SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seansean_gw

Urgent A/C and furnace replacement questions

seansean
10 years ago

Hi, IâÂÂm going to replace the original builder A/C and the furnace that are over 20 years old because of refrigerant leakage. My situation is as follows:
⢠Baltimore area
⢠Built in 1992
⢠2-story, 2,600 sq ft, plus 800-1000 sqft finished basement
⢠Summer thermo set at 77 degrees, winter thermo set at 67 degrees
⢠Natural gas furnace and indoor coil installed in basement
⢠Current (builder) system: outside unit HEIL CA5042VKA1 (3.5 ton?), inside unit NUGE100BG01 by Inter-City Products.

IâÂÂm quoted a few Trane systems (mostly 4-ton). The one IâÂÂm leaning towards is:
TRANE 4TTR6042B XR16, 3.5 Ton; XV80 TUD2C080B9V4, 80%, Two stage, Variable speed. Matching coil to achieve SEER 16.0, EER 13.0. Honeywell 8000 series thermostat. Price installed is in the ballpark of $6K.

Is this a reasonable system? And specifically:

1. The contractor had not done a Manual J calculation when I asked him. He said the ductwork is good to handle even a 4-ton system. I asked him whether 4-ton would be too big, and he answered 3.5 ton would be okay but too few models to choose from in the 3.5 ton category.

2. In terms of extracting moisture for better comfort, is the single-stage XR-16 good when pairing up with the variable-speed blower? Or should I pay $1.5K more for a 2-stage XR17?

3. Is it okay to replace the current 100K input BTUH furnace with the 80K BTUH XV80? With the 2-stage, variable-speed, will the house get enough heat in winter?

4. Is the Honeywell 8000 series thermostat good enough? IâÂÂve seen a lot of posts advocating for âÂÂVisionPro IAQâÂÂ; should I upgrade?

As the temperature is rising in the next couple days, I really need to make a decision as soon as possible. Greatly appreciate any feedback from the pros here!

Comments (6)