SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
levay_gw

Advice needed on furnace replacement

levay
17 years ago

Hello All,

I needed to upgrade my existing furnace due to a cracked heat exchange. I figured since the system was almost 30 years old, I should just upgrade the entire system. Since I live in the south (New Orleans area), I decided to get rid of the gas furnace and go with a heat pump with an electric air handler. Now my contractor is telling me that converting from a gas system to a heat pump system with electric heat strips will require quite a bit of modification including replacing the plenum, running a new line to the thermostat (to support the heat strip) and running a new 220 line to the attic.

IÂm still sold on the heat pump but my question is: Should I go ahead and install the heat pump and air handler with strip heating and just suck up the modification costs, or should I return what I have and get a "duel-fuel" system that contains a gas furnace as well as the coils to support the heat pump? And if I decide to go with the furnace (which will be a 95% model), should I still go with the heat pump or should I just get a standard condenser?

So sum it up, here are my choices:

1.) Heat Pump w/ backup electric heat strip

2.) "Duel-fuel" system - Heat Pump w/ gas furnace

3.) Gas furnace with standard condensor (no heat pump)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments (11)