SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rileysmom17

GE electric drier model DBVH520EJ2WW negative review

rileysmom17
14 years ago

I have owned this drier for about 10 months. I have had a service call on it with extensive analysis and I was told that the drier was "operating within spec". So this will be a negative review as to the design and function.

I have a long drier vent run of about 24 feet with 3 right-angle turns in it. I had the salesman specifically query GE as to whether the drier could handle this run and I was told yes, and also shown on their web site vent specs which indicated that the machine had enough blower power for a long run and elbows without a booster fan.

My specific complaint for the service call was that on any other heat setting than "high", the moisture sensor cut off too soon leaving wet laundry even when the dryness level was set to "more dry". I was ultimately told "operating fine" and no explanation was provided for the problem, although the repair guy and I dried a load of towels at these settings and he confirmed that they were wet when the machine stopped the cycle.

However he also told me that the drier was not moving enough air internally through the drum. There are 2 temperature sensors, one on the back, and one on the front of the drum in the outflow vent. There should not be a large differential between the sensor readings when the drier is running with no clothes in it - if there is, it indicates inadequate air flow. He tested and you guessed it...not enough flow.

So, lousy moisture sensor, mis-labelled product, etc. Also, the lint trap works poorly, lint is visible under the left edge of the trap when you remove it to clean it (I always scoop it out) and when I recently stuck my leaf blower in the wall vent to clean things out I was startled by how much lint was in the line.

Comments (6)