SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runninginplace

Flatlander Heading to the Mountains-Help!

runninginplace
12 years ago

Yep, this Florida sea level dweller is going on a trip in a couple of weeks out to Utah. I've been invited by a good friend to go on her 60th birthday woman-only adventure trip to Bryce and Zion national parks. There will be 11 of us(!) and the plans include opportunities for hiking, ziplining, horseback riding and even rock climbing. But we're staying at a spa/resort so there are options to just hang out, get massaged and yoga-ed and generally relax if that is what one is in the mood for. I can't wait!

I'm in reasonably good shape and familiar with back country hiking here, but one thing I do worry about is acclimating to the altitude. My friend, a retired nurse who travels frequently, including out west, has mentioned the advisability of hydrating for several days before travel. Not quite sure how much water I should be sucking down, but I'm definitely going to do it.

So, any other advice, particularly from anyone who lives in a mountainous area, or who has traveled to these areas? The only other time I've ever been in the mountains was our honeymoon trip to Aspen. And embarrassingly I will admit that one evening I had a couple of glasses of wine and got absolutely gobsmacked! Didn't realize how much it would affect me...so that's one mistake I won't make this time.

Hoping for good tips and tricks from you sophisticated traveling, or mountain residing, ladies :).

Ann

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer