SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daffer

5-Ton Trane vs Lennox Heat Pump w/ Furnace Questions

daffer
15 years ago

Location is Charlotte, NC- and from what I've read, I could benefit from a heat pump vs a/c only, as the heat pump would cost less to operate than a furnace, until the temps drop to around 40 degrees, and then the furnace would take over. Is that a logical conclusion, assuming the upcharge to move from a/c only to heat pump is not excessive? My current system is nearly 20 years old, and a 9 SEER Trane a/c (on/off for fan vs newer variable speed fans).

I've been looking at the higher SEER rated products. Ratings are 17.9 for the Trane XL19i and 18.6 for Lennox' XP19. The published SEER ratings are somewhat lower (8% or so) than for the similar product in a/c only (Trane's XL-19i and Lennox' XC21). I was planning on using 95% AFUE furnaces with variable speed blowers. The slightly lower SEER ratings mean I'd lose a little in efficiency on the cooling side (vs the a/c only units) but I wouldn't get the benefits of the heat pump side- and in North Carolina, there are many days when the heat pump alone would be operating.

The Trane HP unit includes two compressors whereas Lennox is a two-stage

unit. Is this a significant benefit for Trane?

Trane uses R22 and Lennox, R410A. Is this a significant advantage for Lennox, given that the R22 will be phased out over time?

Any comments on the above or other alternatives (or different manufacturers) for me to consider would be very much appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths