boo hoo, I soaked my cast iron skillet

bbstx

I have a small Lodge pre-seasoned cast iron skillet. Last night I fried some sausages in it. When I tried to clean it, little bits still stuck to the skillet. I decided to put a little water in it and let it soak for "just a minute." I got distracted and did not get back to the skillet until this morning.

I have thoroughly washed it with a blue scrubby sponge and a bit of dish soap. Then dried it with paper towels. Not much color on the paper towels UNTIL I coated it with oil. Then something from the skillet came off on the paper towels. The were kind of charcoal grey-ish. It is now in a 250 degree oven.

Did I do right? Is there something else I need to do (other than buy a timer to remind me to get back to things...but that is a whole different subject!)?

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arkansas girl

I actually soak mine all the time but after I dry them I put them on a burner to dry completely and put some oil in it and then use a paper towel to dry up excess oil. I've had my skillet for 30 years. I love it. Maybe the experts would disagree with me but I've found no ill effects from soaking it as long as I dry it on the burner and then put oil in it right away.

Save    
shaun

I finally got my mom's cast iron skillets from my sister. The bottoms of them are shiny to the point they look wet but they're not! Is this a sign of a well seasoned skillet?

Save    
bbstx

AR girl, my mother has always soaked her cast iron skillets. And washed them with soap and water, and even on occasion, scrubbed them with SOS. And they always seem to stay "seasoned." But hers are older than dirt and she has done years of frying in them... she fries everything (for those of you who have visions of overweight southerners, my mother is VERY slender)! Mine is fairly new. I'm hopeful that rubbing with oil and putting it in the oven for a while will be all I need to do.

Save    
lindac

If your skillet is fairly new, you will need to grease and heat repeatedly.
Linda C

Save    
bbstx

I just took my skillet out of the oven where it had been heating with oil on it for about two hours. When I wipe down the "floor" of the inside, the paper towel comes away with dark stuff on it, but that doesn't happen when I wipe the sides of the inside or the outside. Is it just dirty? What should I do next?

Save    
arley_gw

All is not lost. Seasoning is an ongoing process, and whatever (minimal) seasoning the Lodge folks applied to your skillet will soon be supplanted by your own efforts.

FWIW, here's how I clean cast iron that needs some scouring: use coarse salt and paper towels, with just a little bit of water if needed, to loosen up the stuck on stuff. Then rinse the pan with hot water, dry it with another paper towel, put it back on the stove a few minutes to drive off any remaining water, and then while it's still warm apply a thin coat of oil.

The cast iron guru in this forum is Dan ('danab'); I've learned a lot of info from his posts. Some of his previous threads are linked to in this recent thread about cast iron and soap.

Here is a link that might be useful: cast iron and soap

Save    
hawk307

bbstx: You did alright. You get a Gold Star.

You also have good advice.

I do the same as Arkansas.I season mine on the Range top,
after coating it with oil.

Better in the oven at about 300 Degrees. For about 2 hours.
Lou

Save    
annie1992

bbstyx, it's fine. I don't soak my skillets, usually, but I'll put some water in them, bring it to a boil and then wipe it out after scraping off the bits with a wooden spoon.

After I rub it with shortening and put it in the oven at 350 for about 2 hours, or I use it to make french fries and it's good as new.

Yes, Shaun, the shiny interior probably means it is very well seasoned. Black and shiny, and doesn't rub off? That's seasoning.

Annie

Save    

Related Stories

Bathroom Design 10 Japanese Soaking Tubs for Bathing Bliss
Get all of the serenity with none of the chemicals in an original all-natural hot tub
Full Story
Most Popular Pro Chefs Dish on Kitchens: Michael Symon Shares His Tastes
What does an Iron Chef go for in kitchen layout, appliances and lighting? Find out here
Full Story
Outbuildings 7 Backyard Sheds Built With Love
The Hardworking Home: Says one homeowner and shed builder, ‘I am amazed at the peace and joy I feel when working in my garden shed’
Full Story
Your First House How to Clean Your Cookware So It Lasts
Avoid damage during everyday cleaning and stain scrubbing, with these tips for pots and pans made of popular materials
Full Story
Kitchen Sinks Kitchen FAQs: Selecting Your Sink Material
Here are some of the most common choices for kitchen sink materials, with details about each
Full Story
Kitchen Design How to Clean and Care for Your Butcher Block
Keep butcher block counters and boards looking sharp as a knife — and sanitized for safe food prep — with this advice from a pro woodworker
Full Story
Kitchen Workbook House Planning: How to Set Up Your Kitchen
Where to Put All Those Pots, Plates, Silverware, Utensils, Casseroles...
Full Story
Housekeeping 8 Kitchen Organizing Ideas for Messy Cooks
Not the clean-as-you-go type? Not to worry. These strategies will help keep your kitchen looking tidy no matter what your cooking style is
Full Story
Life Soapstone Counters: A Love Story
Love means accepting — maybe even celebrating — imperfections. See if soapstone’s assets and imperfections will work for you
Full Story