SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
softball_80

How did you pick your kid's names?

softball_80
16 years ago

My wife & I made a deal early on; she would have final say if we had any girls & I would for boys. Needless to say I was of a mind that Tom Jr. wiuld have been a pretty good choice. Well, best laid plans.... 3 daughters, all healthy, which of course is the most important thing.

They are Kristin, Kathy & Diana. My paternal grandmother was Katherine, no Kris's in the family. My wife swears she didn't name the youngest after Princess Di, but you never know.

I met a guy who was going to name his newborn son after himself but decided to use his fathers name instead, and name the second after himself since they planned on having more. His wife then gave birth to 9 daughters!

Comments (33)

• Eliza_ann_ca
    16 years ago

My 4 kids all have family names as middle names,except our youngest who has two family names.
    Only daughter's name was picked from a song that was played on the radio at the time...Angela (Marilyn)DD's twin sister's name.
    Oldest DS Robert(Owen)Dh's name
    Middle son Darren(Randolph)my dad's name
    Youngest son Barry,after Dh's brother who died tragically in a fire) Austin...DH's dad.

• Nita__AZ
    16 years ago

We didn't name our kids after anyone. We just really liked the names Shannon (boy) and Erin (girl). We stopped after 2 I told my husband I would like more but he said when they came out with a new model we would try for another. lol

• Related Discussions

How Did You Pick Your Alias

Q

Comments (20)
    I got Crohns disease, then was diagnosed with MS. Someone emailed me an hysterically funny cartoon picture to give me encouragement. It was a stork in a pond trying to swallow a frog head first. The frogs front legs were sticking out of the storks mouth and it's hands had the stork by the throat. The caption read "Never Ever Give Up". Sorry my description doesn't begin to give the cartoon justice. Wish I was allowed to post it. If your humor is as twisted as mine, I know it would crack you up. It is even more appropriate handle for me now that I am battling Breast Cancer. Not looking for sympathy. I am not the one that needs it, because I AM THE FROG.
    ...See More

User names, how did you pick yours?

Q

Comments (51)
    Fly, I borrowed that pic off of Tripadvisor. It's not one of ours. That castle was used in the Michelle Pheiffer movie "Ladyhawke". It's gorgeous and we've been privileged to dine there twice. Once was for a business anniversary dinner where the company's owner went all out for his employees. Shee, nope, it's not fish. That's prosciutto, the famous ham from Parma. It's one of my favorite things to eat. :) They serve it on big platters with chunks of Parmigiano. Here is a link that might be useful: Castle
    ...See More

How did you choose your user name?

Q

Comments (64)
    Chose mine when I was on AOL and just kept using it. I was working as an administrative assistant, but was still being called a secretary. Sooo, I just shortened Secretary Steve (as one of my bosses called me) to secsteve. True story about using that handle. While giving someone my information about where to send an email, I gave them the email address, there was a very long pause and then "was that sexsteve?" As you can image I completely lost it,
    ...See More

Why did you pick your PB over the others you interviewed?

Q

Comments (1)
    Ooops! Posted in the wrong forum.
    ...See More
  • lydia1959
    16 years ago

My DD has a form of her paternal grandmother's name and her middle name is the same as her maternal grandmother's.

Her first name was also the name of a character on a soap opera.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

My DD (first child) shares my sister's middle name, and her first name we thought was somewhat unique and we liked the sound with the middle name. Did not know that everyone was naming their daughters Jennifer those several years. Next child has his father's first name as his middle name, and the last has my mother's maiden name as his middle name. We just picked common first names to go with the sound of the middle names. Did not dearly love any name we considered--the baggage of having been a teacher for years.

• Mickey15
    16 years ago

I used to watch the show "Who's the Boss?" when I was a kid and loved Alyssa Milano's name (who played Samantha). So Alyssa is my dd's first name.
    AS for the middle name, my best friend and I made a pact to give our daughter each other's middle name, so that is where her middle name Kay came from. By the way, my friend had 3 boys and no girls, so she didn't get to give a daughter my middle name.

• judy_jay
    16 years ago

We picked Jeff for DS because it went well with our last name, which also starts with a "J". When we got married we both loved the name Jill & said if we ever had a daughter, we'd name her that, so that's how DD got her name. If we had had 2 daughters, we both loved the name Pam, not a "J" name, but we both liked it so much. Only have 1 daughter, tho, so we never got a chance to use it.

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

I married the oldest of 4 boys, so I was the first DIL and, of course, I gave his parents their first grandchild. One of my DH's brothers was about 15 at the time I got pregnant, and it was unbelievable how ecstatic he was that he was going to be an uncle. And the baby was due on his birthday (not the day he was born, but that's another story). Because of his excitement, we chose his middle name, Aaron, as our son's first name. Middle name is Alexander, which was also DH's middle name, and grandfather's and great grandfather's middle name.

I liked some very unusual (and DH insisted they were strange) names for our daughter. We couldn't agree on any name for her until a friend from church visited one day and mentioned a name from the Bible - Tamar. It means palm tree. I reversed the last two letters and got Tamra. I had no idea that the name Tamara even existed at the time. I thought all of the people I knew named Tammy had that name on their birth certificate (can you say naive?). So, of course everyone spells her name incorrectly. And my DH had always liked the name Michelle, so that is her middle name.

• dotmom
    16 years ago

The first, a son, was named Scott, after a deceased friend of DH, and Allan, after DH. Second son, Brian because we liked the name and Daniel, after DH's good friend and BIL. Only daughter, Colleen because our last name is Irish, she is our Irish Colleen. Her Middle name is Leigh, which I intended to be pronounced as Lay, but everyone pronounces it Lee.

• liz
    16 years ago

Alex after my dh's middle name...Carson...for my 7th grade history teacher...I just loved the name and always said I would have a Carson whether it be a boy or girl! two boys and we stopped...My history teacher was a woman but I still thought the name fit for a boy as well!

• marilyn_c
    16 years ago

Only have one child, a daughter and back in 1980, Erin wasn't a very common name. A lot of people must have thought the same, because when she started to school, there were lots of Erin's. Her middle name is Quinn, after the little girl who played in the Goodbye Girl, Quinn Cummings. I thought it went well with Erin and our last name, which is Collins.

• kickypants
    16 years ago

My husband and I made a list of names (at least a hundred) for both sexes. Crossed out the ones that each didn't like, then were left with very few and chose our favorite from those. Everyone thinks that we chose my daughters name for herritage reasons etc, but we just both happened to agree that her names didn't give us any flashbacks to people that we didn't particularly care for or didn't like the sound of.

• donna37
    16 years ago

DH has a DD from first marriage that they named Kari Sedona. The Kari was after his mother, Carrie, but with the different spelling, the Sedona, I guess, was something his wife picked. That was nearly 50 years ago.

We didn't really want to give any first names after relatives very much. Son was named Kody Lee, a mix of DH's mother's maiden name 'Coder' and my maiden name 'Leach' After that we decided to stick with "Ks" for first names

Now, remember when we named these kids starting over 40 years ago we had never heard of any of them and thought we were being quite inventive.lol.

DD, Kandra was something we kind of made up and Sue went well with it. DH was wanting Kimberly but a niece stole that one used it a couple years before so we ditched it.

Last DD is Kyla and middle name LeDawn. I sort of messed with letters and names from ours and came up with it. DH's first name is Leonard, which he does not like and goes by Richard, and my name is Donna, so took the 'Le' from Leonard and changed mine sort of to Dawn and combined them. Later I said that it sounded like a stripper's name.lol.

The Dawn part is carrying on, Kandra's #2 DD is Kimberly Dawn, and #3DD is Danielle LeDawn, she said she couldn't think of another middle name for #3!!!

Kyla's DD is Kelly Dawn.

• jannie
    16 years ago

I have two girls. I knew the sex of both of them ahead of time for medical reasons. My first daughter we wracked our brains to think of a name. One night we went to the movies and saw a lovely little movie "Roxanne" starring Steve Martin and the beautiful Darryl Hannah. I thought "Roxanne" was a good name. My second daughter is "Victoria" for her father Vic Jr, grandfather Vic Sr. and my grandmother Victoria. All-around family namesake.

• gmom74
    16 years ago

Back when I was in my twenties and having our kids I didn't want to name them after family. Now I think it's good to carry on family names- wish we had for at least a middle name.

• jannie
    16 years ago

My grandmother's name was "Christina" and I always loved her name and thought I would use it for a child. My brother got married before me and named his first child "Christina". Then my sister got married and named her first child "Christina". I decided not to use the name. Turns out the two Christinas don't even know each other. DB and his wife had an ugly divorce, she moved out of state and got custody of the kids. He never sses them, very sad.

• wildchild
    16 years ago

When we were seriously dating and considering marriage we met a beautiful Alsatian with a name we really liked. We decided then that if we ever had a daughter we would name her that. For our son, we had a middle name picked out but weren't completely sure of the first name right up until the time he was born.

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

My kid's names came off the family tree.

• mrsjjb
    16 years ago

My oldest DD is named Sydney because 1) we both liked and agreed on the name, and partly 2) because I wanted a name that ended in 'Y' like mine. Also, 3) she was born in 2000 which is the year the olympics were held in Sydney, Australia. We heard the word Sydney lots and lots that year - practically everytime we turned on the television. Her middle name is Elise - also my Mother's middle name and also her grandmother's middle name. I suppose you can consider that a family name.

DD#2 is named Sascha for many miscellaneous reasons: 1) I wanted a name that sounded good when I said, "Sydney and ____", 2) then I decided that Sasha was the right name (I could feel she would be a bit of a spicy sas even when she was in the womb), after I researched the name, it's origin and it's meaning, I decided to spell it the original Russian way, which is with the 'C,' S-A-S-C-H-A. Her middle name is Leona, which is DH's Grandmother's name. It doesn't surprise me that out of all her Great-Grandchildren, Sascha seems to be her favorite.

I'm pretty sure I'm done.
    BUT, if one more should decide to join us, it's name will more than likely start with the letter 'S.'

• momcat2000
    16 years ago

In my mind, my oldest was going to be a girl, I was caught off guard so missed my chance on naming my oldest son.
    The twins, I was bound determined to have a Christina, but he turned out to be a Christopher.
    Steve was named after a person very dear to my heart.

• junkyardgirl
    16 years ago

My first son was named after my DBIL who died very young (32) and my best male friend in HS.

My second son was named after his paternal uncle and grandmother.

• kayjones
    16 years ago

My eldest son is named after his great-grandpa, grandpa and father, so he's 'Tom the fourth aka T4'. The middle and last are names from the bible: Jared Aaron and Joel Micah.

• cwnev
    16 years ago

My Husband was named after his grandfather, so when we were dating, he said he wanted to continue that line and name a boy if we had one after his father. We did. Then to kinda go along with that, when we had our daughter, we picked her middle name which is both our mothers middle names, and her first name we just liked and it went well with the middle name.

Side note, I "knew" I was having a boy first time, we didn't even pick out a girl name. This was all before the time where they can tell now. Our DD, well, again, I "knew" she was a girl. I had a dream I was presenting her to my MIL and said, here she is, name.... so we didn't pick out a real boys name then either. We had a couple we were playing with, but didn't really pick one.

Both times, I just "knew".

• jeaninwa
    16 years ago

I named my oldest son from a name in a book I'd read many years before I got pregnant. Schuyler. But, our last name starts with Schu and I just couldn't do it...so we spelled it Skyler. His middle name is Sea.
    My second DS I just knew was going to be a girl. We had the name Sierra Sky picked out. Sort of a juxtaposition of Skyler Sea. Well, he came almost a month early, and just in case it was a boy, I couldn't stand the thought of him being born without a name. So DH read names from a baby name book while I was in labor. We picked his middle name first, Colby and then picked a first name that sounded good with it, Spencer.
    When he was in kindergarten, he had two best friends with the names of Herman and Nobert. He wanted us to call him a "normal" name....Homer. This was before the Simpsons. So, we called him Homer for a while.

• sandy_in_ia
    16 years ago

Caryn came from a check I took when I was a cashier...liked it on the check, asked how it was pronounced and DH liked it. Jo is after her paternal grandfather...Johannes.

Kalie came from a friend. We wanted something 'unique' to go with Caryn, and a friend had seen the name Kalie. Dayl is after her daddy's middle name...just different spelling.

The only boy name that we ever agreed on was Zachary. So when Zachary's parents stated they had picked out Zachary...it was great to us. They asked Caryn if there was a name that she would like (mostly NOT used).She said if Jo was somehow used it would be great. Zach's middle name is after Caryn's middle name...Joseph.

• vicki_lv_nv
    16 years ago

I think I just like the name Kyle. But I wanted to spell it different. So I spelled it Kiel. His middle name is William...after my ex's brother. I was told all thru my pregnancy with my second that I was having a girl. Ex wanted to name her Peggy Lorriane. Oh my heck. I hated that name. (Sorry to any one with either of those names.) His mom's name was Margaret, so I would have gone with that and called her Maggie. But he said she was never called Margaret or Maggie. She was called Peggy. Lorraine was my mom's middle name...and I didn't want to stick that on a child. When HE was born, we didn't have any boy names picked out. I knew I wanted it to start with a K. On the 5th day of his life, he finally got a name. Kelly, which we picked out of the phone book. His middle name is Allen, which is my late brother's middle name.

• stephanie_in_ga
    16 years ago

I wanted to name all our kids after characters from classic American literature. But DH was flat against it. For boys I was flat against anything that could be shortened to end in -y.

Their first names are all just names we liked. DD's middle name means nothing, just sounds good together. DH had suggested using his dad's name for her middle, which a gender neutral name, but I just didn't like the way it sounded. DS#1 has DH's first name for a middle name. DS#2 has a variation on my name for a middle name. DS#3 has my grandfather's middle name for a middle name.

Really we didn't start out looking for family names. We just chose first names we both liked. We put some family names on the list of options for middle names. It gave those names some bonus points, but we also really liked the way it sounded together.

• wildchild
    16 years ago

Stephanie I'm with you on the "y" thing. That was part of my criteria when we chose my son's name. I took it a step further and chose names that don't have a nickname or shortened version at all for my DS. My DD's middle name can but that's one reason we made it her middle name.

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

My oldest son is a JR after his dad Edward Charles...
    My middle one-Sherelyn Kay was named after a Motel sign I saw traveling one time-the Kay was my aunts name...
    My youngest Douglas Donald was named Doug as it was the only boys name of my hubby's 12 other siblings-that hadn' been taken! His middle name was his dad's 1st name.

• intherain
    16 years ago

LOL, now I'm having a hard time remembering how we picked their names! I do know that our oldest's son's name (Kevin) was chosen by DH. (Kevin is now 18.) With our middle son, it was my decision (along with my mom and sisters). His name is Sean. With our 3rd, I honestly can't remember! She was our girl after having 3 boys. We didn't know of the gender until she was born. I think her name (Rachel) was chosen by both of us.

Ian and I have unusual names, so we wanted our children to have classic, well-known names. Kevin, Sean, Rachel.

Sheryl
    (Should be "Cheryl", but my mom wanted to change it a bit so that my Aunt Sharon would be part of it.)

• nannc
    16 years ago

My son's father was a "jr," so our son is a "III." His son is naturally a IV and it's a stretch to find different names for "Edward William" but we've done it. I have no idea what in the world he will come up with for HIS son.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Well we thought we were being unique with the first one.
    But it seems that it's a name that's been used in the Celtic cultures for some time. I thought I was sticking a K in front of Ian..His dad picked his middle name. They have to be D's..his is and his first three children are as well.
    The second one was going to be an A name..but my husband's youngest brother was left sterile from Cancer treatments at the age of 18, so we took part of his name and used it. Again middle name was chosen by Daddy. The last one we decided since the other two had the same initials, might as well keep with the program..We didn't like or couldn't agree on K names, so we started looking at C names we could swap out. We decided on Cameron..but the spelling we chose as Kamren (boy) or Kamryn (girl) and then we gave our oldest a short list of D middle names and he picked Dylan/Dillon..we chose to go with Dillon. However had he been a girl the name still would have been the same, just different spelling. Kamryn Dylan.
    My husband thought the name was picked out for his oldest son prior to him leaving for USMC bootcamp..however one day he got called into the Gunny's office and was told congratulations you have a son, his "specs" are xyz and it appears he's a Jr. Hubby never wanted a junior. Oh well.

• bettyswwa
    16 years ago

Our oldest DD (Jana Luene) was named after Jana Schepp who was the niece of Karl Wallenda of the Flying Wallendas. Her middle name was after a favorite aunt's middle name, who was engaged twice and both of her fiancees died...one in a motorcycle accident and one in the war. She said she was a jinx to men and would never marry.
    They thought I was going to have twins so I had Jana Luene and Jodi Luane picked out. Chose to use Jana Luene.
    2nd pregnancy I did have twins and it was a girl and boy. I had girl names picked out....Jodi Luane and Jolene Lee...my Mother thought Jodi Jolene was pretty so she was named that. ex DH named boy twin Joey Jay after the Cincinnati Reds pitcher in the 1961 World Series.

• bearcat_va
    16 years ago

We picked our baby-to-be's name just because we liked the first name and it's not on the top 20 list of most popular names. His middle name is going to be my DH's first name. You'll find out in a few months what his name is!! (That is if DH will post on here for me!)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor