SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rick955i

KitchenAid Pro Line

rick955i
16 years ago

I saw the KitchenAid Pro Line washer and dryer at Pacific Sales today....MIGHTY impressive.

Now I know the washer is nothing more than a HE5t in a stainless steel box with double door hinges (although the label reads "Assembled in the USA of German components") but I was wondering if there are any other obvious differences I missed - wash programs etc.

Now the dryer was something altogether intriguing. Where does it come from? It doesn't look like your standard Whirlpool offering, and the build quality/design were incredible.

Does anyone have any experiences with this set that they can report on?

Thanks is advance,

Rick

Comments (12)

• dadoes
    16 years ago

The dryer is an ADC.

American Dryer Corporation

• rick955i
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks... From the looks of their industrial roots, I take they performance is superior to the HE5 and Duets?

• Related Discussions

Is there difference Viking D3 or Pro Refrigerator

Q

Comments (1)
    For the "Pro" handle look and perhaps some minor interior changes. But $500 more is down from $1000 a few months ago. I hope you are aware the Viking was recently purchased by Middlebe Corp, which is already cutting employees. Viking uses a Whirlpool prototype interior they make themselves. Their SS finish is nice. Just be aware of the new ownership-plenty to read on here about it. Between the Whirlpool plant made Jenn Air and Kitchen Aid Pro lines, the only thing that still bugs me is the brushed stainless on the KA. I just don't like it personally. I'm still considering the Jenn Air Pro and am looking at the new 36" GE CD with in-door water (hot and cold) that's going to be available in May. Good luck.
    ...See More

Kitchen aid slide in pro line gas range

Q

Comments (1)
    I am sorry you are not happy with the range. I am about to order the same one but I really don't have much choice as it is only one of two that would fit depth wise. I believe that hole is the vent for the oven.
    ...See More

Kitchenaid Pro Line Discontinued

Q

Comments (13)
    We are in the same position. I like the look of the pro-handles and getting them on appliances without spending too much has been challenging. @ Laurageo1, I agree with you about the E-Lux double ovens having too much black. We are upgrading to the E-Lux Icon double oven instead of the 'regular' one b/c it has more SS/less black and in our new layout, the ovens will be very visible. More money, but the features are also more to our liking. We are going with the E-Lux fridge b/c all-around features appeal and it will be closely placed to the ovens, but have nixed the E-Lux DW (too much bad press) in favor of KA. Thanks, jsmith, I will definitely look into the possibility of substituting Pro handles on a KA non-pro line' dishwasher.
    ...See More

Kitchen aid pro line series

Q

Comments (1)
    Amazon carries a 3qt bowl plus whisk accessory. Is that what she is looking for? KitchenAid KN3CW 3-Qt. Stainless Steel Bowl & Combi-Whip
    ...See More
  • shop-r
    16 years ago

I own these and think they're great. They are extremely quiet, built to last,simple to use and do everything that they are supposed to do extremely well.
    This washer is my first front loader so it would be difficult to compare it to other brands or models. These do come with a 5 yr warranty. That along with the many other quality built features are what sold me. Plus all I needed to do was to move them into my laundry room. No extra plumbing, gas lines or wiring were needed.

I suggest calling KA Customer Service if you have specific questions. They were quite helpful when I was shopping.
    I can tell you that KA will not be building follow up models once these are gone. These costly solid stainless steel appliances weren't well marketed. KA have no prestige reputation to warrant their high price. Considering this, most folks would buy a Miele over any German designed KA when spending with this amt.

Fyi: Before the Holidays someone posted here that they had an opportunity to purchase this set 1/2 price. This person had concerns though that the newer brands/models perhaps used better technology. I requested update info from that poster re the vendor's stock of platform drawers and asked they update me when they made their buying decision, but never received a reply.
    If you do a search here on KA Pro Line you can read through those posts as well. HTH

• kat_ofhb
    16 years ago

^That's funny, I did the search HERE and got nothing. As far as "extra plumbing, wiring, gas lines.." what do you mean? These machines are residential-grade. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm attracted to the pair just like you. Actually, I would like to know your thought-process behind your decision to purchase.

• shop-r
    16 years ago

Sorry I confused you. Originally, I was interested in purchasing Miele's Little Giant commercial set for my home. Their capacity allows more room for king size bedding etc. The N.American Mieles models were not yet available. To have the Mieles installed would have required that my laundry room be rewired. That caused me to rethink my decision.
    The KA Pros didn't require any extra costs or labor to install. Move 'em in. Plug in the washer, and then attach the dryer to an already present gas line.

After seeing how well the the KA Pros were built,and calling CS with a few questions, I opted to buy the KA Pros instead.
    I'm very happy with the purchase.

I was shocked at first by how little water these front loaders use to wash a full load compared to my old Maytag top loader. And for me, it took a bit of time learning about the various wash/rinse cycles. Now it's just choose the cycle and let them do their thing. HTH

• kat_ofhb
    16 years ago

I see. Didn't know Miele commercial units required anything other than 120VAC & 3/4 gas line. $6~7k for the pair is causing me to think despite your good report on the equipment. Did you manage to build these into your cabinetry? Thanks.

• shop-r
    16 years ago

No, mine are not built in. They are free standing side by side.
    Regarding prices, someone posted here that they found these units offered for 1/2 the price.
    I requested vendor info several times but never received a reply. Most vendors tho, will happily match verified competitors prices...both online as well as brick and mortar stores. Some even entertain price offers in order to move inventory. There are legitimate deals on almost all brands/models if you can put the time in to explore about.

There are lots of online sites that offer various amts. off with free shipping/delivery. Most offer the best prices on holidays and weekends. I've seen anywhere from 10-25% off at times but never 50% mentioned by the poster here.

These were indeed a costly investment. For me their 5yr warranty, 18/10 stainless steel throughout and other various built in qualities made this buy both worthwhile and justified the expense. Time alone will tell whether this was a smart decision. So far, all is good.

• kat_ofhb
    16 years ago

Well, right at the moment, the only advertised discounter is Universal at around 10% off retail. Funny I should be looking for a discount on a category of equipment that could be had for 1/2 of that but that's human nature I suppose. 50% is not believeable unless if fell off of a truck.
    The thought of no successor to this pair is cool- I wonder if that's will be the case...

• shop-r
    16 years ago

I was told by 2 different KA CS reps that there will be no more W/D produced bearing the KA name going forward. I sort of think they lost big on trying to compete with the likes of Asko and Miele and Bosch with this Pro Line.
    Both reps told me that KA was trying to fulfill customers' requests for upscale all stainless W/D set to match their dishwashers and refrigerators etc.
    I'm sure since these were designed in Germany is reflected in the price, they also were more expensive to manufacture being totally stainless. Most appliances made in stainless only have their fronts in stainless or if solid all around SS they cost plenty as well.
    Next, these weren't marketed well when first made available. (Pretty big mistake only going for snob appeal and expecting the KA name to be able to carry it off.) Marketing should have put more emphasis on quality they built in and perhaps the yrs of use expectations, but they didn't.

Thus these things sit a pair at time, like handsome tanks, in uppity showrooms until someone happens upon the quality and buys. All the other brands come out the latest, greatest 'new' technology advances or color every 6-12 months. KA Pro models won't be competing with steam or any other advance improvement we can't live w/o.
    The KA name itself simply doesn't have the draw to improve the bottom line sufficiently with laundry room sales. They'll let the other brand names under their umbrella carry that area from now on I think.
    I tend to believe that the KA name gets far more buys and reputation points for their smaller kitchen appliances.
    I think they intend to stick to this already proven niche.

I tend to keep my appliances forever. I'm not one to replace them with newer or better if they're still working strong. I don't mind paying more when genuine quality such as full body 18/10 SS warrants it. I honestly expect to get my money's worth of great service from these Pros for many yrs.
    Perhaps adding another 5 yr warranty later down the road...

• kat_ofhb
    16 years ago

Well, I guess I'll pop for them. In the grand scheme of things, I'm spending money $25k a wack for various things for a new build, this spend will get lost in the paperwork. I don't need fancy blue sheet metal nor steam this-or-that. One thing I don't get is the platforms- are they really large enough for detergent or a jug of softener? Also, the shelf is massive, did you remove it or do you actually use it? Thanks.

• shop-r
    16 years ago

I didn't buy the platforms. When who ever it was that posted about being offered the set at 50% off I inquired about whether this particular vendor had more of them in stock. For 1/2 price I'd be interested in buying even though I really don't have the need.
    At the time of my purchase, I couldn't justify the extra $$$$ just for drawer space. If you can, then I say go for them. I might add later if I find them at a great
    price.

I believe that they add about 13-15" in height. Not positive of exact measurement. My units sit under a window but would work out fine either way.

I think once you see just how solid these units are built and how well and quietly they run you too will be impressed.
    All the best with your final decision.

• kenzie99
    16 years ago

Hola,

I am the one who shopr refers to as being the one that inquired on these boards about the above mentioned washer and dryers. I must apologize for not replying sooner. They indeed were half off I believe the asking price with pedestals was sub $3500.
    The price was palatable however after numerous calls to CS . It was brought to our attention that parts would be phased out in the next 3 years. True this is "normal washer" contained in a sturdy frame. The fact that the German componets were essentially increasingly harder to get and the fact that the technology of new washer's and dryers are extremely competitive. You are essentially paying for the finally polished exterio, with import parts that one day perhaps sooner than later will be non existent.
    The argument can be made that these are well made, or that parts will have to be readily available until warrany experation. The European componet made it extremely niche. Miele uses similiar technology with the European version differing slightly, however they make two seperate lines for the above mentioned audiences. KA did not,They produced 7500 machines and the fact that they wont be selling anymore is testiment that both marketing and the R&D were not on the same page.
    If you enjoy something refined check out Mieles new stainless steel offering. Comperable pricing, faster spin cycles and is current with all the washer and dryers bells and whistles.
    I chose to research and opted against the KA, do your own research, but realize you are buying a 2005ish washer and dryer in 2008 for top dollar........