SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaincalifornia

New owner of Kenmore Elite Oasis 3.8--questions

lisaincalifornia
17 years ago

Hello,

We have had our Kenmore Elite Oasis 3.8 for about 2 weeks. We have the model with the agitator, not the HE version.

We are now thinking of returning it for another washer, but are trying to figure out which one we should chose. I would appreciate anyone's input.

Problems with our Kenmore Elite Oasis 3.8 mod. 27032:

1. Clothes tangling with fins on agitator. And I mean tangling! One bra ruined, and it took my husband a long time and much effort to get it out without cutting the garment. It had to be thrown away because it was so stretched out and ruined. Items with strings (like sweats) get tangled too. Sheets wrap around the space under the fins, and it is hard to get them out, besides wear and tear on the material. I read at the Sears website that someone else mentioned this problem with the "fins"--they said it was a design flaw, and I agree. There is a space under the flimsy fins that allows things to get trapped--even encouraging things to get trapped. I am now very careful to put heavy things on the bottom, not light weight items, but often that does not help, as they work their way down there.

2. Clothes seem more "worn out" after washing, unlike my old Kenmore washer. Darks seem lighter, and clothes seem to be almost too roughly handled--maybe from the high spinning speed? But I admit I have not been using the different settings--just pressing "start" and going with the normal setting. I probably need to start using the dark clothes setting or delicate.

Good points:

1. Nice big size--I love that part

2. Quiet

3. Good intuitive controls

So I am going back to Sears this weekend, and am looking at the other models. I am considering getting the Oasis without the agitator, but have read some bad reviews about it. What do you all think? How about the Cabrio, which seems to be very similar? Since it is working okay (besides the tangling) I am also considering keeping it, but am just not certain that is wise with the problems with the fins. I am also considering going up to the 4.5 size, but am not certain if that is overkill. We have 3 kids and I do a LOT of laundry--and wash comforters and blankets at home.

Thanks for any help you may provide!

Lisa

Comments (13)