SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gundali

Urgent advice needed on Furnace and A/C

gundali
15 years ago

We bought our townhouse last June 2007. We have supposedly two new Gibson furnaces and a/c units in our townhouse. It's a new construction and I think the developer put in the furnaces and a/c probably sometime late 2006 when he was building the townhouses. Anyway, during this past winter season, our first winter season in this townhouse, one of our furnaces had broken twice within 4 months period (once in Nov 2007 and another in March 2008), so we had no heat. The problem for both times were the igniter. I think it's an electric igniter and the coil cracked. It was still under the 1 year labor and parts warranty, so the developer sent the installer to fix it. But I have serious concern about it especially after the 1 year warranty expires...which is coming up next week!

Here are some information on our Gibson furnace:

Model #: KG6RL-060C-12A

Serial #: KGD060707378

So, my questions are:

- Is it common to have the furnace broken/to replace the igniter so often especially for a new furnace? What could have been wrong with the unit to cause this? Could we have gotten a faulty furnace unit?

- Is there anything we could do to to protect ourselves from having this happen and end up having to pay for the cost of repairing it on our own expenses in the near future if this keeps happening?

- Also found that our Gibson a/c unit is making a loud noise/humming sound when it is running (i.e. air is blowing). Is that normal? It is bothering me because the units are on our deck right above our master bedroom.

- When the a/c kicks in, I can hear a "sparks" like sound at the thermostat and also at the a/c unit at the start of the cycle - is that normal? I asked the contractor and the technician, they said it's normal but I have doubts.

Anyway, I doubt we could get the developer to warrant or guarantee anything beyond 1 year given the "unusual" problems we have given a new furnace and a/c....I am sure the developer will not do much if anything because they will of course try not to incur more cost than they have to.

I also just found out that our furnace units were not registered by the installer within 60 days after installation so we default to only 5 year manufacturer's warranty instead of 10 year warranty. Very very frustrated and upset about this!

Any advices will be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!