SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shimsheree

Can't get smell out of clothes- please help!

shimsheree
16 years ago

We live in an apartment and our dryer was bad so our apartment manager gave us a brand new Kenmore dryer. We used it, but noticed that our clothes had a weird, almost burnt smell in them. It also squeaked why drying clothes. They had the manufacture person come out and he couldn't fix either problem. We had tested more of our clothes after he left, but they just smelled bad too. So they sent another person out, and he fixed the squeak, but not the smell.

This smell was driving me and my husband crazy, as we hadn't had this problem until we got the new dryer. So we complained to our apartment manager again and she gave us another brand new dryer. It had the same problem! So now half of our clothes have this smell that won't go away. It bothered me so much that my parents gave us an extra dryer they had and we gave back the new dryer to the apartment people.

So now our problem is that we CANNOT get that smell out of our clothes! It is so bad that I can't wear those clothes or put them on our baby. I've tried using baking soda and vinegar and they didn't work. We used to us Sun detergent, so we switched to Tide with Febreeze. I used that, plus the febreeze dryer sheets, but now that smell is overpowering in that batch of clothing and it won't come out either! So we have some batches of clothing in bags with the bad dryer smell, and some batches of clothing with the strong Febreeze smell, and then our other clothes that I'm too afraid to wash and dry.

I'm also a little worried that maybe the original smell wasn't coming from the dryer, but from the washing machine. I don't think so though, because I would wash our clothes in the washer and then dry them at my cousin's house and they didn't smell bad. But I just washed some whites today and they have that smell in them...some of them had been washed in the brand new dryer though, but there are some clothes in the whites that were brand new (never dried in the new dryer), and they smell. Could the bad smell have transfered to the new clothes?

Can anyone help me? I feel like I've tried everything and I'm running out of clothes to wear. I ordered some stuff from smellywasher.com to see if that will help the washer. I was thinking of trying some 20 mule team borax. I'm surprised that vinegar or baking soda haven't worked because that's something that everyone recommends.

Anyway, thanks so much for any help you might have.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21