SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whosonfirst_gw

Tax Credits Trane and Lennox Heat Pumps

whosonfirst
14 years ago

Seems to be lots of incorrect information on the Federal Tax Credit. I had decided on the following system for a 4 ton unit:

HP Trane XL15I - 4TWX5048A1

Furnace - Trane 120,000 Variable Spped, w 2 stage valve TUD 120R9V5 80% efficiency

In midwest KC area so temperature extremes of zero to 100, though most of the time above freezing and below 85 or so with much humidity. 70% of new installs include heat pump in the area.

Two dealers gave me a quote and two dealers said that it qualifies for federal tax credit of $1,500. From this forum and from looking this up on my own it turns out this system doesn't qualify and in fact very few if any Trane systems of 4 ton or over will qualify. This has been confirmed with dealers.

I received another bid on Lennox sytem that would qualify for about $400.00 more:

Lennox G-60UHV60D-135 BTU Variable Speed Furnace

XP19-048 2 Speed 4 ton heat pump.

Questions:

1. Seems I read some items on poor heating with this unit. Is this a problem? If so better alternatives? Not interested in Carrier because of past reliability issues.

2. I prefer Trane but Lennox qualifies for tax credit. Are Lennox Heat Pumps good and reliable?

3. Opinion but do you think by next year Trane will make system changes so that more of their units qualify for the credit? In fact maybe all mfgrs will make more efficient systems to qualify. I'm not in a huge hurry and could wait a year.

4. Would 2 stage HP be beneficial in high humidity area? I was set on single stage XL15i but as noted above no tax credit.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH