in the sun.

Commercial mayonnaise is a very safe product, as long as itÂs in the jar. But, when mixed with other food - such as potatoes, vegetables, fish, or other sandwich fixings, itÂs acidity is diluted to the point that it will no longer prevent microbes from growing. So handle all foods that contain mayonnaise with kid gloves - but not just because of the mayo.

So, perhaps this provides some further clarification. I'm still going to be extremely cautious whenever serving any food that's not kept cold (or hot as needed) during the serving times.

arline

• HU-179880946
    7 months ago

Ive alwYs used miracle whip for potato salad using red potatoes. never has it failed in 60 years. today it got real watery and no flavor. i tasted the miracle whip and it tasted very bland. I always make nightbefore and it might get a smidge dry and would have toadd a little more miracle whip. this whole batch using 5 pounds red potatoes, celery, onion onion, sweet relish is wasted!!!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 months ago

The reason potato salad tends to become watery is due primarily to the potatoes. Potatoes are porous and when boiled, will absorb a lot of excess water. Either steam the potatoes (waxy textured pots that are the best for salads generally do not bake well) or after boiling, return the drained pot of cooked potatoes back to the warm (but turned off burner) to dry.

Adding too many 'wet' ingredients - celery, onions, pickles, relish, etc. - or too much dressing can also contribute to the problem. But you would need to do a LOT of double dipping tasting to create enough saliva into the mix to cause any sort of problem!! That is pretty much a non-starter :-)

• Sherry
    7 months ago

Do not chop the potatoes before cooking. Cook the potatoes whole, with out peeling. Let cool. Peel, then chop. They cook easier if you use approximately the same size.

I learned growing up to chop raw, then cook. It works much better the other way.

• olychick
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Also, so many stores are soaking vegetables with their ’mist’ feature that many are waterlogged. Hopefully not potatoes, but maybe celery and green onions. With weather events and supply chain issues it’s also possible that things are being compromised in transit.

• colleenoz
    7 months ago

I agree with boiling the potatoes raw and unpeeled, but I think the Accent was the main cuplrit in Goldy’s case. Accent has an enzyme that breaks down proteins, which is the egg yolks in the Miracle Whip.

• Elizabeth
    7 months ago

My late aunt used to put chopped cucumber in her potato salad. It was delicious when freshly served but the leftover portion was watery the next day. She also used to taste pudding while it was boiling and put the spit spoon back in the pan. It never thickened. ( disgusting )

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    7 months ago

FWIW, the original post is 13 years old. 2008. But the watery issue seems to be a problem for some. I agree it might be the miracle whip breaking down.

I packed up some lunches this morning and the potato salad i made Saturday was like glue. Very creamy loaded with vegetables---celery, green onion, red pepper, etc. I used both russet, cut into quarters, and small waxy white creamers, cut in half, before boiling. Cut probably releases alot more steam when cooling. I cut further when cool enough to handle. The russets crumble a bit making a starchy 'gravy'. Probably helps that i use mustard and horseradish powder in my dressing. As well as Korean chili flake.

Cucumber will definitely release water overnight. I like to add cucumber but to the table and not fully incorporated.

You could probably save a watery salad by draining the puddle and adding dry mustard powder. It will not only add flavor but it is a water absorber. Also, make sure your potatoes are fully cooked. When pierced easily with a fork, give them just a few more minutes. Slightly undercooked potatoes are bland. They will not absorb the dressing as well as slightly overcooked.

• lindac92
    7 months ago

Some things.....all accent does NOT contain an enzyme that breaks down protein.

Salt draws moinsture out of everything, the more raw vegetables you put into your potato salad, the nore chance it will get watery upon sitting. Secondly, drain your potatoes well, heat them in the pan and toss over the heat to get rid of all extra water. Plus the more water in the potatoes, the less dressing they can absorb...and potato salad is all about the dressing.

And as for the saliva introduced to even a very small bowl of potato salad, while a bit icky, is not the cause of watery potato salad.

• Sherry
    7 months ago

One reason I do not eat pot luck. Not everyone uses a new and different teaspoon to taste.......

• chloebud
    7 months ago

Very old thread, I know, but still relevant. I have eggs boiling right now for potato salad tonight. Agree with gardengal and Linda regarding draining potatoes and putting them back in the warm pan to absorb any remaining water. I’ve always cut my (unpeeled) potatoes for boiling and never had a watery problem. I season the hot potatoes with vinegar, salt and pepper before proceeding. I use waxy/boiling potatoes and usually red. A combination of red, yellow and/or purple can also be nice. Have never added cukes to potato salad but can see them being part of the watery issue.