SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runninginplace

So, How Did Your T'Giving Go?

runninginplace
14 years ago

After the pre-holiday planning, how did everyone's holiday turn out? Especially those of us loving, or foolish, enough to host throngs of families and friends?

We had a nice gathering. The weather thankfully cooperated, with rain stopping in the morning and a lovely clear day after that. Since I serve buffet style from my DR table and everyone eats on the patio with overflow under the oak trees in the backyard...that was a major relief.

We finished off 11 pounds of turkey breast, 8 pounds of baked potatoes, 4(!) types of stuffing, 2 dozen deviled eggs, a pound each of peas and corn, and a large casserole dish of green bean casserole. For dessert we almost made it through the entirety of 2 pumpkin pies, apple pie, chocolate cream pie, key lime pie, ice cream cake, red velvet cupcakes w/cream cheese frosting, chocolate chip cookies and a dense flourless chocolate cake that was to die for-more of a chocolate mousse, yum.

Redbazel, the make-ahead potatoes from pioneerwoman were incredible!! Tasted wonderful reheated and the savings on time and energy not to be cooking/mashing 8 pounds of potatoes in the midst of food prep...priceless.

Although I enjoy having everyone here, it is a lot of work. We don't have a dishwasher so trying to keep my galley kitchen from being overwhelmed with dirty dishes and prep equipment is always a challenge. Minor gripe: my stepmother got into some kind of holiday frenzy and showed up, an hour late, with almost a second holiday meal of her own. I really don't know what she was thinking; once she and my dad got to my house they just kept hauling in stuff. As any cook knows, having someone toss in an entire new set of food and equipment in the middle of a party already arranged, and in progress, oye!

Other gripe-my kids were not as much help as I would have liked. They are both old enough, at 18 and 21 YO, to know what needs to be done. But my son and my husband are in the rams-butting-heads stage of life so that's a bit touchy. Every time I'd ask my son to do X, his dad would yell at him for not doing it right/not needing to do it/doing it carelessly. Then my son would get mad. Ad nauseum. My daughter spent most of the morning primping. Then topped that off by not helping me during dinner or after, and making a snarky remark to me at one point during the party...she is going to be at home tonight (grounded) so she can ponder being a bit more respectful. Son left last night to stay w/a friend with whom he is hunting today. I love them both but sometimes this stage of life is a bit trying and reminds me I have to remind THEM to give of themselves not just take!

Otherwise a good time was had by all. And, regarding another topic of discussion, we had folks come at 1 pm for appetizers, the meal was served at 3, dessert at 4:30 and everyone left by 6 pm. Great timing for a party. We finished cleaning and tidying up in time for my kids to go off for their evenings and my husband and I to sit and decompress awhile. I even got a few hours to unwind with the new and fascinating book I"m reading. All in all, a great day! I am so thankful and grateful each time all my extended family gathers, that here we all are once again to share time and love with each other.

Ann

Comments (13)