SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

The never ending real estate deal

franksmom_2010
10 years ago

So, the deal on the property that we've been trying to buy since ?June?July fell through. Long story, but the seller is going to let the bank foreclose. We can buy it from the bank, but I suspect that deal is months away from being final.

Meanwhile, all I can do is pine for it. I have never felt this way about a piece of property before, but I thought at least someone here would understand. It's an old barn that's been partially converted to living space. The lower half of the barn is still functioning, with sliding doors and dirt floor and all.

The red paint has faded to a sickly pink the color of raw meat. The downstairs apartment smells like stale cigarettes and dog pee. The upstairs has some bad DIY sheetrock, horrific carpet, and it's filthy. The land is neglected and overgrown, and there's rats and snakes.

I am so smitten with this place that I just can't hardly stand it. I don't know what it is, but the whole place just feels so comforting and familiar. It has a calm and peace to it that I just find so appealing and soothing, that all of it's many flaws just don't seem to matter. I can imagine cooking saturday breakfast in the tiny awful kitchen, and turning the tack room into a bar and lounge when friends come over. And Thanksgiving dinner just got a whole lot more fun if it's followed by a barn dance.

I haven't totally lost it, though. DH and I have run the numbers, and we can afford it, as well as all of the improvements, repairs, and upgrades. It's on 10 acres of farm land, and land is (almost) always a good investment. This will be our "weekend place and practice farm" so there's no rush to get anything done immediately. Except the rats. And the dog pee. And...

We had an inspection today, and it was generally good news and no surprises. When it was time to lock up and drive away, I almost got a little teary, knowing that we can't see it or do anything to it for a few months, and a little fearful that the bank will want to come in and "update" the soul out of it.

I know that it's going to take a lot of work and time and money to make it how I see it in my head, but my gut and my heart says that this is supposed to be our place. Anyone else ever have this kind of passion for a place? Have I totally lost it?

Comments (12)