SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westfield_gw

Furnace and AC replacement

westfield
14 years ago

Seems like this is a common topic here so please bear with me as I'm a newbie.

The basics, location Carmel,IN, just north of Indianapolis. Summers can get hot, especially humid, winters normally not too bad but generally at least a few days of sub zero. House is 2200 sf, 2 story, full crawl. Current system is Rheem, 23 years old. Furnace is 75,000 btu in, 80% efficient. The AC (2.5 ton) needs some major repairs, $600+. The furnace appears fine, but old. As a result I have been getting quotes on replacing both, and have narrowed it down to 2.

First option: Carrier Infinity 96 furnace and Infinity 16 heat pump, 3 ton. Includes Infinity thermostat, and a Honeywell media air cleaner. Dealer is also bumping up the warranties to 15 years parts and labor. Price after all rebates, tax credits, etc., is $6482. Sounds like a good deal. These are my issues with it:

1. No Manual J done. He is quoting a 120,000 btu in furnace, much larger than any one else. That seems inefficient to me. Maybe he has several in the warehouse?

2. I am leery of heat pumps, but from reading the forum that may be old school. Apparently the "cold" air blowing from them for heating issue has been dealt with and the reliability is not worse than a standard AC unit. True?

3. It seems like getting a dual fuel system will result in a high efficiency furnace doing noting but running a fan for at least half the winter. But with the tax credit, one is almost forced to go that way.

4. I know Carrier has a single stage heat pump (not Infinity) with a scroll compressor that is almost as efficient as the Infinity 16, but so far I can't get a quote on that setup from the dealer. Should I?

5. Many forum posts talk about the air handler. There is nothing like that on this quote. Should there be?

Second option is from a guy who did a Manual J calculation. It is an America Standard Freedom 95 furnace, 60,000 btu, with an American Standard Allegiance 14 2.5 ton AC unit. Digital thermostat, I assume the American Standard version of the Honeywell stat, but I don't know. Price after rebates and credits is $5845.

1. I appreciate the Manual J, but this seems small, compared to my existing unit. Will the increased efficiency, variable speed blower, etc. make up for that?

2. The AC unit is single stage, I assume not a scroll compressor. Can't tell that anywhere for sure.

3. Again nothing on the quote about coils/air handler, etc.

4. American Standard appears to have parts only warranties, lifetime on the heat exchanger (apeears to be on both exchangers), and 10 years on everything else. There might be a 1 year labor warranty.

No one has even looked at the duct work or said anything about it. Is it logical that it can handle either of the proposals? I'm leaning toward the Carrier, but I need to know why the furnace size and if a smaller one will get the price even lower. The warranty is what is really pushing me. Any input would be greatly appreciated, as it's 90 degrees today and I need to have a decision by Mon.

Comments (5)