SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Thunder Thighs

triciae
14 years ago

I got DH a 4-rack smoker for his BD. We took time from flood clean-up today to fix something yummy for our Easter dinner. Frankly, I think it was beginner's dumb luck but it was stupid delicious. We smoked baby-back ribs from Whole Foods & homemade mac 'n cheese. Served with mango, honeydew, red onion, & basil salad and cast iron blue cornmeal muffins. We ate too much!

For the mac 'n cheese, used a mixture of evaporated milk, heavy cream, & regular milk in the roux. The cheeses were Cabot sharp cheddar, Monterrey Pepper Jack, 2 slices Velvetta, & a tub of marscapone. I made 4+ cups of sauce for a box of pasta. We used whole wheat pasta 'cause we just like it better. Smoked, this stuff was delicious. The color was beautiful after 90 minutes in the smoker.

Put a dry rub on the ribs last night...ancho, paprika, garlic & onion powder, S/P, a bit of sugar, red pepper flakes, & a couple other things I can't remember at the moment.

Here's the sauce...gosh, it's good.

THUNDER THIGH BBQ SAUCE

1/4 Cup Butter

1/4 Cup Canola Oil

1 Large Onion, Minced

3/4 Cup Bourbon

2/3 Cup Ketchup

1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar

1/2 Cup Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice

1/3 Cup Molasses

2 Tablespoons Worchestershire Sauce

1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper

1 Teaspoon Salt

Heat butter & oil in large sauce pan (I used a 12" round LC cast iron casserole). Sautee the onions for about 5 minutes until they are just starting to turn golden. Add remainder of ingredients & blend well. Simmer for about 45-60 minutes. If it's still too thin, raise heat, bring to a boil, & reduce until the sauce is your desired consistency.

Oh, we used hickory chips. Smoked the ribs for 5 hours wrapped in foil the last 1-1/2 hours at 210 degrees & the mac 'n cheese for about 90 minutes.

This sauce will be great for chicken! We're going to have a lot of fun with this smoker.

/tricia

Comments (15)