SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalmom2008

Coil advice

socalmom2008
15 years ago

I posted earlier (last month?) about replacing my entire HVAC system. We have a 20 year old Carrier system. My husband does not want to do this until next year now and would like to save all year and pay cash for a new system.

In the meantime...

we were considering a new system because we had problems with our old system. We finally realized that the system was covered under our home warrenty company. They sent a technician (of their choice) to our house. One of the problems we said was that when we turned the system on, many times the a/c fuse would blow or the breaker would flip off. His solution was to change the breaker, fuse box. We also complained that the air was not that cold coming in the house. He said problems like this are most likely from a dirty coil. He said that warrenty companies will not clean dirty coils, but will replace them if they are leaky. And, one couldn't tell if they were leaking or dirty unless they took the system apart....

The repairman told the warrenty company it was leaking. So the warrenty company gave us 2 options to fix this problem.

They will replace the coil, but we will have to pay $250 to pay for the flue and ducting in the garage. Of course, the coil and condenser won't match. (The home warrenty company replaced the furnace motor last year instead of putting in a new furnace.)

Or we can take a $661 payout.

If we take the payout, we could pay someone to clean the coil OR we could save it for next year for a new system.

The breaker still has blown even after the new electrical items were installed. My father thinks that the compresser would be causing the electrical failures and not the coil and we should talk to the warrenty company again.

What option would you choose? Is it dangerous to have a dirty coil? How can you tell if it is leaking as opposed to being dirty? Obviously I want lower electrical bills that a cleaner coil can give us but if I save the money I can put in a higher end system next year.

(we are also affected by the mortgage mess and it's questionable if we will be here in 5-10 years, we hopefully could by next year).

thank you!

Comments (4)