SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Potato Salad

3katz4me
15 years ago

I have kind of quit making potato salad over the past years. I have a great recipe of my mom's but I've shifted away from eating heavier, creamier, foods and DH doesn't like that kind of potato salad any more either.

I had some recently though - from the deli of a nice local grocery store. It had no creamy sauce on it - just some kind of light, clear something or other. It was really good - a little bit sweet, some dill in it maybe, not sure. Does anyone have a recipe like this - a lighter, non-creamy potato salad?

It's finally getting warm here and I will soon be entertaining more people at our lake cabin. I was thinking an interesting new relatively healthy potato salad dish like this would be a nice thing to have around.

Comments (23)

• socks
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Was it German Pototo Salad? Something like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: German Potato Salad

• lindac
    15 years ago

Not at all sure it's healthier than a mayo based potato salad, but I make a vinaigrette dressed potato salad. I start with my basic dijon honey vinaigrette and add the "herb du jour"...LOL! sometimes dill, sometimes parsley sometimes oregano...or a combo.
    Dice potatoes, cook them, toss them with thed ressing to follow and your choice of veggies...chopped green onions are a must, but celery, green or red peppers, radishes even cukes are all good....just don't let it sit for more than 5 or 6 hours after you add the veggies or it will get watery.
    Dressing:

1T dijon mustard
    1clove of garlic, crushed (or chopped very fine)
    1T honey
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    Mix together, I use a wire wisk
    1/2 cup olive oil...whisk the oil in a slow stream, whisking all the while
    Then I like to add some dried or fresh herbs....most of the time I use oregano...I
    Dont' add salt because of the salt in the mustard, and I pepper it on the plate or in the
    bowl....like they do in a restaurant!!

• Related Discussions

Blue potatoes for potato salad

Q

Comments (3)
    I almost never peal potatoes. They will be cooked, so I have no reason to worry about bacteria which would be killed by boiling water. Also, since I've grown them myself, I don't worry too much about bacteria. I grew blue potatoes one year and found them to be pretty, but they didn't have great flavor. I prefer growing varieties that taste wonderful, so I haven't grown a blue since, because if they are selecting for color that may trump selection for flavor.
    ...See More

Cooking Potatoes for Potato Salad

Q

Comments (30)
    In our restaurant we cooked 50 pounds a day, the vast majority for potato salad. I would heep them high in a BIG pot that had a strainer insert almost the same size (about three inches between the bottom of the strainer to the bottom of the pot). That left enough room for about 20 pounds of washed but not peeled russetts. I'd heap them high and cover the top with foil. I don't remember the timing now but it seems to have been between 20 and 40 minutes. I played hot potato hand laying them in a single layer on a couple full size sheet pans to cool a little. It had to be hand done as pouring them out would damage them. The reason I didn't peel first is because of how fast one can peel a hot potato- 3 or 4 times faster than raw. Towel over one hand holding the potato, using a serrated staeak knife, it's amazing how fast a person can peel a big batch of spuds. The crucial point was to let them cool completely (cold) before dicing them, to keep shape without crumbling. The final step was using a hand held dicer(a metal frame with tennis racket style wire weaving.) This technique works great for the huge batches, and a couple generations of customers kept coming back for more. michaelp
    ...See More

Potato salad failed again

Q

Comments (44)
    FWIW, the original post is 13 years old. 2008. But the watery issue seems to be a problem for some. I agree it might be the miracle whip breaking down. I packed up some lunches this morning and the potato salad i made Saturday was like glue. Very creamy loaded with vegetables---celery, green onion, red pepper, etc. I used both russet, cut into quarters, and small waxy white creamers, cut in half, before boiling. Cut probably releases alot more steam when cooling. I cut further when cool enough to handle. The russets crumble a bit making a starchy 'gravy'. Probably helps that i use mustard and horseradish powder in my dressing. As well as Korean chili flake. Cucumber will definitely release water overnight. I like to add cucumber but to the table and not fully incorporated. You could probably save a watery salad by draining the puddle and adding dry mustard powder. It will not only add flavor but it is a water absorber. Also, make sure your potatoes are fully cooked. When pierced easily with a fork, give them just a few more minutes. Slightly undercooked potatoes are bland. They will not absorb the dressing as well as slightly overcooked.
    ...See More

Help me with potato salad recipe

Q

Comments (24)
    I know it’s no longer in vogue, But I like a good old-fashioned mayonaise potato salad with egg. I boil the potatoes usually peeled maybe not until just barely tender so there’s still a bit of a bite to them but not raw. When the cubed potatoes are still warm I like to toss them with a bit of Italian salad dressing . Then I make a dressing with mayonnaise and yellow mustard celery salt and pepper and thin it with some dill pickle juice. Then I add celery, green onion and either chopped dill pickle or sliced green or black olives. Chopped hard boiled eggs and the mixture is mixed together. The consistency of the mayo thinned with the pickle juice makes it moist but not soupy. We love it, but don’t have it often.
    ...See More
  • canarybird01
    15 years ago

Some more German Potato Salad recipes from my German cookbooks:

Berlin Potato Salad - Berliner Kartoffelsalat
    ================================

For 4 portions

1 kg (2.2 lbs) small, new or salad potatoes
    1 onion - finely diced
    salt & pepper
    1 teasp sugar
    2 - 3 TBSP vinegar
    1/4 liter (1 cup) strong beef stock
    1 TBSP butter
    50 grams (about 2 oz) speck (thickly sliced bacon) - finely diced
    a few springs flat leaf parsley

1. Cook potatoes in their skins.

2. Put finely diced onion in salad bowl together with salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar.

3. Heat the beef stock and when hot pour it over the onion.

4. Drain potatoes when done and rinse with cold water. Peel and immediately slice them warm into the salad bowl.

5. Mix all carefully so as not to break up the potato slices.

6. Melt butter and fry the speck (bacon). Then pour butter and bacon over the salad in bowl and mix gently.

7. Let stand for a while so flavours penetrate.

8. Shortly before serving, sprinkle with chopped parsley.

This is a good salad for taking out on picnics or outings.

Source:
    "Deutsches Kochbuch - Rezepte aus deutschen Esslandschaften"
    von essen & trinken. Gruner + Jahr AG & Co. Hamburg.

Bavarian Potato Salad - Bayerischer Kartoffelsalat
    ====================================

Serves 6 - 8

750 grams - 1 kg (1 1/2 - 2 lbs) new potatoes
    2 onions finely chopped

Dressing:
    =======
    1/2 cup (4 fl oz) oil
    3 TBSP lemon juice
    salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teasp sugar

1. Boil the potatoes, making sure that they are not too soft. Cool them and peel.

2. Cut them into slices and place them in a mixing bowl with the chopped onions.

3. Prepare the dressing by vigorously mixing all the ingredients together.

4. While the potatoes are still warm, pour the dressing over them and mix them gently. Serve at room temperature.

Thanks to my DH Wolf for help with the German translation into English of these recipes:

German Potato Salad - Kartoffelsalat
    ============================

For 4 portions:

1 kilo (2.2 lbs) salad potatoes (potatoes which are firm and suitable for potato salad)
    1 clove garlic - cut in half
    3 - 4 TBSP vinegar
    1/4 liter (1 cup) warm beef stock
    1 1/2 teasp salt
    1/2 teasp white pepper
    1 small onion - finely chopped
    3 - 4 teasp oil

1. Cook potatoes whole in their skins. Drain and rinse with cold water. Peel and cut into fine slices.

2. Rub the salad bowl with a peeled half of garlic and put potato slices in bowl.

3. Mix vinegar with beef stock and pour over potatoes. Add salt & pepper and diced onion. Taste and adjust seasoning.

4. Add oil and mix all together. Let stand for an hour for flavours to penetrate.

East German Potato Salad - Wendischer Kartoffelsalat
    ========================================

For 4 portions:

1 kg (2.2 lbs) potatoes
    3 TBSP vinegar
    3 TBSP goose fat
    Salt & pepper
    3 TBSP sugar
    500 grams apples (just over a lb)
    1 large onion
    2 sour cucumber pickles
    1 bunch chives or green onion

1. Cook potatoes in skins. Drain and peel. Slice and keep warm.

2. Heat vinegar and melt the goose fat in it. Flavour this with salt, pepper and sugar, being careful not to let it boil.

3. Wash and cut apples into quarters, remove seeds, then dice into small cubes.

4. Cut onion and pickled cucumbers into small dice.

5. Mix the apple, onion and cucumber pickle together with the potatoes.

6. Pour the hot vinegar and goose fat over the apple mixture and mix.

7. Cut chives into small rings and sprinkle on top. Serve warm.

This goes well with Königsberger klopse or other meatballs, bratwurst or sausages.
    Make sure there is mustard on the table.

Sharon Cb

• jimster
    15 years ago

Along with the crunchy vegetables Linda mentioned, which are good additions to a potato salad (either mayo or vinaigrette type), consider fresh, lightly cooked snap beans. They make a nice combination with potato. They are either in season or will be soon for most of us. Likewise for new potatoes, which would add up to a very special potato salad.

Jim

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It wasn't quite like German potato salad - I think it was more like LindaC describes. I do think it had fresh dill. Maybe this is what I need to try.

• lindac
    15 years ago

German potato salad usually has bacon of some sort and is served warm or at room temperature...a vinaigrette type has no meat and is served cold.

• blueiris24
    15 years ago

This wouldn't be it, but this is a version I make that you might enjoy - I've never liked mayo-based potato salads, but I like this one.

Spanish Potato Salad

2 lbs small red potatoes, halved or quartered (about 6 cups)
    1/2 c sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
    1/2 c chopped fresh basil or 2 Tbs dried
    1/4 c finely chopped red onion
    2 Tbs drained capers
    2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1/4 c EVOO

Place potatoes in water to cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes; transfer to a large bowl. Add olives, basil, onion, capers, oregano, salt, pepper, and olive oil and mix. Let stand 30 minutes to blend flavors. Makes about 6 cups.

• dlundin
    15 years ago

Everyone asks for this recipe when I serve it at barbecues. It's from Epicurious/Gourmet.

Also, I've made potato salads with olive oil and lemon, adding some shallots, black olives, parsley and sometimes capers. Like Blueiris', it's very adaptable to ingredients you like.

lemony potato avocado salad Gourmet : July 1998

Makes 2 servings.
    ingredients
    3/4 pound small red potatoes (about 6)
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
    3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
    1 firm-ripe California avocado
    preparation
    In a saucepan cover potatoes with salted cold water by 1 inch and simmer, covered, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain potatoes in a colander and quarter. In a bowl stir together warm potatoes, oil, lemon juice, zest, chives, and salt and pepper to taste. Pit and peel avocado and cut into 3/4-inch pieces. Add avocado to potato mixture, gently tossing to combine.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Do you serve that cold or room temp?
    Linda C

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay - I just ran to the farmers market over lunch and got new potatoes, fresh dill and fresh green onions. I'm going to experiment this weekend. I got another idea from the Picnic thread too - sweet potato salad. Thanks for all the good ideas!! Also makes me want to try German Potato Salad again. I'm having some friends visiting from Germany in August and I think I'll make it then.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

I make that kind of potato salad, with a vinegar and oil dressing, herbs of your choice. I first found it listed as "greek" potato salad. Anyway, I just love it, I make mine with a bit of red onion and steamed green or yellow beans. I don't have my recipe here with me, I'm visiting friends. But it isn't very hard to make, just improvise to your taste. It isn't one for the old russet potatoes though, it's good with the small red ones. I'm going to have to try it with sliced pea pods, I got a bunch at the market yesterday.

• shambo
    15 years ago

This is our family favorite:

Patatosalata
    (Greek Potato Salad)

Fresh, lively, and bursting with flavor. This salad brightens any meal and is a delicious alternative to the typical mayonnaise-laden versions.

2 2 ½ lbs. wax potatoes (white, Yukon Gold, or red)
    ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
    Juice of 1- 2 large lemons
    1 red onion, finely diced
    1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano (optional)
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Finely chop onion and parsley.
    In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, oregano (if used), parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and onion. Mix well and set aside.
    Wash potatoes well.
    Add potatoes to a large pot of boiling, lightly salted water. Cook potatoes at low boil for about 15 - 20 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender. Do not overcook.
    Drain water and let potatoes cool slightly to touch.
    When slightly cooled, peel and cut potatoes into slices or large dice (If desired, leave skin on red potatoes).
    Place warm potatoes in a large bowl; add dressing and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat.
    Cover bowl and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Stir every once in a while to redistribute dressing.

• granjan
    15 years ago

I don't remember where I got this hint but if you want really flavorful, healthier potato salads put the vinegar and or mustard, I use both, on the potatoes while they are still warm. NOT the vinaigrette, just the vinegar. The potatoes grab all the flavor and then you only need a little oil, or mayo with the other herbs and seasonings. makes all the difference.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made my experimental potato salad today. I ended up trying the olive oil and lemon like dlundin's recipe but decided it was too sour so added a little honey. In the salad I just used new potatoes, fresh dill, celery, fresh green onions and egg whites (DH doesn't like yolks and they're not good for my cholesterol).

Interestingly enough I discovered what you describe granjan, after I cooked the potatoes when I was out running errands and reading a cookbook when I was in a store. Well, too late for that as they were certainly not still warm by the time I got home. But I am going to do that next time. I also noticed after the fact that dlundin's recipe also says to put the dressing on when the potatoes are warm.

It was good - very light and fresh tasting - DH liked it. He was skeptical and pleasantly surprised. I will definitely try this again - it was a nice change from the traditional.

• compumom
    15 years ago

Copying and pasting madly! I love the sound of some of these recipes!

• Lars
    15 years ago

Here's my favorite potato salad recipe - and it contains essentially no fat, other than what would be found in the chicken broth. You have to use the right kind of potatoes, however, because that's what gives it a rich flavor:

Russian Banana Fingerling Potato Salad

To Cook the Potatoes and prepare the Salad:
    1 lb. Russian Banana Fingerling Potatoes (baby Yukon Gold Potatoes may be substituted)
    Water to cover
    Salt

Scrub potatoes and place in a medium pot. Cover with cold water and add salt. Over medium heat, bring to a simmer and cook until you can just pass a knife comfortably through a potato. Remove from heat and strain.

1/4 cup Chicken Broth
    2 tsp. Champagne Vinegar
    1/2 tsp. Granulated Sugar
    1/2 bunch Chopped Chives
    Salt and freshly ground White Pepper

Combine broth, vinegar, sugar, chives and seasoning to taste. While still warm, rub (peel) skins from potatoes with the back of a pairing knife. (Not only is it easier to rub the skins while the potatoes are still warm, it is also important to combine the marinade or "dressing" with the potatoes while the potatoes are warm as they will better absorb the flavors). Pare and slice potatoes into 1/6 inch thick pieces. Place potatoes in a bowl and pour dressing over, stirring gently. Allow flavors and liquid to "draw" for at least 1/2 hour.

Note: This salad is best served at room temperature.

Lars

• cheerful1_gw
    15 years ago

I'm going to make potato salad for the first time this weekend to bring to a barbeque. What are the best potatoes to use (red, gold, etc.)? There will be 8 people there; how many potatoes do I need?

• lindac
    15 years ago

I like potato salad made from russets. And the number of potatoes doesn't matter...but the weight will.
    If they like your potato salad you will need about 2 pounds of potatoes.
    Linda c

• ann_t
    15 years ago

I think that Russets make the best potato salad too. Yukon Golds are my second choice. I never use regular white/red waxy potatoes. Russets make for a creamier potato salad.

I've made potato salad a couple of times in the last couple of weeks. No real recipe. While the potatoes are cooking I mix up some hellmans and sour cream, season with garlic, dijon mustard, salt , pepper a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and lots of fresh chopped dill and chives. When the potatoes are tender, chop them leaving bite size pieces and mix in the dressing while the potatoes are still hot. Can be served warm or cold.

Ann

• dirt_yfingernails
    15 years ago

Years ago I used a recipe that called for salad oil instead of mayo. My MIL makes a killer potato sald, and I am not a fan of potato salad. She takes regular potato salad and adds real bacon bits and bleu cheese. Yum.

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

Gibby, if you want a flavorful but light sweet-sour dressing like you described, I'd recommend Hendrickson's. I like it so much I could do an infomercial on it. It's great on a tossed salad, sliced tomatoes and onions, cucumber salad or in pasta or potato salads.

I used to buy it at Fresh Market until they stopped carrying it, but now Wegman's has it. You can also get a sample from their website for $1.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

New Potato, Chicken & Apple Salad

Use leftover chicken or broil/roast chicken parts You want about equal parts of chicken & potatoes. I generally make this salad when I have leftover pan roasted new potatoes from the night before.

Melt 4 T of butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over a med-high heat & add 1-2 lbs small red potatoes, and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cover the pot and shake it around so the potatoes are coated with butter, and reduce the heat. Simmer the potatoes for about 20 minutes (depending on their size), then let them sit off the heat, still covered for another 5 minutes. This sort of "sets" them somehow. If you aren't sure after the 20 minutes, test one with a trussing skewer or other very thin, piercing instrument. They should be easy to pierce through, but not quite ready to eat, as they'll still cook more.

Toss the potatoes with 2 or 3 T of minced fresh herbs of your choice. I like chives & marjoram with a tiny bit of rosemary.

Chop a large, crisp apple into thick matchsticks and put into a bowl of salted water to prevent browning.

Now, cut the cooled potatoes into halves if they're small, quarters if they're larger, and chop the chicken meat into pieces slightly smaller than the potatoes.

Toss the potatoes, chicken & apples with your favorite creamy dressing, and garnish with your choice of chopped green onions, toasted, coarsely chopped cashews, chopped dried fruit of some kind or shelled pistachios.

My favorite dressing for this (though ranch is also very good) is a sort of variation on Thousand I guess, that my mother used to make:

Mom's Dressing
    2 c mayo
    1/2 c ketchup
    1/4 c Worcestershire
    1 T grated garlic
    2 t lemon juice
    1/2 t black pepper
    1/2 t powdered onion
    1 T honey
    1 t each dried savory, parsley, & basil

Mix all ingredients well. It should sit for at least a couple of hours in the fridge so the garlic won't be "hot" and the flavors of the dried herbs can develop, but if it can sit for longer, like all day, it's better.

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

wow. just found this thread. Those are som fancypants potato salads! I still love my mom's. White potatoes, one hard boiled egg chopped up, one tablespoon of yellow mustard and lots of real Dukes mayonnaise!

I made a fancy one myself the other day--and threw it out. Lots of ingredients that sounded great, but one bite and we all hated it! think it ws the curry powder and dijon mustard combo.

Sweet Potato Salad
    Recently while visiting Korea I enjoyed a delicious potato salad. Unlike the typical potato salad this salad was made with sweet potatoes (or pumpkin, I never found out for sure). I hope this Korean creation is savored as much as it was by me in Korea!

Serves: 6-8
    Prep Time: 15-20 minutes

Instructions:

1. In a medium size pot place the sweet potatoes and fill with water to cover half the potatoes

2. Bring to a boil, then cover and place on medium heat

3. Steam for 15-20 minutes so that the sweet potatoes are barely firm yet not too soft to chop

4. Pour the sweet potatoes into a colander and run cold water over them to cool

5. Cut the sweet potatoes into 3/4 inch cubes

6. Add the remaining ingredients

7. Wisk the dressing together and pour over the salad

8. Season with salt and pepper then toss and serve

Cooks Notes: This salad is best when the sweet potatoes are fully chilled. So you can either chill the potatoes before adding them to the salad, or you can take the short cut I take and place the whole bowl of salad into the deepfreeze for a few minutes for a quick chill!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler