SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

What do you think about an upstairs wall unit?

swampwiz
14 years ago

It seems that homes that have an upstairs (especially 1-1/2 story homes in which the roof is the ceiling) have a hard time keeping cool, since there is so much insolation on the roof, and warm air rises. I remember in my old house, I would have to set the thermostat quite low to get the upstairs at a decent temperature, but as a side effect, the downstairs would be too cold. And on hot clear sunny days, it was impossible to get the upstairs cool enough (fortunately my upstairs was the game room, so I didn't need to be there.)

Anyway, my sister's house has a similar upstairs design, and she had a second HVAC unit put in. The beauty of this is not just the extra cooling capacity, but the fact that it runs independently of the main unit, so that the main unit can be set to properly maintain the atmosphere of the downstairs, while the upstairs unit can be set for its atmosphere as well.

For my new home, I will have some rooms with cathedral ceilings, and the warm air can rise up, and I could care less about it (I will have fans, but they will be at about the same height as if they were in a 9' ceiling room.) There will be a 2 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs (about 350 ft^2 total), and it seems like I should get a single small, wall mounted booster unit for those 2 rooms (e.g., 1/2 or 1 ton.)

I've seen these types of units in Europe. The condenser unit is simply bolted onto the side of the building, and a small evaporator unit and fan on the inside. As I understand it, they are becoming more popular in the USA, as some folks don't want to hassle with a window unit.

What do you think? Has anyone done something like this? I know that some folks have gotten complete central units for the upstairs, but what about for a situation like this?

Comments (6)