SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karigraphy_gw

Lasagna bragging rights

Karigraphy
16 years ago

Hello all - I'm thinking about serving lasagna at my daughters' first communion dinner. However, I don't have a single lasagna recipe and this is why --

For the communion dinner DH says: "Why don't we have lasagna?"

I say: "Because you hate lasagna."

DH: "Not anymore."

I say: "Did you ever wonder why I never served lasagna in the 21 years that we've been married???"

DH: "No,not really."

Me: "Because you said that pasta and cheese should never be eaten together." (Strange idea for an Italian-American I always thought.)

DH: "Well, now I think it is OK."

Now that it is OK to serve pasta and chesse together in the same dish, it is time to make lasagna!

Does anyone have a great lasagna recipe??? It cannot be too hot/spicy for some of our family members with sensitive taste buds. Ideally, it should be a recipe that can be assembled a day in advance.

Thank you in advance (vegetable lasagna would be Ok, too)

Kari

Comments (28)

• jessyf
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm sure recipes will be pouring in. My two tricks are to

(1) use raw noodles, not cooked, and add some water to the assembled lasagna. Cover with Reynolds Release non-stick foil while baking. Remove last 15 minutes or so of cooking.

(2) Toss a log of goat cheese into the ricotta mixture. I reach for the herbed stuff from Trader Joes. Mmmm.

Now I have a craving. Maybe Friday night. With this killer tomato sauce I found - 6-in-1 Brand.

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

I made 3 pans of this first recipe for a family get-to-gether. Fantastic. These are from this forum.

Joey's Killer Lasagna

1 medium onion -- chopped
    3 Tbl olive oil
    1/2 Lb ground beef
    1/2 Lb Italian sausage -- casings removed and
    broken up
    1/2 Lb ground veal
    2 Clove garlic -- minced
    4 ounces mushrooms -- chopped
    15 ounces tomato sauce
    12 ounces tomato paste
    1/2 Cup dry red wine
    1/2 Cup water
    1 Tsp oregano -- leaves
    1 Tsp basil crushed
    1 Tsp salt
    1/2 Tsp pepper
    1/2 Tsp sugar
    8 ounces mozzarella cheese -- thinly sliced
    1 Lb Ricotta cheese
    1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese
    12 ounces lasagna noodles

Saute the chopped onion in the olive oil. Add and cook
    the ground meats, starting with the sausage, then the
    beef, then the veal.~

Add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook. Drain.

Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, water,
    oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and sugar. Simmer
    covered for 1-1/2 hours.

Cook the lasagna noodles while sauce is simmering. Use
    10 to 16 pieces depending on the width of the noodles.
    Drain, rinse, drain again.

Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.~

Cover the bottom of the dish with a thin layer of the
    sauce. Layer: 1/3 of the noodles, 1/3 of the sauce,
    1/3 of the Ricotta cheese (in dollops), 1/3 of the
    Mozzarella. Repeat twice more. Cover with the Parmesan
    cheese.
    Bake uncovered in a 350-degree oven for 40-50 minutes,
    or until bubbly.

Here's another that sounds terrific but I haven't tried it yet.

Joey's Killer Spinach Lasagna

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    8 oz mushrooms, very thinly sliced
    3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    28 ounces canned tomatoes
    6 oz. tomato paste
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1 bay leaf

16 ounces lasagna noodles
    1-1/2 lb. fresh spinach, par-cooked and drained
    1 pound ricotta cheese
    1 egg
    3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
    1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, grated
    1 teaspoon salt (or to taste/needs)
    1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Saute onions, green peppers in oil until golden,
    stirring often.

Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring to brown mushrooms well.

Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, oregano, and bay leaf. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.

Cook noodles according to package directions and drain.

Combine spinach, ricotta, egg, 1/4 cup of Parmesan, salt, nutmeg and pepper.

Spoon a third of the tomato sauce in bottom of 2-quart flat baking pan. Layer a third of the lasagne noodles, half the spinach-ricotta filling, half the mozzarella, and 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Repeat layers using half of the remaining sauce and noodles, and all remaining filling.

Top with remaining noodles, sauce, Parmesan, and mozzarella. Cover tightly and freeze or refrigerate.

(Better if made a day or two in advance.)

Bring to room temperature. Bake at 350 degrees, covered, for 45 minutes, uncover, and continue baking for 20 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before cutting to serve.

• Related Discussions

bragging rights

Q

Comments (12)
    California has areas that are great for any fruit other than true tropicals. For stone fruit the best areas are around Reedley (considered the stone fruit capitol of CA) and the Modesto area (Dave Wilson Nursery and Zaiger genetics are near Waterford). The central valleys anywhere from Bakersfield to Redding have about a 225-275 day growing season. Soils are highly variable with many poor areas. The outdoor recreational opportunities are great around Redding. There are some good fruit areas near the coast from San Luis Obispo thru Hollister, Morgan Hill, San Jose thru the bay area to Santa Rosa. It is cooler here in the summer than areas above. Real estate can be very expensive but is more reasonable right now. There are many small areas in the foothills of CA that are good for fruit. But climate and soil are highly variable. Growing season and chilling in general are less favorable than the central valleys. One area might be good but half a mile away really bad. The central valleys have much more uniform climate. Southern CA is the best area in the US for subtropicals but I'm less familiar with that area because it's not my thing. Outside CA the best fruit areas are in Eastern WA and selected very small areas in ID, UT, and near Palisade CO. If you are a berry grower, western OR and WA are the best areas. No matter where you look the really good fruit areas are small in area compared to the marginal areas. Your best indicator of a good fruit area is commercial production. The Eastern US is plagued by disease and insect problems. The Plains and foothills of the Rockies from Texas and NM thru CO, OK, KS, WY etc have the most variable weather in the US; freezes, hail, wind. There are very few commercial fruit operations here for a reason. The Fruitnut
    ...See More

Pumpkin Pics: Post Them for Bragging Rights :)

Q

Comments (2)
    The Jack Be Little are open-pollinated, edible, mini pumpkins. Seeds are readily available in the beginning of the season. I think they cost about $1.19 a pack at Lowe's. They are growing straight up a trellis quite easily as well. The vines are about 8 feet long, but they are showing signs of powdery mildew. It's been very rainy and humid here. Plus I have them in a spot that gets a good bit of shade. They would probably be more happy in a sunnier spot, but they are still doing well. My only advice would be to plant at least two vines. I've had some female blossoms come and go when the vine didn't have any male blossoms open at the same time. It sure is a cute, tiny pumpkin. Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden
    ...See More

Bragging Rights

Q

Comments (7)
    You are special in acknowledging your wife as the caretaker..better yet that you posted the pictures..and I really hope she knows how proud you are of her! and Wow..that is just beautifull...makes you want to stroll down that path..and take in all the beautiful flowers and smell them too! Dena
    ...See More

bragging rights!!!

Q

Comments (26)
    Sorry IÂm late on the Congratulations Bandwagon. But here I goÂÂ WOOOO HOOOO!! She is beautiful!!! I am so happy for you. As soon as I saw your post I yelled out to DH "Lisa had her Granddaughter!" IÂm very glad everyone is doing well. I also send my best wishes to the whole family. Enjoy, enjoy!! Granny. Nina
    ...See More
  • Karigraphy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

natesgramma - Wow, I don't know who Joey is but he sure has two wonderfully delicious sounding recipes.

jessyf - Oh my, my daughters LOVE goat cheese. That would be to die for.

Yum Yum

Kari

• User
    16 years ago

Joe's Lasagna is very good. Here is a recipe from Scott for chicken lasagna , it is also excellent.

Chicken Lasagne (Scott)

9 Lasagna Noodles
    1/4 Cup butter/margarine
    8 Oz (3 cups) sliced fresh mushrooms
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1/2 Tsp salt
    1 Tsp lemon juice
    1/4 Cup flour
    2 Cup milk
    2 whole chicken breasts or equivalent
    stewed and cubed
    1 Cup of the liquid you cooked the chicken in
    1/2 Cup chopped fresh parsley
    15 Oz carton ricotta cheese
    2 eggs
    3 Cup chopped fresh broccoli
    8oz (2cups) cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook lasagne noodles, drain and rinse in hot water.
    In large saucepan, melt butter, add mushrooms, garlic salt and lemon juice. Saute mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes. Add flour; blend well. Add milk and chicken juice; cook over medium high heat until mixture thickens and boils, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken and 1/3 cup parsley.
    Heat oven to 325. Mix Ricotta and Parmesan cheese with beaten eggs.

Layer 1/3 each noodles, ricotta mixture, mozzarella, sauce and broccoli (for the top layer I do the broccoli then the mozzarella on top).
    Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
    Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I second using "stiff noodles"...but I don't add water, I just use another ladle of sauce.
    When I make lasagna, I use 2 sauces...one my standard marinara sauce and the other with meat....usually I cook the meat with some of the marinara...
    I mix mozzerella, and parsley and black pepper with the ricotta....and an egg or 2...
    I use the meatless sauce for the bottom and the meat for the layers. and top with meatless sauce and slices of mozerella.
    And I serve some sauce on the side....I hate a dry lasagna!
    Linda C

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

I use the regular noodles that require boiling. Reason is the one time I tried no boil noodles, assembled the lasagne's a day ahead. Baked the following day and the noodles had turned to a gluey mess. Yuck!

I do have a really good spinach lasagne recipe that goes together in a breeze. I'll post it when I get home tonight.

Linda

• woodie
    16 years ago

This is a good one!

VEGETABLE LASAGNE

1 pound lasagne noodles, cooked and drained
    1 cup (4 oz.) shredded fontina cheese
    1 package (10 oz.) chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1 cup shredded zucchini
    3 cups part skim milk ricotta (divided)
    1 egg
    1 onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 tablespoons flour
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Mix together fontina, veggies, 2-1/2 cups of the ricotta and the egg.
    Place layer of noodles in 13 x 9 pan. Spread half of ricotta mixture. Repeat layers, ending with noodles on top.
    Cook and stir onion in oil under tender. Stir in flour and nutmeg. Stir in chicken broth and 1/2 cup ricotta. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Spoon over lasagna. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover and broil about 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.

8 servings

• khandi
    16 years ago

I used the "oven ready" noodles once and found the lasagna to be too starchy!!

• User
    16 years ago

In my opinion nothing beats fresh pasta. Iy is so tender. You can buy it, packaged, in the deli/cheese section of most grocery stores.

Never had a problem with the "no cook" noodles but I prefer fresh.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

I just use regular noodles, but don't boil. I don't like the "no-cook" ones either. Blech.
    Like LindaC said: Use an extra ladle (or 2) of sauce.....and LOTS of cheese!!
    I mean, if you're gonna eat lasagne, you might as well splurge! LOL

(that goat cheese idea sounds good Jessy!)
    Deanna

• lowspark
    16 years ago

Kari,
    I don't have a recipe for you but I love that story!

• jessyf
    16 years ago

FYI I don't use 'no boil' noodles - just the regular ones. Works fine.

I'm going to miss lasagna next week, sniff.

Matzah lasagna...um... no comparison. sigh.

• sheesh
    16 years ago

Plenty of sauce, plenty of cheese, don't boil the regular noodles even though it says to on the box. I never do, and neither did my dad 30 years ago. He was an old-school Italiano.

Sherry

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

Count me solidly in the cooked noodles camp. Like Linda, I had a hideous Elmer's-like experience the one time I tried the no-boil type. Quite possible the failure was my fault -- but no way am I willing to risk pouring another pan of lasagna down the drain to avoid washing one extra pot and a colander!

Kari, this recipe is a little different, but I promise it's not weird (even though it might sorta sound like it). It's from a very old edition of Southern Living, with a few tweaks by me. After 15 or 20 years, my sons and all their friends still say it's the best lasagna they've ever eaten. I'm 'required' to pass the recipe along to their brides when the guys in the old gang get married. :) (Well, hey, you said to claim lasagna bragging rights...so I did. lol)

The only reason I was a little reluctant to share it is that it's much, much better if made with 'hot' sausage instead of 'mild'. Actually, I don't find the hot particularly spicy, but you would know best about your older guests' tolerances. Maybe you could just add a little extra seasoning to compensate if you had to use mild. Anyway, here goes...

PEPPERONI LASAGNA

1 lb. bulk pork sausage (preferably 'hot')
    1 (8-oz.) pkg. lasagna noodles
    1 large egg
    1 (15-oz.) carton ricotta cheese
    3 - 4 T. chopped Italian parsley
    1/2 c. freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp. oregano
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    4 - 4-1/2 c. marinara sauce (your favorite homemade sauce is best, of course, but commercial spaghetti sauce is fine -- Prego brand works well)
    2 c. grated Mozzarella cheese (I use more)
    1 (3-1/2 oz.) pkg. sliced pepperoni
    butter or margarine, to grease dish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13"x9" casserole dish with butter or margarine; set aside.

Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat, using a spatula to crumble. (You don't want large chunks of meat. Break it up as much as you can.) When meat is thoroughly browned, pour into a mesh strainer to drain off excess grease. Return meat to skillet and add 4 cups of marinara sauce. Stir well to combine, and set aside.

While sausage cooks, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add lasagna noodles, cooking according to package directions (except omit salt if called for). When noodles are done, drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water to avoid sticking.

In a mixing bowl, beat egg lightly. Add ricotta, parsley, grated Parmesan, oregano and pepper, stirring well to mix.

Spread a thin layer of sauce on bottom of prepared dish. (This should be more like a 'film' than a layer, just so the noodles won't stick. Maybe 1/3 of a cup. Use a rubber spatula to spread it evenly.)

Layer half the lasagna noodles in the bottom of the dish, overlapping slightly if needed. Top with half the ricotta mixture, again using a rubber spatula to spread evenly. Sprinkle liberally with grated mozzarella. Top with 1/3 of the remaining meat sauce. Repeat layers, using the rest of the lasagna noodles, the rest of the ricotta, another 3/4 cup or so of cheese, and then half the remaining sauce.

Cover top of dish with pepperoni slices. Spoon remaining meat sauce over all. (This is where that extra 1/2 cup of sauce comes in. As Linda C. said, nothing worse than dry lasagna. So if you've miscalculated your fractions a little along the way and the top isn't completely covered with sauce, spoon on a little extra.) Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining mozzarella. Return to oven for approximately 5 minutes, until cheese melts. Allow to sit at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

I have also added spinach and sauteed mushrooms to this. Both wonderful!

sm

• Karigraphy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm in seventh heaven reading all the lasagna recipes! Of course, I'm going to have to try them out in advance. Poor l'il old me.

Did anyone ever try Trader Joe's vegetable lasagna? That's the one my DH tried and decided lasagna is OK. For a regular family meal, I'd love to make a veggie lasagna recipe in two 8x8 pans so one can be eaten that night and one can be eaten on a future night.

Kari

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh, Kari! I was so beat after working 10 hours on Thursday I never got back online to post the Spinach Lasagne recipe! Sorry. Hope it's not too late, here it is. Super simple and really good!

Spinach Lasagne

1/2lb lasagna noodles
    2 26oz jars pasta sauce
    16oz container ricotta cheese
    10oz package frozen spinach (thawed and well drained)
    1lb shredded mozzarella
    1/2c grated parmesan
    2 eggs, beaten
    Parsley

Prepare lasagna according to package directions, drain. In medium bowl, combine ricotta, spinach, 1/2c mozzarella, parmesan & eggs, mix well. In 9x13 baking dish, layer 2c sauce, half the lasagna, half the remaining sauce, all of the spinach mixture, half the remaining mozzarella, remaining lasagna and sauce. Cover, bake at 350F about 45 minutes until bubby. Uncover, top with remaining mozzarella and parsley. Bake 15 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes vefore serving.

Linda

• sanborn5
    16 years ago

There are plenty of GREAT Lasagna recipes. Here are my secrets, Cook the lasagna noodles as directed on the pkg. Use a really good homemade sauce and use it sparingly when you make your layers. (add more on top when you serve it) Also, make in the morning and cover with foil and cook later that night removing the foil for the last 1/2 hour.
    And last but not least, let it sit for 15 minutes after you take out of the oven.
    The homemade sauce is really the secret to good lasagna and using it lightly. (too much makes it sloppy) You can cut mine like a piece of cake. I also always use more ricotta then recipes call for which also will increase the eggs. I also mix Mozzarella cheese with the ricotta and add more in the layers. Fresh parsley is nice mixed in or the dried will work.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

A little while back a lasagna thread came up and like here several people mentioned not liking no-boil noodles. I was always happy with them but I tried the regular type just to see what I was missing out on. Maybe I just don't have very sophisticated taste, but I didn't notice any difference.

I will say, however, that I have not had much luck pre-making lasagne, whether frozen or just assembled the day before. It's always turned out somewhat watery. Maybe that has something to do with the no-boil pasta, I don't know.

• Karigraphy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update --

I made Joey's Killer Lasagna. The flavors were good but the noodles were overwhelming because they were dense/starchy. (I decided to try regular lasagna noodles without precooking.) It wasn't too spicy for our older folks but if I were to make it for my family I would have used either spicy Italian sausage or add some crushed red pepper flakes.

Questions:

1) Do you make your lasagna so it touches all the walls of the 9 x 13 pan? The uncooked noodles are not 13" long so I had gaps at the end of the pan.

2) How many noodles wide do you make your lasagna? I made mine 4 noodles wide.

3) What is the last layer of your lasagna? I added a layer of noodles, topped with marinara sauce, sprinkled with parmesan. The recipe would not have incuded one more layer of noodles. It ended with mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan.

I'm really stuffed!!!

Kari

• fenworth
    16 years ago

I've never used regular pasta instead of no-boil, but your finding it dense and starchy doesn't surprise me at all. No boil noodles are thinner than regular, and they are precooked and then dried so it would seem some of the starch is removed. There's a reason that pasta gets boiled in 4-5 quarts of water rather than a cup or two to cover.

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

Jessy, the idea of matzo lasagne...um...no.

Kari - My answers to your questions:
    1. yes, even if I have to break some noodles and fit them in to do it. I'm sort of AR about things being level and even like that.
    2. Four, I think. Hard to remember.
    3. Noodles, a swipe of sauce (to keep the top from drying out), a little parmesan, and provolone (NOT smoked) slices to cover all. (That's the only layer that gets the provolone.) It makes for a nice presentation with that even layer of bubbly cheese on top.

And I'm firmly in the boiled noodles camp. I've tried the no-boil a couple to times and found the texture not at all to my liking.

Now, I'm off to copy that pepperoni lasagne recipe. I have a friend who is wild for pepperoni and her B-day is coming up! She doesn't care for cake, but I bet she'd like a lasagne!

• msazadi
    16 years ago

SM, I just want to verify the timing for your pepperoni lasagna. 20 min and then 5 more. That's considerably less than a lot of other lasagna recipes, most of which call for 45 min.

dh loves sausage AND pepperoni so this one is right up his alley. I just wanted to check before I make. Maureen

• khandi
    16 years ago

The flavors were good but the noodles were overwhelming because they were dense/starchy. (I decided to try regular lasagna noodles without precooking.)

I tried the "oven ready" lasagna noodles and found them to be too starchy. I boil my noodles just before they're "al dente" cuz we don't like mushy lasagna.

1) Do you make your lasagna so it touches all the walls of the 9 x 13 pan? The uncooked noodles are not 13" long so I had gaps at the end of the pan.

My precooked noodles touch all sides of the pan. Depending on the size pan I use, sometimes I have to use a knife to cut a piece to fit here and there.

2) How many noodles wide do you make your lasagna? I made mine 4 noodles wide.

Using 4 noodles wide and 3 layers of noodles.

3) What is the last layer of your lasagna? I added a layer of noodles, topped with marinara sauce, sprinkled with parmesan. The recipe would not have incuded one more layer of noodles. It ended with mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan.

My top layer is usually: noodles, sauce, mozzarella cheese, a little Parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of dried oregano.

Because I precook my noodles to almost "al dente", I bake my lasagna for about 30 minutes or so, until bubbly and noodles are "al dente".

If you're not sure if you added enough sauce to your lasagna and you don't want it to be too dry, don't fret! Just have a little bit of heated sauce on the side for those who want more sauce. It's better to be too dry than too saucy cuz you can always add sauce just before you eat it. This way, it's "to each his own" so to speak.

My aunt tops her lasagna with pepperoni slices. It is good! I love pepperoni but daughter doesn't.

• khandi
    16 years ago

Forgot to add that I sometimes put finely chopped/grated carrot and celery in my sauce to add more veggies to the dish. Kids don't even know it's in there.

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

msazadi -- that wasn't a typo. I've noticed the difference, too, in reading other recipes. Don't know what accounts for it. Of course, the sausage, pepperoni and tomato sauce are fully-cooked before going in the oven, and the noodles are already boiled. All you're really doing is melting the cheese and getting everything good and hot.

Gosh, since I did claim 'bragging rights', I sure hope y'all love it! :)

sm

• Lars
    16 years ago

I pretty much always make my own pasta for lasagna; here's my recipe:

Ingredients:

Pasta:
    1/2 cup semolina flour
    1-1/2 cup unbleached white flour, to start
    3 eggs
    1/4 tsp salt

Filling:
    1 pound fresh spinach, not frozen
    1/2 pound Mozzarella cheese
    1/2 pound Provolone cheese
    1/2 pound Asiago cheese
    1/4 pound Parmesan cheese
    2 cups ricotta cheese
    1-2 eggs
    1/2 pound Prosciutto
    1/2 cup fresh basil
    2 tbsp fresh oregano
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 tsp Cayenne
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 cups (24 oz.) prepared tomato pasta sauce (separate recipe)

Directions:

First make the pasta by combining all ingredients in a large food processor. Process until the dough forms a ball and rolls around without sticking to the sides. You may have to add small increments of flour to get to this point. If you have too much flour, you can add a few drops of water, but you will not want the dough too dry at this point.

Remove the dough from the processor and knead with more flour until the dough is elastic and not sticky at all. Knead the dough by folding it over in half after it has been very lightly dusted with flour. Then flatten the dough and repeat folding over and flattening until it is the correct consistency. It is better to be slightly too wet than too dry, as flour can be added when you are putting it through the pasta machine.

Allow the dough to rest for one hour, covered. This time is required for the moisture to be absorbed fully into the flour.

Next, cut the dough into pieces make approximately 2" diameter balls and roll one piece out with a rolling pin so that it will be in a flat shape for the machine. Try to keep the edges from tearing if possible. Keep the rest of the dough covered until you are ready for it. When the dough piece is flat enough, put it through the machine at the first setting (#1) and then fold it into thirds and roll it through again at the same setting. This makes the dough into a more rectangular shape and gives it straight sides. Folding it over also allows you to get a tiny bit more flour into the dough. As you continue rolling the dough, sprinkle it with flour (I use a flour shaker, which looks like a huge salt shaker) to prevent it from sticking to the rollers. Excess flour can be dusted off but does not really hurt, since you will not be folding the dough again. Stop at position #4 or #5, which is thicker than you would use for fettuccine.

When you have rolled out all the dough, place the strips on a broom handle (or similar object) to dry. This will take about an hour. You will not need to boil the pasta.

While you are waiting for the pasta to dry, you can make the filling. Begin by washing the spinach and drying it through a centrifuge or salad spinner. If necessary, dry with paper towels as wellyou want as little water as possible left on the spinach. Remove the tough stems from the spinach, and place the leaves into a glass or Pyrex bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave at high for one minute, stir, and the microwave one minute more. Allow the bowl to rest for about 5 minutes covered, and then place the spinach in a colander to drain. You may want to save the liquid from this for another recipe or vegetable broth. After the spinach has drained, remove it to a chopping board and form it into a flat shape for cutting. Using a chefÂs knife, cut the flat shape into 1/2" squares. This is as much as the spinach needs to be chopped. Set the spinach aside and allow it to cool further or store it in the refrigerator.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese with a beaten egg. Grate Mozzarella, Provolone, and Asiago with a coarse grater and the Parmesan with a fine grater or Microplane. Add to the ricotta and egg. Sauté the Prosciutto in an iron skillet for about 2-3 minutes, and then chop coarsely. You can substitute pancetta or bacon if you prefer, or it can be left out altogether for a vegetarian version. Cut the basil leaves into a chiffonade. Mince the oregano, and add the basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayene to the cheese mixture. Add the chopped Prosciutto and stir to combine.

Layer a baking dish with sauce, pasta, and filling, repeating these layers, and then ending with pasta and a small amount of sauce on top. Store or freeze what you do not want to consume immediately. Bake at 350° covered for about half an hour, or until it is completely hot throughout. It is better not to bake portions that you want to save for later--the fresh herbs lose some of their fresh flavor when reheated.

Lars

• fenworth
    16 years ago

I happened to catch Throwdown with Bobby Flay yesterday; it was lasagna. The judges reviews of his spin on lasagna had me drooling. It's seems very labor intensive, but I'm definitely going to try it one of these days.

Lasagna Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay, 2007
    See this recipe on air Saturday May. 10 at 4:30 PM ET/PT.

Bolognese Sauce:
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    3 pounds pork shanks (on the bone)
    3 pounds beef shanks (on the bone)
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 pound pancetta, finely diced
    1 1/2 cups finely diced Spanish onion
    1/2 cup finely diced carrot
    1/2 cup finely diced celery
    4 whole garlic cloves
    1 cup dry red wine
    3 cups homemade beef or chicken stock
    1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes and their juices
    4 fresh thyme sprigs
    3 sprigs fresh rosemary
    6 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
    1 cup tomato sauce, recipe follows
    Chopped fresh parsley leaves
    Chopped fresh basil leaves
    Ricotta Mixture
    3 cups ricotta, strained in a cheesecloth lined strainer for at least 4 hours
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Tomato Sauce
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large Spanish onion, finely diced
    3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
    2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
    1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves

Bechamel (Mornay) Sauce
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 to 2 1/2 cups whole milk, heated
    Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup grated fontina cheese
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Assembly:
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    Bechamel Sauce
    4 fresh sheets pasta, cooked for 2 to 3 minutes in boiling, salted water, drained or 1 pound lasagna noodles (cooked in boiling, salted water until slightly under al dente, about 5 minutes)
    Ricotta mixture
    Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
    Fresh basil leaves
    Bolognese Sauce

For the Bolognese Sauce:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat.
    Season the shanks on both sides with salt and pepper, place in the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.

Remove the shanks to a plate. Remove fat from the pan. Add the pancetta to the pan and cook until golden brown. Remove pancetta with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.

Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the pan and cook until soft and lightly golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.

Add the red wine, scrape the bottom of the pan and cook until completely reduced. Add the beef stock, diced tomatoes, thyme, rosemary and parsley and bring to a simmer. Add the shanks and 1/3 of the pancetta back to the pan, cover and transfer to the oven. Cook until the meat is tender and falling off the bone, about 2 hours.

Remove the shanks to a cutting board and when cool enough to handle, shred the meat into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl.

Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl. Place 3 cups of the cooking liquid into a large high-sided saute pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until the liquid is reduced to about 3/4 cup. Add the shredded meat and the remaining cooked pancetta to the pan along with 1 cup of the tomato sauce, parsley and basil and stir to combine and just heat through.

For the Ricotta Mixture:

Stir together the ricotta, eggs, parsley, basil, cheese and salt and pepper in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to meld.

For the Tomato Sauce:

Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and red chili flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, bring to boil, season with salt and pepper and cook until the sauce is reduced and thickened, about 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the parsley and basil.

For the Bechamel (Mornay) Sace:

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and let cook for about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in 2 cups of the hot milk and continue whisking until the sauce is thickened and loses its raw flavor, about 5 to 7 minutes. Season the sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper and whisk in the cheeses. If the sauce is too thick, whisk in some of the remaining milk.

For Assembly:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
    Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with the butter. Ladle a thin layer of bechamel evenly over the bottom of the pan. Place a layer of pasta dough, cut to fit the inside of the pan on top of the bechamel and top the pasta with the ricotta mixture and spread evenly. Spread a thin layer of bechamel over the ricotta, sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan and some basil leaves. Top with another layer of pasta and spread the meat mixture evenly over the top. Ladle an even layer of bechamel over the Bolognese mixture, sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan and some basil leaves. Place the final layer of pasta dough over the meat mixture and ladle the bechamel over the top to completely cover the pasta and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of Parmesan.

Place the pan on a baking sheet and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F, remove the foil and continue baking until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 25 to 35 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into slices and top with some of the tomato sauce, more grated cheese and chopped parsley and basil.

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 55 minutes
    Yield: 6 to 8 servings

• Karigraphy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my, those last two recipes are intense!

Publickman - I've made pasta before a long time ago and then I lost a part to my pasta maker. Kept thinking it would turn up, but no. You are making the homemade version sound very wonderful and I'm considering that option. There is an Italian market a little drive from where I live that sells homemade pasta by the sheet. That would be an option, too.

fenworth - Bobby Flay's lasagna sounds like a dream and that's probably the only way I'm ever going to try it ... in my dreams! ha ha ha

So it looks like others are using about 12+ noodles per lasagna but I used 16. That may account for some of the overwhelming noodle-i-ness. The other is using uncooked noodles. I may try one of the recommendations to either cook the noodles less than el dente, or to soak them in boiling water and rinse them, or to make homemade noodles.

I would definitely add eggs to the ricotta because the plain ricotta flattened out and disappeared more than I would have liked.

Ok, I feel pretty good nonetheless because my DH and the girls who are the guests of honor already like the lasagna I made just fine.

Thanks for all the good ideas and recipes!

Kari