SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Kind of related the my kid is a brat thread

3katz4me
11 years ago

The following letter was written by a high school junior to the Rochester, MN newspaper. In my opinion this young lady gets it.

Rachel Cohrs: Accolades over achievement sends the wrong message 10/24/2012 7:02 AM

My generation is full of wimps. We have been told that we are the best. We have been sheltered and coddled and privileged. We are accustomed to constantly having an audience through technology and social networking. We have adapted to a culture that values accolades over achievement, and that will be our greatest weakness.

Our teachers don't use red pens because it's seen as too critical; the customary purple ink is considered to be more friendly. We can't play dodgeball because it will ruin our self-esteem. Our generation, as a whole, is obviously so fragile and insecure that we have apparently lost all ability to handle criticism.

As cruel as it may originally sound, there are people in life who win, and those who lose. We live in a capitalist country. Those who are not good enough fail. There is one best. There comes a time in life when kids need to come to the realization that not everyone is cut out to be a professional dodgeball player.

Interestingly enough, instead of giving everyone a self-esteem boost by eliminating competition, awards are given to everyone: for participation, for sixth place in a soccer tournament for 9-year-olds. When everyone gets accolades for getting out of bed, getting dressed, and showing up, the awards decrease in value. According to the laws of economics, if something has less value now than before, to achieve an equivalent value of that something now, more of it must be accumulated. Speaking in terms of awards, since they now have less value, whoever gets the most awards is the best.

Therefore, there is no incentive to learn, only to get patted on the back. Standardized tests don't measure learning, they measure memorization. GPA is to be preserved at all costs. When teaching material, teachers often encounter the question, "Is this going to be on the test?"

This inquisition gets to the heart of the culture in which we are being educated; if it's not going to be on the test, I'm not going to memorize it. And learn it? Why would you do that? It's much simpler to get good grades, go to a good college, and have a good life. The measure of success is a letter grade, and it has taught us to jump through hoops instead of learning.

Experiences with foreign students have opened my eyes and given me a different perspective on school; I now view it as a privilege instead of a burden. I have the opportunity every day to be educated in seven different subjects at no additional expense to my family. There are so many who don't have that privilege, and that is makes the current attitude of my generation so frustrating. For us, the passion for learning that so many underprivileged students possess has been lost. If we aren't learning, our education is wasted.

When education is taken for granted, it loses its purpose. When everyone gets awards, they lose their value. When no one learns, everybody can get away with it. When everyone is special, no one is.

Comments (23)