SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
busybme

I'm stumped...please help!

busybme
15 years ago

We are undertaking a major 3-phase remodel/addition to our home and I hadn't planned on doing anything more to the kitchen than giving it a facelift (new appliances, counters, sinks, etc). But now my plan looks like it under-utilizes the space that I have: would you please take a look?

As part of the remodel, I am removing some walls and will lose 2 large pantries but will be making up the lost space with a large butler-style pantry in the hall (shown on the plan across from the stairs). Not as convenient, but more storage overall, being 5'7" x 6'10+".

What I would like to have: family dining for at least 4, micro/wall oven combo, larger island, with bar seating if possible. Also, my husband is missing his bar area from our last house and it would be nice if we could incorporate that 'adult' storage somewhere (perhaps near the family room?)

I'm not a big fan of ovens next to fridges but would consider it. I can bump into the family room or dining room if necessary, although I would prefer not to. Currently, there is a wall seperating the family room from the kitchen with only a door-width opening near the end of the cabinet run shown below. Should I keep some of that wall for cabinets?

I really can't imagine losing anymore storage in the kitchen. As it is, I will be pinched, as I am sacrificing 2 upper cabinets along the family room wall in order to open that up to the kitchen. I was hoping to compensate by adding organizers/inserts into the current cabinets to better use their space.

We are trying to keep the costs down by mainting the current locations for sink and range. And also utilizing the current cabinetry (medium cherry) as much as possible, although we would love to incorporate some antiques white into the room. The plan is to do hardwood floors throughout the spaces shown, with the exception of the powder room, which will be tile. The little niche in the breakfast area was planned to hold a hutch (we will have to move a wall to get that niche).

The photo below shows my planned space:

I've been hooked to GW for almost a year now, reading and learning and being inspired! But, now that we are about to begin phase 1, which will be taking down some of the walls, I'm concerned about the end result.

Please offer your thoughts and advice!!

Thanks! Sandy

Comments (12)