SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countrygirl217

Soliciting design advice from this fabulous forum

countrygirl217
12 years ago

We are currently building a barn that will have an apartment above the barn. It will span the length of the barn and have three bedrooms, two baths, kitchen and living area. I am at a complete loss as to the "style" of the kitchen. I would love some ideas on materials to use for the kitchen.

Here are the basics:

The barn is classic post and beam gambrel style barn in the rockies of MT

The beams in the kitch/living area will be exposed and the ceiling vaulted

The flooring throughout will be a rustic wood in a medium tone (we have not decided on exact species but the color will not be light or espresso)

Here is where I have gotten so far:

Standard fridge (not built in)

30" gas range

Cabinets I would like to be stained wood.

Here is what I need help with:

Species of wood...not sure what to do!

I don't know if I should do stainless appliances or black. I have experience with different brands but I haven't nailed that down and will research on that.

Countertops? I want them to be durable and not super expensive but other than that I'm wide open. Thanks to our last remodel I am knowledgeable on the benefits of different materials, but I can't decide on the look I want...dark or light or shiny or matte

I think my biggest problem is I have no vision for the space. Maybe bc I just got finished with a house remodel in September but also it's hard to visualize such a unique space. It's a barn but it's going to be like a house inside. I want it to be nice but not high end. If anyone has any ideas or possible inspiration pictures I'd love the help! I don't have the layout in a form I can post here, but I plan to when I can. Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)