SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beache_gw

What would you offer fo this on Craig's List?

beache
11 years ago

I have a leather Ethan Allen sofa and this matching recliner. The chair has been damaged and we must replace it. They are no longer making this style but I know that 2 or 3 years ago the recliner was selling for $2,000. I bought it 5 or 6 years ago and it didn't cost me that much, plus it was on sale.

Anyway, I've been looking for a replacement that doesn't cost a fortune, but have found nothing yet in the stores. I stumbled on a Craig's List ad and it was the same chair I lost, but the seller wants $1500 for it! I'm guessing the seller doesn't buy or sell used items very often or s/he would never be asking this much! In my mind when selling a used item you can expect to sell it for 1/4 to 1/3 of it's original selling price, and furniture even less.

We've gone back and forth with a few emails, but seller is not budging on the price. Just curious what you all have to say about a fair offer in this piece.....

Comments (24)

• annzgw
    11 years ago

The chair looks to be in excellent condition. How long has he owned it and what did he pay for it? It may have cost him more than $2000 if he went with a more expensive leather.

There are many factors to consider when setting a price and I don't think one can say you can expect to get 1/4-1/3 of original selling price. I've sold many items and the most I've taken off is 30% and sometimes I get a little less than what I paid if the item is currently selling for more than what I paid for it.

Since he's firm on the price, guessing what a good offer is is kinda mute. If he was open to offers, and it's in as good a condition as it looks, I would offer $1200.
    Otherwise, if you decide not to buy it right now, keep his info and check in at a later date to see if it sold.

• User
    11 years ago

"They are no longer making this style but I know that 2 or 3 years ago the recliner was selling for $2,000. I bought it 5 or 6 years ago and it didn't cost me that much, plus it was on sale."

New, it was $2,000, or used? Is the one pictured yours or the one from CL? Is the leather on the CL one the same as yours, and is that full grain, bonded, or bi-cast? You said yours is damaged. Was it a fault of the chair? Would this one suffer the same fate?

I agree that most furniture on CL is 1/2 of retail, or less, much less, if it is older. If this chair is 6 years old, I probably wouldn't go over 1/3 of the price it cost new.

Since the sellers aren't willing to negotiate, I'd tell them I can't go that high on a 6 year old chair, wish them well, and tell them if it doesn't sell at their price, give you a call.

• Related Discussions

Craig's List Chairs - What do you think?

Q

Comments (41)
    So glad you got them! I've raised chairs almost identical to yours by having the upholsterer make the back cushions a few inches taller. Worked great. He also added a bit of padding to the arms to bulk them up a bit. Good chairs do not have screw on legs, as Pal has said, and Sherrill is( or was) of excellent quality. Matter of fact, I have a Sherrill loveseat from the 70's in my mbr, with much use from kids and dogs, and still in great shape. Do the legs looks as good as they appear in the pics? If not, you can always spiff them up with some restror a finish. Good deal!! p.s. Love the fabric you're planning.
    ...See More

How do you search Craig's List?

Q

Comments (22)
    I love all of the advice here. I LOVE the idea of opening up each listing in another tab. Who knew you can do that?? I tried it, and it saves so much time. I have been addicted to tabs since I started using Firefox years ago. And now Internet Explorer and other browsers also use tabs. I have been surprised to find out how many people I know don't know how to use tabs in their browser. They are a huge timesaver. Not so much back arrow clicking, makes shopping and surfing so much easier.
    ...See More

craigs list table and chair / what do you think?

Q

Comments (3)
    You know I'm not sure what kind of chairs I was looking for. I want fabric in the chairs I'm just not sure about being "locked in" to slip covers. I'm going to try to see it in person sometime this week. Maybe that will help. It feels like a good deal to me but maybe not... Thanks for your input - it helps to get other opinions! Lori
    ...See More

craigs list and offer to buy

Q

Comments (17)
    I deleted any information about the 'buyer'. Chances are if you had done a google search on a phrase or sentence from the email, several search results would have shown that it was a craigslist scammer. Whenever anyone sends me an email that makes some outrageous claim, (you know the ones), I just google a phrase or sentence and the results brings up Snopes and Urban Legends, among others. Google knows....
    ...See More
  • beache
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The one pictured is from Craig's List. It is exactly the same chair I had. Seller says he paid $2,000 three years ago. I don't know the terminology, but it is a very soft, high quality leather. Mine was ruined when my cat became ill and mistook the chair for a litter box......

The ad said "must sell" so I told him to let me know if anything changes. Meanwhile I will continue to look for something else that will complement the sofa.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

It depends on your area but I would be surprised if the owner will get anywhere close to the asking price of $1,500 on craigslist. A Hancocks or Bradington and Young and few others would get close to that in my area at $800 to $1,300 on craigslist. An Ethan would go for $450 to $675. There are a few brands that fall in between those above in used CL price. All other lower qualities sell for a $150 to mid high $300's.I'm in Florida and that color is a hard sell. It was popular here in the early to mid 2000's. I had a sofa in that color that was in nice condition and a mid/high quality...I had to squeeze $275 out of the guy. If it was not in that color I would have gotten much more.

• User
    11 years ago

That's exactly why I'm hanging on to my sofa jterrilynn. I know I couldn't get over $200 for it. Upholstered furniture doesn't do well here either unless it's a well known high end brand.

• beache
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I offered $450 so that we had a bit of room to negotiate up to $500. My friends who are big Craig's Listers thought that was way too high. In this area newish leather chairs sell for less than $150. Some sellers have perfect condition leather sofas and loveseats or large sectionals for $300 to $500! It's a tough pill to swallow when you've paid so much for something, but the market dictates the selling price.

• dakota01
    11 years ago

I sold my couch, chair and ottoman on craigslist last winter. THe leather and stuffing was in excellent condition. It was probably 10 years old, but I don't anyone ever even sat in the chair. It was a very good brand and I think we paid around 4K for it.
    I sold all 3 pieces for $600. first person to look at it bought it and never asked me to budge on the price.
    I think your seller is asking wayyy to much for a used even if like mine it was never sat in piece of furniture

• Jess TKA
    11 years ago

I can't see it selling for that high on CL since, in my opinion, most people willing and able to hand over that large of a sum of cash for a chair would prefer to spend just a few hundred more to get it brand new without someone else's "wear" all over it. ;)

What's most strange to me is that he'd say "must sell" in the ad (what I read as code for willing to negotiate with a decent amount of wiggle room) and then refuse to budge from the list price. That would irritate me enough to walk away.

• detroit_burb
    11 years ago

You can buy an Eames lounger or some other collectible for 1500 used which is less likely to depreciate. This chair is nice, but not worth 1500, and has no future value as a classic piece because these are mass produced.

I would wait and watch, it will likely come down in price over the next few weeks if the seller wants it gone.

"Must sell" on Craigslist means nothing.

• beache
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After several emails with the wife I felt that she realized she'd never get close to that price. She told me she would talk to her DH about my offer of $450. The reply I got today said "He laughed. Sorry".

So I wished her good luck and will be moving on.

• User
    11 years ago

Sigh, I never see such nice stuff on Craigslist... but as for pricing I totally agree that the seller's expectations are out of line. From what I see, once an item has "left the store" so to speak, it loses at least half its value. If they are serious about selling it, I would expect taht you will hear from them again. But in the meantime, keep looking! Good luck. I know I browse quite a bit hoping to find a really good condition, barely used item and most of what I see is only decent usable but not nice. (kind of like what I am replacing).......
    anyway you are most definitely in touch with reality.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I would offer what you think it's worth not what they think it's worth. I wanted $1700 for my used car but the dealer offered me $1000. I got $1300. That was what I was willing to take and what they were willing to pay. Higher or lower -- no deal.

I bet they will be stuck with that chair for a long time. People have a really inflated view of what some furniture is worth. They are thinking about what it cost them rather than what someone might pay. He's been using that chair, spilling crumbs on it, putting his feet on it (and worse).

If you really want it, increase your offer to $600 and that is your top offer, and that it stands until you find another chair.

• texanjana
    11 years ago

In my area, that chair would probably sell for $300 on Craigslist. That guy will never get his asking price.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

Just chipping in...on my CL, most things go for what you'd expect to pay at a garage sale. Occasionally you'll find a seller listing things at consignment store prices, but they never sell. If that were my chair, I'd probably ask $600 expecting about $350 at best.

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

I guess this is not the same chair ??
    Selling new for $1800~

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=2272

• bestyears
    11 years ago

A long time ago, someone on here posted a general rule for CL items that I've discovered works over and over again. List the item for 25% of what you paid, and negotiate from there based on demand. So, here, let's assume the chair went for about $1800. 25% would be $450. Then it would probably be negotiated to $350 -which is exactly what a few people have suggested. See, it works again! So I too, would offer about $350.

• beache
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. If she gets back in touch with me I will probably offer less than the $450 I originally offered.

Bestyears--That's pretty much what I told her in my email...that 25% of what you paid is pretty standard, and furniture will often go for less than that.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Good luck. It looks like it's in great condition. If you can get them to around $400-500, I would probably agree to that. This person is crazy thinking they'll get $1500. They should come around after it will sit there.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

used furniture has very low reselling price (unless it is an antique).

Mass produced items dont hold value especially something that is used a lot by people such as chairs, sofas etc. There is that 'ewww' factor of buying something that others have used such as clothes and furniture.

$300 - $500.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

Keep looking, here is a similar one for $1100. Usually a first time poster on CL. One month later, it will be listed far lower :)

Here is a link that might be useful: recliner

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Couldn't you get a new recliner for less? I find the price to be over-inflated for something 'used'. Let it go and watch for it to be re-listed. If that should happen, the owner may decide he/she will take what they can get.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Maybe this is just a bad month for CL. There are a bunch of crackpots on there lately. I have a desk listed dirt cheap and keep getting these whiny young twenty something's wanting me to deliver a $25 desk for free. When I say no they get really whiny and say they guess they'll have to ask their mom or dad. Sheesh! My son has a room for rent and I could write a book on those crackpot responses.

• lynn_r_ct
    11 years ago

After the disrespectful comment that her husband "laughed" at your offer, there is not a chance that I would buy that chair, unless they offered it for free, with free delivery. How nasty.

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

I love this thread...I can't imagine anyone paying that much for a used chair. Their reply was rude, but maybe they will be contacting you later when they really need to sell it.

Can't wait to hear if anything comes of it.