SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emcsq_gw

Post Granite Installation Questions

emcsq
11 years ago

Hi! We had our Giallo Ornamental granite installed last weekend. There were a few minor problems, but the installers adjusted, and we are pretty happy with the outcome. I just have a couple of quick questions about what is normal/acceptable before we settle up.

One of the drawer fronts in our new cabinets was scratched/chipped pretty badly. Luckily, we are using IKEA cabinets, so we can replace it without too much trouble.

The installers also inflicted some decent scratches in our new hardwood floor. They are probably not terribly noticeable to most people except us, but they are there nonetheless. We can't really replace the scratched strips, probably only cover up the scratches with a wood pen (not ideal for a high-traffic area). So, my question is whether we should ask the granite installer to deduct the cost of the new drawer front and some compensation for the floor from our final bill? We are DIYers, so we are dealing with the fabricator directly.

Lastly, I've noticed that if water sits on the granite for more than a few minutes (like from pooling around the bottom of a soap dispenser), it leaves a dark spot on the granite even after the water is wiped up. The dark spot does eventually disappear after about 10 minutes or so. I know that granite is porous, so does that mean the water is soaking into the stone? Is that evidence of a poor seal, or is it perfectly normal? Just wondering whether to be concerned.

Thanks as always for the wonderful advice shared on this board. We hope to have pictures up soon!

Comments (5)