SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pcjs_gw

AC, Duct, and Humidifier Questions

pcjs
15 years ago

Hi,

I'd be very appreciate of any advice you could offer:

1)I started to tape up our duct work as we have a lot of leaks and found our black line (from the outside compressor) was dripping water). I figured that can't be good - what is that - there is black foam that is peeling away. The system is a carrier and about 5 years old (we have owned the house for three and had it serviced about 2 years ago). We were thinking about having it serviced anyway, for routine maintance, but any ideas?

Here is a picture of the drip:

2) We have a lot of holes, soft spots, etc. in our duct work near the ac/heater/inside units - I'm assuming from the humidifier and long term usage. We had one AC company come out while on home warrenty the first year and they put tape and refuse to fix it even if we offered to pay if the warrenty company didn't. When we did our DIY kitchen remodel, we tried to get someone to look at it and help rework the kitchen ducts - one guy was great and refused the job as it was too small and he thought we could DIY just as easily but told us how to do the kitchen (which we did no problems). I'm worry of mold - is this a silly fear - can we rip it out DIY and replace it? What else can we use beyond the square metal? My husband likes flexable or round? (Or anything that requires cool new tools).

Current set up with problem areas:

3) We have a Carrier humidifier that we've never used - I bought the new filter and well, after we removed the old one it was so gross I've never wanted to use it - is this the "best" unit or is there something "better" we can replace it with? How hard are they DIY? We've done a lot of plumbing (with soldering copper), electrical, the entire kitchen, windows, doors, and the list goes on). 900 square foot first floor with basement. (and we'd like to plan for a second story so have the unit big enough for that -another 900).

Thank you in advanced!

Comment

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County