SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fixizin

Pilot flame pros/cons baseboard H/W during OFF-season?

fixizin
15 years ago

Related to the anti-freeze thread...

I've got 1949 vintage gas-fired electric-pumped H/W baseboard heating system, 3-story brick house. The furnace (boiler?) has 3 burners. The burner feeds are straightforward--3 branches of beefy black iron(?) pipe.

But... over the years, many aftermarket (factory-authorized?) mods have been made to the smaller (1/4" copper, IIRC) tubing that feeds the pilot light "network"...

... the issue is, this "network" has produced an EXTENSIVE pilot light "spread" (for resistance to blow-outs, I think), which results in surprisingly high natural gas consumption (and BILLS!) at "idle", and it even tends to heat up what should be the coolest part of the house.

The pipes are quite hot to the touch, and there may be significant convective circulation... if the pump design allows that?

So last summer I said "enough", and followed the instructions for cold shutdown. Nice, all good. Then during winter, a few days after it was first fired back up, the newest section ferrous piping, farthest from boiler, on its own pump (room addition), sprung a leak from internal rust, and a whole section was replaced.

Could this rusting out conceivably have been accelerated by stagnant water and/or trapped air, whereas before there may have been mild convective circulation? Any OTHER pros to leaving pilot on ALL year? Thanks in advance.

Certainly I'll be making a practice of doing a "110% system stress-test" every summer from here out... preferably on a cool night, lol.

Comments (5)