SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Craigs List REALLY paid off!!

13 years ago

On Wednesday, DH and I discovered we'd been robbed of 3 guns sometime over the last 3-4 weeks. Nothing else was missing, just these 3 shot guns that had been in the gun case in our family room. We knew immediately that it had been someone who knew DH's patterns, had been in our house before, and who knew the dogs. I immediately suspected this guy who DH had hired off an on to do work for him. DH wasn't sure, he felt it probably was the guy (call him S), but didn't want to believe that S would do that to him.

We called the sheriffs and made a report. We told them we suspected S, but had no proof. The Deputy told us that S had an existing warrant and they would probably pick him up on that anyway. We also decided to place an add on CL listing a reward for the return of, or information about our guns. We had several people give us tips of places to post messages and other places to check (pawn shops, etc)...they were all very nice and helpful people. But then last night we had a call from a fellow named Tim to call him about the guns.

Today DH called Tim and lo and behold...S had sold him our guns!! S told Tim that he had worked for a concrete contractor and the contractor couldn't pay him the $300 for the job, so he gave S the guns in exchange. Of course, this was a complete lie...in fact, S owed DH $30!! Tim's neighbor mentioned to him yesterday about our CL ad, and Tim was honest and called us. DH went and got the guns and Tim was so upset and angry with S...not that HE was out the money, but that S had stolen the guns.

Apparently S got in our back slider door while DH was out. DH had failed to lock that door before leaving. S slipped in, got past the dogs (he'd played with them before, so knew how to handle them) and wrapped the guns in our BBQ cover.

Tim gave DH the guns, didn't want any reward or money, and agreed to give the police his statement. His wife hated S the first time she met him, thought he was a creep and my DH told him that I had the same reaction. I never liked S and chewed DH out repeatedly for letting that creep near our home. Tim & DH compared notes and concluded that S was a regular thief...S once told DH he could get him some locker beef at a good price, but I told DH we didn't want any. It appears Tim had a couple freezers of beef, and S had probably been ripping him off for a while. S had also done work for Tim in the past.

So thanks to CraigsList and honest people, we've got our stolen property back and if all goes well, another thief will be off the streets. And HOPEFULLY, my DH will start to listen to me when I tell him some people give me the creeps and I don't want them around.

Comments (17)