SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cr85b

anyone have vibration problems with whirlpool wfw9200/wfw9400?

cr85b
16 years ago

Hi,

A couple weeks ago we purchased a new Whirlpool WFW9200 frontload washer from Lowe's. We got it over the WFW9400 since Consumer Reports' new issue said they were "similar" and the only difference I could initially tell between the two models is that the 9400 has more cycles (more on that later).

However, I've had some concerns with our 9200:

- First off, the floor model at Lowe's was made in Germany, but the one delivered to us was made in Mexico like the Duet Sport washers. The model number in the tag on ours has an extra A11 at the end: "WFW9200SQA11"

- We've had some serious shaking/vibration issues with the washer. The first Lowe's installation team was incompetent and did not tighten the leg nuts correctly (and also failed to cover the bolt holes in the back), and the washer was shaking the laundry room so hard during the spin cycle that the vibration could be heard at the other end of the house (our laundry room is on the 1st floor)

- We complained to Lowe's and they sent out another team of installers who re-leveled the washer and tightened the leg nuts. Now the washer only vibrates slightly during most spins, but it's still shaking pretty bad during the highest spin speeds starting 8 minutes prior to the end of the cycle. When the spin finally powers down at 3 minutes prior to the end, you can see and hear the tub bouncing up and down on the washer's suspension.

I've gone back to stores to check out the floor models, and something else I just noticed is that all WFW9200 washers have a very "loose" tub... i.e., you can reach in, grab the edge of the tub, and shake it and feel it bouncing against its suspension. However, the WFW9400, 9600, and other frontloaders I checked out at the store all had rigid tubs that don't bounce like the WFW9200. I'm wondering if the bouncy tub in the 9200 is transmitting resonance into our floor and is causing the shaking... so I was thinking of returning our 9200 and getting a 9400 or a different brand.

Can any owners of the 9200 or 9400 share their experience with their washers? I'm concerned that if the washer is shaking this badly, the other components will easily fail and this $900 washer won't last more than a couple years or so. Thanks.

Comments (8)