SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Do you think, and rethink, and think again about your choices?

I wasn't like that when I first began planting because my garden plots were dirt and the sky was the limit. I tumbled back to earth when I realized how many choices were wrong for this new microclimate that I hadn't experienced before, and which stressed many roses severely. Still, I would cull the failures and order and keep ordering. It was cooler, there was more rain and the garden was lush. I had a lot more roses and it all looked pretty good. Come the five year drought and a drastic wake-up call. The number of roses was cut in half and now every choice I make assumes tremendous importance, especially since the youngsters that I often bought took forever before they made a positive statement in the garden. I planted Aloha, Duchesse de Brabant and Blush Noisette against the house wall and then wondered why I hadn't just put Reve d'Or, one of my favorite roses, there. What was I thinking? Aloha was stiff, DdB is droopy and BN barely blooms before it fries. I probably should have put Grandmother's Hat in Aloha's place. Mme. Joseph Schwartz would have been better than DdB. I took out pink Gruss an Aachen because it began to deteriorate. Why didn't I wait longer and give it another year to improve? Plum Perfect has plumb refused to grow as has Carding Mill. Leave them in or take them out? One International Herald Tribune is blooming well and growing, the other was cut down by rabbits an is about an inch tall. Take it out or give it another chance, while it meanwhile leaves an ugly gap? Ditto with Love Song, which obviously hates me. Mme. Antoine Mari is growing super well and blooming a lot, but the blooms fry almost immediately with those thin petals. Ditto Charles Darwin, whose blooms looked so lovely in the spring. Mrs. Henry Morse took a hit almost immediately with squirrels knocking off one baby branch and something eating a hopeful new cluster of leaves. Why in the world did I not protect it!

With the world most likely going to hell in a hand basket, I torture myself with these ultimately meaningless and unimportant matters. Is anyone else this compulsive (bordering on the slightly crazy) or am I the only one? Sometimes I think gardening is one area that I can control (or so I tell myself) and that's why these choices are so important to me. Nevertheless, I wish I were one of those people who can make a selection, call it good, and never question it again.

I want to know how you all deal with this situation. I suppose I'd like to know that I'm not the only one who should be sedated for her own good.

Comments (2)