SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eg3d

Prayers please

EG3d
11 years ago

So much for jobs being created. The place I have been working for 3 years full time and part time the year before that just let me and many, many others go. The place may go out of business in a year or even before. Anyway, no warning - thanks! But adios! So please, pray that I find something!

Eileen

Comments (16)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry, Eileen! I will be praying for you.

• User
    11 years ago

I'm sorry that this has happened to you; it's a scary position to be in. When I was in mortgage banking (as a single mother) it was like being on a constant roller coaster and the axe would often fall without warning. The odd thing about it is that when it did happen, I'd always seem to find something I was either more challenged with or even earned more doing. I believe things happen for a reason and there is something better out there for you. My fingers are crossed and I'm sending prayers your way.

• Related Discussions

Need some prayers, please...(long)

Q

Comments (19)
    Oh dear, Linda, I'm so sorry to hear about Chrissy. AS Jude said, cancer doesn't play favorites. Lots of hugs to you and prayers and wishes to Chrissy's family and friends, I'm sending all the strong thoughts I can for everyone, especially her children. And you, of course. Annie
    ...See More

Prayers Please

Q

Comments (34)
    Just got back from the Cancer Center. The Oncologist said that "this is worrisome." He said that the mass on his kidney is not really large but he wants Jim to see a urologist.He thinks that he will have surgery rather than a biopsy.He is afraid that the biopsy will spread the cancer. They might be able to take just part of the kidney but they could take the entire kidney. Please keep the prayers going.
    ...See More

Could use some extra prayers please

Q

Comments (39)
    Today started good even tho mom wouldn't cooperate. We are thinking possible stroke. BP went very low after lunch. Left corner of her mouth drew in. Couldn't hold her head up eyes going all different directions. Very little urine output. In fact still didn't have enough for a lab sample at 8pm. Dr ordered CT scan which came back negative. At a good lunch for her. Hoping it's just the meds but don't know. Thanks everyone for all the good wishes.
    ...See More

Prayers, please.

Q

Comments (0)
    My son has tested positive for COVID. He says he is not sick, just feels like he might have a mild summer cold coming on. He has not had the vaccine yet. So he is taking all the antibiotics and whatever else was prescribed, and is self quarantined for 10 days. His wife tested negative, and they have no kids at home. Hoping and praying it gets no worse for him. Rusty
    ...See More
  • User
    11 years ago

I am sorry this has happened to you. My Ds2 is also out of work and has not been able to find anything. He has unemployment but that doesn't cover his rent and everything else besides so we are currently helping every month. I hope you find something that will pay the bills SOON ! c

• tinam61
    11 years ago

i'm really sorry you are dealing with this again Eileen. I will certainly keep you in my prayers!!

tina

• jennifer_in_kansas
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear you've been let go. Like Lukki, I was involved in the mortgage industry layoffs and understand what an emotional time this is going to be for you.

My contacts were my greatest assets. Keep in touch with everyone, even if you weren't best friends. Open or update your LinkedIn account to reflect you're currently looking for a job. Seek out people you worked with outside the company that you had a good relationship with. You really never know when, where, or from whom a job opportunity will pop up.

Jennifer

• sable_ca
    11 years ago

I will be thinking about you, Eileen. You have already overcome so many obstacles, and my prayer is that you will get past this one as well.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I am so sorry. Do send out the word to all friends and family. Contacts always seem to be the best way to find jobs. I am also hoping for something wonderful to happen for you. One interim job might be substitute teaching. Our school district is always in need of good subs for teachers and assistants. At least that could bring in something until you find the right job.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Eileen, I feel your pain-- and your worry. I too was laid off and am actively looking for a new position. It is a scary time. I recommend that you take some time to grieve and vent(if needed) and then try to see this as an opportunity! It's so easy to spend our energy resenting the company that laid us off-- but that doesnt do anything but suck our time and allow the negativity to hang near us. Instead, look at this as a chance to find something BETTER. In this economy, many of us choose not to look for for better work or leave jobs because the security and tenure of a current job beats the unknown (in my case, I stayed with my company after a merger). Do all that you can to stay positive.

I know, easier said than done. Here's my formula..

1. Use the time when not looking for a job to catch up on reading or gardening or something you love-- I recommend something that's a bit of an escape.

2. Be good to yourself.. remember that a widespread layoff has nothing to do with you -- and everything to do with how the COMPANY managed their own setbacks. It's absolutely not about you or the job you did.

3. Be positive in interviews.. every potential employer understands the economic climate and job situation. Don't be apologetic and don't be negative towards your previous employer. You will shine to a potential employer if you can be positive and show a great outlook .. they'll see that you won't wilt in the face of a challenge and they'll recognize that you will be a positive addition to their staff!

4. Teach yourself a new skill.. I don't know your field, but learn a new software tool, start learning a new language, read about what's new in the field, look for free online webinars in your field (don't discount YouTube-- there are some very helpful videos out there on a number of topics), learn about social media (it touches all jobs in one way or another-- and woefully few companies use it effectively).

5. Work your network. I have avoided specific job search techniques because they DO vary by industry, level and region you are in-- but it's always a good idea to reach out to the people in your life to get leads or ideas. Even if it seems like their work is too unrelated-- you never know who they know or what they heard in a meeting last week!

Did I say be good to yourself?

Best of luck.. sending many wishes and positive energy! May we both find awesome new jobs before the new year!

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your great prayers and great ideas!! I appreciate them!!

• lascatx
    11 years ago

So sorry to hear for you and funkyart. My brother just started a job late in the summer after what I think was a yer and a half. He had started a business before that job doing repairs and handyman stuff for neighbors, friends and realtors, so he went back to some of that. I had him come help me and was glad he was here helping me move my dad when I had brown water coming through my ceiling late one night. He helped us pull down the ceiling, find the problem with the original construction (we had been suspecting and issue and planning to pull down the ceiling as part of a master bath remodel) and make the repairs. I have a new ceiling waiting for that remodel. We saved each other, but my point is to keep moving. Take some time to grieve whether it be now or you feel it later -- people experience losses differently, but either way, know it's okay to be feeling it. Just don't allow yourself to get lost in it.

Make your new job finding the next job. Spend regular time on it even if you don't feel like it. At least you know you did something and are one step closer to wherever you are going. You never know when you will make a call and talk to someone who lights up your day -- and one of those may lead to the best job you've ever had.

Keep in mind too that this is a good time for seasonal work. So many retail and service places here are advertising. Some of those jobs can lead to new jobs, contacts that lead to new jobs, maybe even a different interest altogether. It will keep you on a schedule, keep you around people and help bring in some money while you figure out the next step.

Best of luck to both of you.

• golddust
    11 years ago

For me, this goes back to another thread where Oakley wanted to take food home at a buffet restaurant. Innocent as it was...

If you own a business, you become responsible for your employees. Good decisions and policies are crucial for survival in an environment that has become global. You can never fall asleep and every decision affects others ability to pay the mortgage and dance lessons for the kids. As well as our own survival. If employees don't understand why policies are set and subvert them, it affects everyone and can burry the business. Communication and solid leadership is essential for security.

Not saying that is what happened in your case, Eileen. Just saying that being in business today isn't easy.

I wish you the best in finding a good job, whose owners are smarter than the company you worked for before. It is cut throat.

• lyfia
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry funkyart and Eileen. I just joined you guys a couple of weeks ago. Found out while I was on vacation. I do have until the end of the month though and have to come back after my vacation with my whole team gone. A handful of us had to stay to help transition people and the rest were walked out that day.

I have found linkedin to be very helpful in making connections as well as through former co-workers that are now at different companies. I had one phone interview this am and it went well so they are going to ask me in for an onsite interview. I really hope something will come out of it, but I'm a bad interviewer when I'm nervous and seems like my brain just shuts down and since all the interviews for me are very technical that just doesn't work.

I hope all of us can find something better and will come out of this with something that makes us happier no matter what it may be in the end.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Lyfia, sorry to hear you too have joined the ranks. And I have found linkedin somewhat helpful as well.. but the reality (for me) is that there are not many jobs available at my level. My recruiters are very encouraging but they tell me that I should plan on 12-18 months. I am in month 8 and whipping through savings. I will give it until the after the spring and then I will start considering switching to another field-- if I have to take a deep pay cut, I'd rather do it on another career path rather than taking two steps back in my own.

I do appreciate the well wishes -- and I want to be clear, I don't want to hijack Eileen's thread. I DID want to let her know that she isnt alone.. and to remind her to take care of herself through this phase. It is so easy to get lost or depressed.. but I hope that it helps knowing there are others out there who are not just pulling for you but also know how you feel.

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The place I worked at has been going down. Even last year they contemplated bankruptcy. Business was down 35% this year from last year which was down from the year before. I am grateful for all your good wishes and prayers.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

My goodness, you have certainly had your share of troubles in the last couple of years. Sending good thoughts your way.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

I am so sorry. I am going to send you vibes of peace and finding a path of "enough"-- enough food, enough rest, enough companionship, etc. I can tell in your decorating that you are creative and a problem-solver, so I foresee positive things coming your way.