SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueshoo

Trane Heat Pump, Coil, Furnace - Comparing Proposals

blueshoo
15 years ago

I have received a few quotes on similar Trane equipment setups, but wanted to better understand the nuances in differences between the equipment proposed. Thanks to the people here, I've already learned a great deal, so thanks in advance!

So far the prevailing setup is an XL15i w/ 4-ton coil to replace an existing 4-ton A/C condenser w/ 5-ton coil. I also have a 114k BTU furnace that will be replaced, and looking to go the dual fuel route with a Heat Pump.

So, for example, contractor #1:

Heat Pump: 4TWX5048A100A

Coil: 4TXCB048BC3HCA

Furnace: TUD100R9V5K

Thermostat: TCONT802

also: Electrical disconnect & fuse install at outside unit, will pull permits

Price: $9950

contractor #2:

Heat Pump: 4TWX5048B100A

Coil: 4TXCD050BC3HCA

Furnace: TUD120R9V5K

Thermostat: TCONT803

also: re-wire low voltage line to new heat pump (have 2-line wire currently, apparently insufficient), add Outdoor Temp Sensor (Baysen02ATEMPA) and temp sensor wire

Price: $8320

So furnace BTUs differ.. Two people have proposed 100k BTU so far; with one saying 120k. And I saw that #1 does not have any ARI-matched furnaces (looking at equivalent A/C model 4TTX5048 and 4TXCB coil, assuming it's valid to use 4TTX's in place of 4TWX's when doing ARI searches).

So, questions:

A) #1 has a "B" model coil (17.5" wide) and #2 has a "D" model coil (24.5" wide). I see #2's proposal matches the width of the proposed furnace, but #1 is smaller. Any reason for that, or did they just size it too small? i.e., should that be a "C" model coil instead?

B) Looking at ARI with a "C" or "D" coil, I see a decent number of matched combinations of 5-ton coil and 4-ton equivalent A/C condenser w/ furnaces. It seems there are differing opinions on whether to upsize the coil, but if it's a bad idea, anyone know why ARI would have mostly 5-ton coils matched with the 4-ton condenser? (my search: 4TTX5048 + 4TXC) As said, the original equipment is a 5-ton coil with a 4-ton condenser.

C) What is the significance in the letter following the tonnage in the Heat Pump? eg: 4TWX5048"A"100A vs. 4TWX5048"B"100A ? Later model revision? Anything to lose sleep over?

D) Did contractor #1 miss the need to re-wire low voltage line, install Outdoor Temp Sensor, etc?

E) Did contractor #2 miss the need to re-do electrical disconnect and add fuse to outside unit? (no external fuse currently)

And aside from that it sounds like I need to address a potential issue with the existing lineset size if I'm going with the XL15i (have a finished basement, lineset is 7/8" x 3/8").

I'll be getting 3 more quotes in the next few days, so will hopefully have some more data to add to the analysis in figuring out the best equipment combination and best contractor. Contractor #2 is obviously a better price, but I'd have some additional questions for them on their level of service, permits, etc, and will wait to see what I learn from the other quotes as well.

Thanks again to all the folks here -- I greatly appreciate all the information available and the responses I've received so far.

Comments (18)