SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

PO painted over wallpaper at some point - remove?

kellienoelle
12 years ago

Hello all,

So, our GC has started doing work in prep for our cabinet arrival in Feb. When moving a couple of outlets, it exposed old wallpaper. This has been painted over at least twice, possibly more. Normally I would never paint over wallpaper, but considering I never knew that wallpaper was lurking under the lovely bright yellow/orange paint that was here when we moved in over 7 years ago, how important is it to take it down now? I have done this once before in a very small bathroom, and not only was it super difficult, it also destroyed the walls so we ended up having to do a textured treatment on it (not an option in our large kitchen).

The other concern is that we are going to have two areas where there are cabinets now, but will be open after the remodel. I imagine that they put up the wallpaper after the cabinets were placed so suspect that the walls won't be "smooth" if we just decide to paint these areas. I can have my contractor re-sheetrock in just those two places, but of course that will be at an additional cost. How horrible is it to do it halfway and prep the walls in those places but leave the large breakfast area (which frankly looks fine to my eye) as is with the wallpaper carefully hidden away behind layers of paint.

FYI - it is a pretty large space - the working kitchen area getting the remodel is 11x13, the attached eat-in area is 11x13. My least favorite job in the entire world is removing wallpaper.

Comments (2)