SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreww_2009

24' LG vs. Miele

andreww_2009
14 years ago

[This started as a reply in the Blomberg thread but I think it's better not to clutter that discussion with LG questions. I can't find a way to edit my earlier response (to just the Blomberg part) so I apologize for the duplication.]

I have a limited space (30.5" deep, 32" wide, vent access is to left) and am not confident about getting a 27" machine in there. Some seem close but it's +/- I accept that LG vs. Miele is not a fair comparison on the specs, but the Miele is priced about 50% higher ($1100 vs. $1600 for the washer, $800 vs. $1150 for the dryer, $350 [my estimate] vs. $480 for the extension to 5 years). Of course this is the Miele 1612 washer not the 3033 (miele.ca for prices, they just went up Feb 15). And sometimes the LG are on sale, which the Miele seem never to be (there's a sale on full-size Mieles direct from them, which I suspect will cause them trouble with their retail partners).

I'm concerned about being happy with a 24" machine and sinking $1900+stacking+install+tax is an easier risk than $2750++ (and $1900 seems like a lot to risk!). We think doing smaller loads of laundry more often may be a positive for us. Unfortunately while I try to be green, we don't pay directly for electricity or water (included in condo fees), so any savings we see will be divided by 284 before we receive them.

I think the Miele is also slightly bigger, the LG is 2.34ft^3 and the Miele is 2.52ft^3 (from US site). Or is that a measuring difference?

Here's a question for which I get different answers, depending whether the salesperson is trying to sell me a 24" or 27" machine: can I was a king-size sheet set (fitted+flat) in a 24" machine? What about a heavy (but not padded) duvet cover? I accept that the duvet itself probably isn't washable in 24". And do any "yes" answers to this wrt Miele (2.52) differ wrt LG (2.34)?

I got manuals for the LG units from diplodocs.com, the dryer clearly vents out the side if wanted so we'll have lots of room. :)

I note the Americans have a WM1355HW from LG (Canadian is still WM1333). The US model is 2.7ft^3. Is it likely to show up here soon, or do they keep different models for a long time?

=aw

Comments (21)