SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wellspring_gw

Which brands provide access for the totally blind?

wellspring
17 years ago

First of all, I'm new to this forum, but a long-time poster/lurker on the garden side.

I am also totally blind, which I don't always reveal, but which is important to this post.

DH and I are planning to purchase a new WD soon. Current machines are functional, but 15+ years old, out of warranty, and suffering from old age. Poor Ges that have served us reasonably well.

I've read several of the lengthy posts and FAQs here to get a taste but there is really only one important question:

Which brands provide access for a totally blind user?

The old Ges we have were the only residential model then available with an alternative control panel that provided simple Braille lables to set the machine controls. This older machine, of course, is using old-fashioned dials and toggles rather than electronic screens or "flat" button panels, which I'm guessing is the newer way of things?

So do any of you know of any brands adapted for use by the blind? My dream is that some of the newer systems will have an adaptation that will "speak" the input as the user sets the controls--not actually a difficult adaptation--with Braille indications for the actual touch points.

A follow up question: Can any of you help me get to the actual websites of major brands so that I can pursue queries there?

Thank you for any help along the way!

Wellspring

P.S.

Sometimes people want to know how I access the web. I use JAWS (Job Access Without Sight), which marries most standard computer programs to voice synthesized output. It also sort of re-orients web pages to a "top down" format that can be read (heard) via key strokes. Don't use a mouse--that's a notoriously visual tool--which may give some of you an indication of the hurdles that WD manufacturers may need to jump in order to make their units accessible for those of us who can't see.

Comments (18)

• User
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

According to a GE press release, they have a Braille overlay for a washer and dryer, but there is nothing about audio controls. Good luck.

• housekeeping
    17 years ago

This may not be helpful, but I have older Miele and Asko machines without flatscreen displays. Both have sets of push buttons and a dial. Obviously the points on the printed dial are marked with text, but I see no reason why you couldn't apply raised signal marks, or even Braile text to the flat surround on the dial. That way your fingertips would be able to read the necessary data. All the other controls are simple push in/push out toggles. Mine are frontloaders which would be especially easy to check with quick sweep of the hand for any item stuck in the basket after the load is done.

I doubt you could find an Asko of my model which was made in the early 90's, but you might still be able to find a Miele 1918, or even a model 1986, if you did a thorough canvas of Miele dealers nationwide. I recall there was someone who purchased a new 1986 recently and my dealer still had some within the last year, even though these models are technically discontinued.

I am also wondering if Fisher-Paykel machines would work. If I recall correctly these New Zealand-made machines have some kind of audible signaling capacity. I once saw a post here about how to make them play a tune with some fancy button pushing. Perhaps they could be programmed to respond to control selections with tones or some other audible signal.

As more people age, I think more people will need machines geared to users with low or no sight. So you'd think that machine manufcatuers would be able to meets those needs. And flat displays won't work well for that. I never thought of this before, but it's a real downside to the flat display screen type controls.

I hope you find a machine that suits you well. If you have more questions about the features and real-world experince with any particular model, please come back here. Among the forum participants are almost surely people with any type of machine available today who would be happy to report on their experiences.

Good luck in your search for a washer.

Molly~

• Related Discussions

Which brands carry rectified porcelain tile in whitish colors?

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm having a hard time finding tile stories that carry rectified tiles in my area period--and it's even harder to find manufacturers that make them in whitish shades. Does anyone have a rectified tile floor in a white shade or know which manufacturers may have a white shade (not blinding snow white, mind you, just not totally beige)? The tile are intended for my kitchen floor to match my white quartz countertop (Zodiaq White Cloud). TIA
    ...See More

Mini Blinds, Fabric Blinds, Bamboo Shades??? Help!

Q

Comments (10)
    I think SOME miniblinds like those plastic ones - UGH! - are utterly wretched, but others aren't so bad, like wood ones in particular are not dated at all. We had wood 1" blinds in our previous house's master bedroom and even though I'm not really a blinds person they did look nice. We have a bay window 6 feet from the sidewalk in our current house and I put up 2" wood blinds, which do look very good and will look even better once we get those dadratted drapes up with them to soften the total effect! Whether 1" or 2" work better depends on your room. Our current windows are quite large and 1" blinds would have looked super busy IMO, as well as being a bit scrawny for the depth of the window casing. The casings were quite shallow in our previous house, so 1" blinds fit those windows better. The 2" ones do let in a lot of light when open, because the spaces between the slats are wider, and it's nicely possible to tilt them at just the right angle that people can't see in from the street but light still comes in. Because it was a big hassle to get at the middle window of the bay (we would be climbing over a chair and table to reach the cords) we sprung for the motorized tilt option on that one so it would ever get opened/closed at all. I am going to disagree with some other folks: extremely functional as they may be, I think the top-down blinds look a little odd from the outside - I think they're best on the sides or rear of a house, not "in your face" right in front. Maybe if you're in a very contemporary building, I don't know. If the view in from the street is only through the lower half of the window (I'm guessing typical double-hungs) and the style suits your decor and architecture, shutters that only cover the lower sash are efficient and attractive. They completely block visibility from outside and still allow generous amounts of light in through the top half of the window, so there would be no hassle with opening and closing a window treatment.
    ...See More

Please vote which blinds would you do?

Q

Comments (24)
    hey guys- i got some samples today Looking at the faux wood b/c i dont want to worry about warping- we get A LOT of sun! Looking at a creamy off white color- so it will be lighter than the walls but not stark white-- the two i am looking at are HD Faux polymer soft cream (* i love the color b/c its in the same tone as the walls but definatly a lighter version-- but there is not real "wood grain look" its painted... is that ok? 2nd is Levlour Visions Faux Wood Sand Blasted-- color is not quite as creamy as the first one-- but it does have more texture and graining.... Thoughts Last thought of the day-- Will i really love wood blinds? I love feeling open-- and these blinds are HEAVY so i dont really see opening them all the way-- more i see just using the wand to open and close them but not lifting them.... Do you love the look? Do you think its right for my large family room? I wish i could decide!!! And do you think the painted color will look good-- creamy ivory....
    ...See More

Web Site That Compares Blind Brands???

Q

Comments (3)
    Check out SmithandNoble.com. We got all our blinds for our old house from them and they got the best compliments from our friends and family. They offer options which you find anywhere and if you buy from them when they have 20% off coupon their prices compare to other discount selling brands. Get their catalog and Free Swatches to get an idea about them. The 20% off coupon is valid till Aug 22nd or so. So, u have plenty of time.
    ...See More
  • bmorepanic
    17 years ago

LG with adaptable controls (WM2496H) uses individual buttons for setting cycle information instead of watching which led is illuminated.

It might be pretty simple to relabel the buttons although the company doesn't seem to offer it as an option.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

I have older Miele and Asko machines without flatscreen displays. Both have sets of push buttons and a dial.

That makes me think that the FriGEmore front-loader that we discuss here could be adaptable that way -- no LED/LCD screen -- just knobs and the occasional rocker switch. That would be workable for someone on a budget.

It definitely would be worth calling Customer Service at the various manufacturers and maybe even Sears. My father was blind and I remember that Sears offered an overlay for the Kenmore microwave oven we bought. It probably came from the manufacturer (whoever that was), but one was available as a Sears part.

• wellspring
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks,Momj47, Molly, and MP-

Momj47- Isn't it interesting that their press release makes it sound like this is a new thing for GE? My parents tracked down GE machines as a present for us when our son was born in the summer of 1991. They based their brand choice on the availability of the Braille overlay. The downside is that it sounds like only one model available now just like back then!

Molly- Thank you for your suggestions. "True" buttons are often easiest, and on many electronic devices I simply memorize the function and orientation of controls. My computer keyboard, for instance, doesn't have any indication of what each key does. Not so difficult, as I learned to type in 9th grade before losing my eyesight, but the additional keys and the combination keystrokes are mostly in the old memory bank. One thing that can be problematic, however, is adding Braille and/or raised marks. The flatscreen ctrls that my DH have adapted for me--take the microwave and treadmill--regularly shed the labels. It's a pain in the rear! A little moisture, a little friction (say, from pressing the touch point), and pretty soon the little boogers come off again.

Now for the really funny part. My DH is Austrian. We regularly visit the situations that created demand for FL, stacks, combined technologies, etc. My MIL, SILs, are Miele all the way and all of them want TLs, moan about leaks, and practice very creative plumbing to fit laundry functions into awkward spaces.

I did get the DH to agree that we'd approach this with an open mind, but he has a definite preference.

MP- I will also check into the LG product. I need to do a little homework re: which products are easily available around here, as physically checking out models will be important.

Still interested in whether there are any other mnfctrs producing models already adapted for blind use.

Wellspring

• gordonr
    17 years ago

Even if the manufactuer doesn't provide a Braille overlay, it seems like many of the washer/dryers with simple manual control dials and switches could be adapted without too much hassle. Doesn't 3M and others make Braille labeller?

The Speed Queen home machines appear to use a simple dial and toggle switches. The top load horizontal axis Staber machines appear to use similar dials and switches as well. These two brands look like they could be adapted.

There machines with electronic control panels out there which don't use membrane (i.e. flat) switches. Some Miele machines would be an example of electronic machines with raise switches and no LCD panels. The problem is knowing the state of the switch as a push on the switch just toggles the state of the switch. The switch always returns to the same position so you can't feel if the button is depressed to figure out if the switch is on or off. Usually they put a simple LED which lights up when the switch is "on". Without getting real fancy (and expensive) with overlay sensors that watch to see if LEDs are lit or not and audibly report the state, these machines wouldn't be easy to adapt.

A possible longshot...The W4800 Miele washers just introduced has a PC connection for the manufacturer to reprogram the machine and no LCD panel. If you can get to the right person at Miele, maybe you could get them to reprogram the machine so a button press sounds off two distinct audible signals which would indicate if a button is on or off. In combination with Braille labelling of the button such a modification would work. Overall, adapting a simple manual type machine would be easier.

• mielemiele
    17 years ago

The Miele models I have (1213 and 1403) can be retrofitted/ordered with a Braille control panel overlay and both machines can be reprogrammed to "beep" with each button press without connection to a PC.

• dadoes
    17 years ago

It sounds like a frontloader is the preference.

However, if a toploader is still in the running, F&P Intuitive Eco toploaders (the IWL model series) have electronic controls, but they have raised soft touch buttons, not flat panels. There are 8 buttons of alternating size so I don't think it'd be too hard to orient oneself by touch. Running a "normal" load (warm wash, cold rinse) is simply a matter of pressing Power and Start. The machine has automatic water level and automatic fabric sensing to determine the agitation speed.

Making alternate selections requires accessing submenus on the various buttons, but the selections are always in the same sequence from the "default" so one could conceivably learn which buttons to press and how many times according to the beeps.

Just an idea.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Doesn't 3M and others make Braille labeller?

It is marketed as a private-label product: http://www.independentliving.com/prodinfo.asp?number=126740

There are others, too. For my father, we used a Dymo label maker (not Braille; just symbols); it stuck on quite well. Maybe they've changed the adhesive. It's been almost 20 years now....

• emagineer
    17 years ago

Wellspring,

My daughter is legally blind and has worked at the School for Deaf and Blind for 20 years as a transitionist and dorm counselor. I will ask her what machines they are using and options available.

There have been many times I thought she should write a book about her experiences with tranistonal living. A lot of wonderfully useful things she works with and skills taught, others can be quite funny in the scheme of such.

She has always had an issue with stove controls...dangerous, but also with humor. Although a safety factor for young children, most stoves have their controls on the back. Until the stove controls are learned, it means her students have to lean over the stove to turn it on...which also means they have to get out of the way quickly when it does turn on. It still eludes her that the school buys these, but perhaps due to life in what the standard is.

As with her I know how adaptable you can be with the lack of suitable options. I'll see her today and ask. May be tomorrow until I write back.

• wellspring
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've got homework to do! Thanks, everyone.

Steve- Didn't catch your post before posting last time. It does sound like the FriGEmore group will be in the running. I can go high end, but I will probably lean toward machines that already have available ctrls adapted for the blind. It's funny, but I never thought about a microwave with a Braille overlay. The one in our present kitchen was here when we bought the house. Hmmmm wonder if DH would like to get me an early birthday present?

Re: Brl labelers. Yep, I have the Scotch Dinotape version. It's probably 15 years old. Maybe I need to update my life? LOL The adhesive seems to work finesometimes. Also, it's hard to create small labels. Too small won't stick as well. Too large and label overlaps others. Usually I go with a single letter or symbol and try to keep the size large enough to stickIt isn't perfect or pretty, hence the preference for mnfctr produced guides and prefab brl ctrl.

Gordon- I like the way your brain works--creative problem solving? Are you an engineer? The labels (previous post) do have a tendency to come off. Computer technology will save us alleventually. I've noticed that just about everyone is now listening to voice cues, so some future config may include a voice synthesized option. At this decision point, I'll probably go with something simpler.

Mielemiele- I guess you like Miele? It's fun to hear my German speaking DH pronounce these EU brand names. It sounds like we'll be considering Miele because it has a blind adaptive model. Thanks for that info. I'm not yet sure I can go to that price level and finding local dealer is part of my homework.

Dadoes- " It sounds like a frontloader is the preference." Well, maybe. DH (the Austrian with many relatives using Miele) is a strong convert to TL. He has agreed to consider, reluctantly consider, FL models as well. Your description of the F&P is helpful. Sometimes when my computer voice is off I will execute fairly lengthy instructions from memory. The only problem is that I like confirmation that I've actually done what I think I've done.

Emagineer- Thanks so much. I work as a Presbyterian minister, travel to national committees / conferences, lecture, preach, counsel, weddings, funerals, baptisms, and (on Wednesdays) lead a youth group! I still have people give me rides home and then say things like, "Do I need to take you inside your house and show you to a chair?" Hmmmdo they think I sit in one place all the time? Who do they think vacuumed the house this morning, loaded the dishwasher, cleaned the bathroom, etc.? Speaking of which, my driver will be here in a little while. It will be an 11 hr day.
    I'll check back for your daughters comments.

Thanks again to all. Your input has been very thoughtful and helpful. I'll keep you posted.

Wellspring

• mielemiele
    17 years ago

Wellspring,

Most EU member countries have regulations governing access for persons with special needs.

You should be able to find a Euro brand and model in your price range with similar options. Yes, I like Miele, but I believe other makers have similar offerings.

Are there U.S. tax credits for devices purchased for the blind?

• gordonr
    17 years ago

Wellspring,

One more thought...

Although I'm a fan of front loaders, you might find a top loader a more practical choice. For laundry detergent you won't have to hassle with a detergent dispenser if you choose a top loader as you just dump the detergent in with the clothes (haven't used a top loader in 15 years now so I'm going by memory). Most front loaders have pull-out drawers with relatively small compartments where you need to place detergent for a main wash, a seperate compartment for a pre-wash (if your machine has this capability) and another one for fabric softener/vinegar and yet another if the machine takes bleach. A top loader just seems much more direct with the whole tub acting as the "detergent dispenser".

To answer your other question... I was trained in the sciences, but do "engineering" as well. My sense of working without sight comes from years past where I worked with lots of photographic film in darkness. I actually used a Braille labeller to make an in-the-dark filing system for 4 x 5 sheets of film to organize them after they were exposed (you don't develop all your film at once when using sheet film, but rather use the results from the first development to see if you want to modify the development process based on the results).

• cmc_97
    17 years ago

I have a friend who is blind and faces this problem. She uses some kind of raisied marker (and I think braille labels in addition to the marker) applied around control dials.

Of course, this means she must find appliances with dials as opposed to LCD displays. This applies to stoves and ovens (she's quite the cook) and the washer and dryer, and any other small appliances. With the popularity of visual displays, finding appliances with the appropriate kind of dial controls has become more difficult.

Are there any manufacturers that produce appliances with the option for "voice feedback"? As long as you could turn it on and off, it might be a desirable option for many customers, not just blind customers. Seems that it would require additional electronics, but the electronics that control the LCD displays are already in place in the appliances to begin with.

CMC

• emagineer
    17 years ago

Wellspring,

I went shopping with my daughter yesterday. She said at the school that their budget is always short and they have to buy midrange. The important thing they look for is controls that "click" so one knows where each cycle is. They also use a paint which is raised, similar to puff paint, but it is hard and doesn't wear off. She couldn't remember the name and is checking on this.

I'll get back to you on the paint if you wish.

• wellspring
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mielemiele- I will try to check out additional EU brands. Life has created a certain level of cynicism regarding adaptive technologies, but reading posts here has encouraged me to re-educate myself.
    My cynical side thinks it will come down to a handful or fewer models that are available with adaptive access. Also, through some calling around yesterday to dealers and service providers I'm beginning to think that my location may mean that the EU brands will pose problems in terms of service / parts. I need to figure out how to do one of those searches with my zipcode to see if there will be service coverage in my area for the brands.
    As for the tax thing, I don't think so?

Gordon- Your thoughts on TL v FL were excellent. Some blind folks are exquisitely adept with their hands. Some of us are not! Well, I can deal with just about any plant / garden issue that comes around. Because that's my passion. Pouring things, dispensing things, however, is something I hate. My perfectionism comes out and I can turn a 15 second job into a 15 minute one. Of course, it might be good for me to struggle and persevere! Then again, maybe not. I like sorting the laundry, throwing a load in, setting the machine, letting it fill with water, and then dumping in whatever I think the clothes might need. Hmmmm . Did I just confess to a Laundry Room Forum heresy?
    Sorry, you will have to absolve me so that I can get the wash going and return to the on-line garden catalogs.
    Seriously though, I think you clarified a point for the TL side.
    Oh, yes, it's also interesting to hear about your use of Brl for darkroom purposes.

cmc- Your comments about your friend reminded me that there is more than one way to approach this purchase. Sounds like she chose products primarily based on what she wanted and then figured out how to adapt it for use. Or maybe, like me with some of my appliances, she adapted pre-existing appliances for her own use.
    Since I'm buying new, I'll be starting my search with the ones that have been adapted with accessible ctrls. But, as some have suggested here, there might be something that works with a little added adaptation from DH. That part of the decision will be determined by quality, price, and service support.

Emagineer- Greetings to you and your daughter. My Mom is encouraging from the sidelines and I have her doing a little research on flooring options for our lower level. It's and "eyeball" thing, meaning I trust her opinion about how things really look. The floor choice is for most of the lower level, which is where the laundry room is located. Perhaps more on that later in a new thread!
    I guess my preference is still for the ctrls that have already been adapted. Last time DH just popped out the standard ctrl panel plate and put in the one with Brl. It's actually not that much Brljust raised dots at key points on the setting dial, abbreviations for sm, med, and lg loads, same thing for temperature settings, and an additional ctrl for gentle or normal action.
    It would be handy to have the name of the product for raised dotsin case my best choice turns out to be WDs that do not have adaptive ctrls or have inadequate ones.

Thanks again. Now comes the research part. I will try to remember to post my findings.

Wellspring

• gordoco
    17 years ago

The URL listed below has a list of home appliances with some accessible features for blind users. The Maytag Ensignia washer is listed as usable, and the Kenmore HE4t is listed as a possibility. I have the HE4t and the basic control scheme with default settings would probably be usable, but access to the advanced features would not. For example, to adjust the temperature you must repeatedly press a button to cycle through various settings indicated by an LED light. There is no non-visual feedback of the current temperature setting.

As others have noted, the detergent drawer has several small compartments that might be difficult to fill, although a funnel could come in handy.

• douglasmags
    17 years ago

Wellspring,

If you purchase a whirlpool appliance you can request a braille manual and an overlay. I actually supply Whirlpool with them myself. I make the overlays so that all you have to do is apply a sticker over each knob or identified action. The overlay comes in braille form and also comes with a key. Im also pretty sure that most appliance manufacturer's will provide you with the same as long as you request it. If you come accross a manufacturer that will not provide you with such material please let me know.
    Good luck!