SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larossbach

Mold in A/C coils

larossbach
9 years ago

Hello everyone,

My A/C contractor informed me after the annual check-up visit that my 26-year-old attic unit has extensive mold in the coils and throughout the inside of the unit. He showed me a picture and it looked pretty gross. His recommendation was to replace the unit. Follow-up with his company has revealed that they do not offer any service to remove the mold because it will only come back unless UV lights are installed, which wouldn't be economical for an older unit.

We bought this house two years ago. I assume the mold has been in the unit since we got here and everyone in the family is healthy. Any thoughts on whether this is mostly just a scare tactic? If it really is a problem, do you think an efficient handyman could do the job, or do other a/c companies offer cleaning services, or do we need to go to a mold remediation service?

Finally, the technician said that if we had the unit replaced, the old unit is too big to be removed and so they would just leave it up there in the attic. Doesn't that sound like a bad idea if the thing is filled with mold?

Ugh. Thanks for any insights or advice you might be able to provide.

Comments (11)