SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Derby Day - what are you making?!?!?!?!

caliloo
15 years ago

So the reality has finally sunk in. For the last several years there have been more kids in attendance than adults (much to my chagrin) and I have to make more kid friendly food than usual. I miss the days of a vat of Jambalaya, a few appys and a couple of gallons of Mint Juleps and everyone was happy! Life was so much easier then!

So I need suggestions for a few kid friendly foods. I will have a few dozen hot dogs (one family I invite has an interesting son... last year he ate 14 hot dogs and chugged a 6 pack of Coke on a dare, he's 11 btw) and some fresh fruit, chips, juice boxes, water, and store bought ice cream sandwiches and brownies.

I am also open to adult food ideas, the only absolute is Jambalaya (and Mint Juleps), there are people who talk about it year after year and how it is the best they have ever had.

I was also going to make:

Crab Canoe (hot crab dip in a hollow bread)

Hummus and pita

marinated veggie platter

deviled eggs

Sue's "crap cakes" (old CF joke there)

Ceaser Salad

Kentucky Derby Pie (Pecan pie with bourbon and chocolate)

Stuffed Strawberries

Help me out here gang - what else do I make for the kiddos? I know a few families will bring appy or dessert items to share, but I am worried about the variety and amount for 25 kids.

Thanks in advance, and I cant wait to see what you are making!

Alexa

And PRAY for nice weather! If all those kids are in my house I WILL have a nervous breakdown!

Comments (15)