SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

I need advice on mother of the groom dresses

bac717
12 years ago

I will be the mother of the groom in an early December wedding and I have been trying to choose a dress for too long now. First of all, a little background. Bridesmaids dresses are black, knee length; mother of the bride's dress is a simple sheath style dress, knee length in sort of a cobalt blue. To my eyes, it's a little lighter and brighter than a true cobalt blue. Wedding colors are cobalt blue, black and silver.

I thought I had decided on a simple charcoal grey sheath style dress, but after I got it home, I noticed the color changed between natural light and artificial light. In natural light, it changed to a grey with green undertones. I did not see that in the artificial light in the store. In the meantime, I found another dress in a dark navy.

I looked at it next to another dress in the store that I think is close to what the mother of the bride will wear and I think they look fine together. My main concern is that some people may think I'm wearing a black dress. That really is a crazy concern, isn't it? I keep telling myself that no one is going to be looking at me anyway!

Now, I have found the same dress with 3/4 sleeves and I'm wondering if I should consider this dress instead.

On the one hand, I think I'd rather stay with the sleeveless because 1) I think it's more 'wearable' year round and 2) I think it will be easier to dance in when I put my arms around my husband. On the other hand, it is a December wedding. Will I be more comfortable with my arms covered?

Sorry for the size of the pictures and for the long post! Any advice on color or style will be greatly appreciated. By the way, as you've probably already figured out, this is our first to get married.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz