SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drahme_gw

So how did your winter go?

drahme
17 years ago

Well, my winter went pretty well considering.

Our oldest rose, Mr Lincoln suffered some damage to the oldest canes, as in they split in half. New growth coming out though.

Darlow's Enigma and Jan's Wedding said, 'Winter? what winter."

We added two roses - Black Magic (HT) and Austrian Copper (Rambler) to the fold. Will they surive? Stay posted.

My Dwarf Pampas grass and SilverStripe starts haven't showed anything - death or life. Perhaps they are smarter than I would have thought.

An interesting item: The Elderberry plants from Oregon leafed out before anything else and they still have their leaves.

Nootka and Little Wild rose from Oregon are showing signs of life. I thought Little Wild Rose was toast.

Orange Currant - looks like one of two survived.

Most of the Cranberry treees did amazingly well. The late snow storm killed lots of blossoms but the trees themselves look really nice.

Osage Orange - Looked like everything died, but there is green underneath the double matted weed barrier.

My Day Lily imports from Kansas are very green - will be nice to see some actual blossoms.

I contributed another 6.7 pounds of cacti to the burn pile (I weighed it out of curiosity). If anyone is interested in cacti - Opuntia primarily, I have plenty.

I am still interested in keepers (other than the ones I have):

http://www.ddgnevada.com/plants/Stuff%20That%20Grows%20in%20Nevada.html

Let's see, what else.......... Oh, four sprinkler heads are fried - replacing those.

All in all, I think everything fared pretty well this year. It looks like not too many cranberries in the future (not shedding a tear here) is a given.

I have at least a dozen cranberry suckers coming up -

http://www.ddgnevada.com/plants/month/0407/0407.html

and if anyone wants one, let me know. They are quite beautiful in the spring.

I think Malus Prairie Fire

may provide some awesome starts after a couple years.

If you are looking for a good looking crab year round,

look at Prairie Fire. I spent a fair amount of time travelling up through Iowa for a year and could not help but admire the the Crabs at the rest stops.

I finally found someone who was familiar with the plantings and at virtually every stop from Kansas City to Des Moines, they all used Prairie Fire.

- A great choice if you are looking for a Crab.

- dRahme

Here is a link that might be useful: Nevada Horticulture

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations