SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arthistoryboy

Clueless guy in need of advice on furnace/AC replacement

arthistoryboy
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I need to pick your brains about a new furnace/AC system that I need to have installed. I have a 100000BTU Lennox furnace (from 1971, when Lennox was actually good), and the repairman told me the heat exchanger has just about rusted through throughout. He said it was 40% efficient at most. The AC system I have is around 8 SEER, from 1986, also a Lennox; I believe it is a 4-ton system. My house is a 1945 Cape Cod style, has problems heating and cooling the upstairs (I can't feel air coming out of the vents in some places; it comes out weekly in others). I live in Wichita, Kansas, where we tend to get mild winters with the occasional cold snaps and dreadfully hot summers.

The question I have is what to buy? I often hear Rheem, Trane, and Carrier (which was my Dad's favorite). Someone told me Tranes would not be good for me since I have cottonwood trees outside that could make cleaning of them difficult. I have been leaning toward a Carrier Infinity system but am unsure if this might be overkill (the equivalent of buying an LG Steamwasher for $1700 when a $1000 washer will do just fine). Can you offer any advice to someone who is clueless about this process and which models are the "stand outs" at the moment? I would love to cut my energy bills, but just want to make sure I am being rational about it all...

Thanks for any and all observations!

Comments (9)