SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

User names, how did you pick yours?

User
14 years ago

I hope sugarbreak from the kitchen conversations doesnt mind but she started a great thread over there, got me curious about many of the names I see on this side and how or why you chose them. Many I am sure are very interesting. Mine not so much. I used to live on a street called RoseAbbey so when I joined GW I used that name, how boring. What about you?

Comments (51)

• hhireno
    14 years ago

I found the GW when researching for my condo renovation in Hilton Head Island so hhireno seemed appropriate. I started reading in kitchens, quickly found the bathroom forum, and eventually found the home decor forum.

Like AuntJen, had I known I would be sticking around long after the reno was completed I might have used a different name.

hhireno
    a.k.a. Jean

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Mine is what my kids' friends called me when they were growing up, instead of the traditional Mrs. Soandso.

• Related Discussions

How Did You Pick Your Alias

Q

Comments (20)
    I got Crohns disease, then was diagnosed with MS. Someone emailed me an hysterically funny cartoon picture to give me encouragement. It was a stork in a pond trying to swallow a frog head first. The frogs front legs were sticking out of the storks mouth and it's hands had the stork by the throat. The caption read "Never Ever Give Up". Sorry my description doesn't begin to give the cartoon justice. Wish I was allowed to post it. If your humor is as twisted as mine, I know it would crack you up. It is even more appropriate handle for me now that I am battling Breast Cancer. Not looking for sympathy. I am not the one that needs it, because I AM THE FROG.
    ...See More

How did you choose your user name?

Q

Comments (64)
    Chose mine when I was on AOL and just kept using it. I was working as an administrative assistant, but was still being called a secretary. Sooo, I just shortened Secretary Steve (as one of my bosses called me) to secsteve. True story about using that handle. While giving someone my information about where to send an email, I gave them the email address, there was a very long pause and then "was that sexsteve?" As you can image I completely lost it,
    ...See More

How did you pick your granite fabricator?

Q

Comments (5)
    Just wanted to comment on the la te da lady. Business must be good for her. I just got back from the fabricator I used for my kitchen. ***sigh*** Anyway, I was helping a friend pick out granite. I asked the one guy there how business was going and he told me slower than they would like. They are a great company who does excellent work. So it really seems surprising that in today's economy any company would actually tell you that they wouldn't want your job because of the edge you choose. I really based my decision on seeing the examples of their work. I was in there a lot checking things out and I always felt very comfortable. I probably didn't do it the right way, but I really was very happy with my decision. As I'm telling my friend who is looking right now, don't make the decision based on the free sink, etc. Any fabricator/stone yard can get their hands on the same stones, it is more a question of who does the best work. It is a quality of job thing. So, ask around, ask them to see work they have done. Look at those seams, look and see how they handle the pattern of the granite, etc. Word of mouth is the best thing you can refer to. Good Luck.
    ...See More

Why did you pick your PB over the others you interviewed?

Q

Comments (1)
    Ooops! Posted in the wrong forum.
    ...See More
  • mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Mine is Mrs. because I am, and Marv for the first part of our last name.

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

What I wanna know is how to CHANGE my user name. I used to have it be my nickname years ago before GW was taken over by iVillage. Then one day something went POOF and everyone had to re-sign up. Wouldn't let me use my old name.

Mine is the result of a small business I had with my DD: The Pesky Girls. It was the only thing I could come up with at the time I had to pick a new one. Our email is cementguys and I considered that, but figured it wasn't so 'glamorous' when I started out on Garden Accoutrements. Which, by the way, eventually spawned Garden Junk, which trust me, years ago was MUCH better than it is now!

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Mine is from one of my all time favorite tea roses.

First plant did well, then suddenly the second year I got less blooms. Then almost none. Tried a second plant, same location, right at the steps going up the deck, so I could enjoy it's heady fragrance. Loaded with buds, so I was thrilled. Till the buds on the second plant started disappearing again. I busted the culprit one day. My puppy was doing some pruning. He sat on the deck step, reached out, gingerly nipped off a bud with his teeth, set it on the step by his paws, and proceeded to nip off another one. I suppose he eventually ate them because there was never any sign of the missing buds. He won, I gave up on that rose. ;)

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Another boring one here. I didn't take the time to come up with a clever name that was me and just went with a combination of my first name and initials.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Mine is my favorite rosebush 'New Dawn", another boring one.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Architecturally, mine is the imprint that one building leaves on the side of its neighbor when it is torn down.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

When I signed up, I lived in Sarasota. The airport call letters there are SRQ. I used to be AmySRQ. I miss the caps after the takeover. :-)

• golddust
    14 years ago

Grew up in a small town created during the gold rush, at the base of the Sierra Nevada mountains. My sister and I are 17 months apart and we were always together as kids, running around exploring. A gold miner who lived in town nicknamed my sister and I 'The Gold Dust Twins'. Before long, we were known by everyone in town by that term. (Hey, the town's population was 125, counting the dogs, cats and flies.)

When I joined GW while redoing my kitchen, I had never been asked for a screen name before. My biggest concern was that it should be something I'd remember, so I reintroduced the only other name I had ever been called. Golddust.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

Mine is from a favorite character in the Asterix & Obelix comic books, but it's also a pretty descriptive term for me. I can get obsessed pretty easily.

• carriem25
    14 years ago

My user name is my first name, last initial, and the age I was when I first picked that user name.

I am currently 37, LOL. I have a more recent user name that I use on a few other boards, but I've kept this one for a while.

Carrie

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Happy St. Patricks Day from Cooper and Bailey

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I, too, have been around for awhile and started at Gardenweb.
    I went outside and thought of all my favorite things...only to soon realize that every variation of every flower had already been taken.
    So, at the time I was surrounded by the buzz of bumblebees and I do love them so, so cheerful and productive and never aggressive; they just remind me of spring, so that was it. Again, there are bazillions of variations on the name, even here, but I am the only BUMBLEBEEZ!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

I was given mine by a helpful friend. I think she was very imaginative, but I'm not at liberty to discuss it further ;)

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

flyleft, are you a he or a she?

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I was in the Adult Entertainment Business and this was my stage name. I liked it so I kept it.

Just kidding. Mona from Erica Kane's Mom on All My Children and Blair from One Life to Live. I like my Soaps.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Mine is for the Italian city, Parma. Home of prosciutto and Parmigiano-Reggiano (Parma ham & cheese). It's where DH's company is located and a place we visit often.

Great city with little tourism and fabulous food. Music (Verdi and Toscanini's home), castles, Cathedrals that rival Florence, shopping...

The 42 means "for two" not my birth year. :)

Thanks, now I'm hungry!

• polly929
    14 years ago

I've used mine for years on several things. A friend from college would nick-name everyone- and to her I was Polly. It stuck and back then everyone called me that. I don't keep in touch with any of them anymore.
    And 929- nothing fun, just my b-day.

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

I picked my user name to reflect how I feel about decorating, improving my home and sometimes life in general!

Ann

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

Lots and lots of yellow. I finally decided on "Champagne Sparkle"

• kitchenkelly
    14 years ago

My name is Kelly and I joined GW because of the Kitchen Forum. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Creative, I am not.

I should not have a username with kitchen in it. I do not cook much. The majority of my time in the kitchen is spent feeding the dogs, making coffee or getting an adult beverage.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Patty Cakes is what(((Mom)))called me as a kid. Patty stuck with family and old friends, but i've been Trish for the last 20 years, it makes me feel more like a 'grown up'. ;o)

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

parma, what is going on in that landscape pic? Looks like a sonic boom!

And rose, before I answer, may I ask, why do you ask?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I was Googling for fun color stuff. Back then there wasn't much on the www about color -- it was mostly scientific and all about light and vision. Decided I had to do somethin' about that. Figured funcolors was a good name for the purpose.

• Faron79
    14 years ago

The height of creativity here...

Faron-real name.
    79...HS-Graduation year.

OOooohhh...everyones' STILL in awe I bet??!!?
    OK...maybe not so much...;-)

Faron......79

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

flylet, I was just trying to figure out how you got your username, your post above was intriging.

• User
    14 years ago

I am a happy Irish girl and I consider myself to be very lucky, but lucky irish was already used, so I had to get creative.

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

DLM = initials, 2000 = the year I picked the user name. Yawn.

Seems there are many of us who would like do-overs! If I'd registered with the only nickname I've ever really had, not many would know what Mossik means.

Deb

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Like many redheads, "Red" has been one thing casual friends and customers who want to be overly friendly (men) have called me...And the 'Bazel' came from a joking nick-name given me by an old manager. She still calls me that sometimes when we run into each other.

Red

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

rose--rats, I thought it was something about my posting style :). The many smiley-faces should give it away, I guess! (I'm a chick)

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

I picked mine because I just prefer people to call me by my real first name. I added the "in new mexico" because it quickly tells folks what part of the country/world I'm living. Simple & easy works best for me ;^D
    Although I like my moniker, in retrospect, I wish I'd just used LynnNM. Every time someone here writes out the entire 'Lynninnewmexico' I feel guilty for wasting their time. PLEASE just call me . . .
    Lynn

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

flyleft, my idea of how you got your username wont fly then if you are female, would of worked I think if you were a dude. Guess we will never know.....you sure you dont want to share, you just cant leave us hanging.....:>(

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

I sincerely hope that this suggestion doesn't irritate some people here, and if it initially does, I hope you'll hear me out before jumping down my throat. I don't mean to insult anyone. My suggestion is just to perhaps make replying to a poster, quicker, easier and more accurate.

Although I respect everyone's right to chose a screen name that they're comfortable with, I do wish that people choosing "Mommy or Mom to whomever", adding their kid or kids names to it, would sign their real . . . or fake ;^D . . . first name at the end of their posts. Not that you shouldn't be darn proud of your kids; I sure am of mine. It's just that it makes it so hard to answer you. I don't want to call you (all) "Mommy" or "mom". I always feel uncomfortable, as I know others probably do, replying with "Hey, Mommy, I vote for the yellow paint on the walls . . ." or "I agree with Mommy that the red rug works better". The entire name takes to so long to type and half the time I get the names of the kids misspelled when I do. If you do have one of these screen names ~ or any complicated or long screen name (like mine!)~ I'm just wondering if you all would possibly consider signing a first name at the end of your posts so that if we post back, we can do it without addressing you as 'Mom' or 'Mommy'?

This coming from the gal who stupidly signed up using the too long moniker, Lynninnewmexico, and has wanted to change it to just "LynnNM" ever since . . . if only I could! Anyhoo, that's why I try to always sign my posts at the bottom, just . . .
    Lynn
    (who's the very proud mom to Emily & __ )

• User
    14 years ago

Completely hijacking for a min.
    Parma - Those photos are beautiful!! What's the first food photo? While on our honeymoon in Mexico, the first time I ordered room service, I asked for Norwegian salmon steak. Didn't know what it was. I was shocked when they pulled the silver lid off to expose this.....
    {{gwi:1500213}}
    I had NO idea it was raw! lol I couldn't eat it. Anyhow, that's what I thought of when I saw the first photo. The pasta stuff looks good!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

It's easy to change your screen name. Go to user accounts and there is a place to change name. You won't have your old one anymore though.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Mine is boring, too: cyn for Cynthia and 427 is for birthday.

Parma, Your pictures are wonderful-love the area and the food....I am home after gum surgery and can't eat anything for 24 hours-aarrgghh. All I can think of now is some terrific pasta with pesto. Oh well-tomorrow night maybe :)

• johnmari
    14 years ago

Mine dates from the Dark Ages of the Internet. Back when the dinosaurs roamed the bandwidth, when you signed up for an Internet account (not easy, actually, there were few commercial service providers, and online services like Compuserve and AOL were isolated entities that had nothing to do with the actual "Internet") you got ONE user ID, and since it got very expensive for each person to have his/her own separate account, it was common for people to share it. My husband's name is John and my name is Mari - put 'em together and what do you get? :-) Even after private ISPs became more common and getting multiple screen names with each account became the norm, I kept it since I've been a prolific contributor at so many different places on the Internet over the last 20-some years that I've kept the same name for continuity - it's been fun to have people ask "hey, are you the same 'johnmari' who used to post to [wherever] about a decade ago?" and I've been able to reconnect to people I knew ages ago.

• JennaVaNowSC
    14 years ago

When I signed up with GW again, after a long absence, my old name was taken.. I could not come up with anything creative, and used the name of the Boxer we lost in 2000. Jenna, VA for where I live. I would love to change my user name to something fun!

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

HA! LynnNM - you beat me by one character ;-) but we share the same first name so if people start calling you Lynn, I'll be there thinkin' "Huh, wha?", j/k!

gtf (I won't even spell it all out ;-) came from when I signed up (the 2nd go-round) I was a green thumb wannbe at the time, the fish stood for "freshman" and the fact that while I garden I'm a "fish out of water" (in and out of the pool constantly).

The 1st go-round at GW I was LynnTX (yawn), but you can call me:

gtf
    green
    fish
    Lynn
    DarLynn (another moniker other places on www) and Dar

I hope people don't mind, but I'm constantly shortening other people's monikers if they're too long, just to save wear and tear on my fingers, sometimes for a lark, but I never do it hurtfully. If I can't successfully do that, I'll copy/paste ;-) I'm a lazy typist.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

It's easy to change your screen name. Go to user accounts and there is a place to change name. You won't have your old one anymore though.

We could all change our names, then play a game of guessing who's who!

• golddust
    14 years ago

If we changed our names, would we give up our seniority? I mean, would we start over as new members? Around here, I have learned seniority means something! LOL!

• ljwrar
    14 years ago

Mine is a boring one, too. Years ago, while planning our wedding, I combined my initials and DH's for a user name on a wedding forum. I keep using it because it's easy to remember.

Lisa

• parma42
    14 years ago

Fly, I borrowed that pic off of Tripadvisor. It's not one of ours.

That castle was used in the Michelle Pheiffer movie "Ladyhawke". It's gorgeous and we've been privileged to dine there twice. Once was for a business anniversary dinner where the company's owner went all out for his employees.

Shee, nope, it's not fish. That's prosciutto, the famous ham from Parma. It's one of my favorite things to eat. :) They serve it on big platters with chunks of Parmigiano.

Here is a link that might be useful: Castle

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

It is nice to see a thread like this again. It has been awhile. I dont post much anymore, I mostly lurk. :) I have been getting the decorating itch lately though. Maybe I will start up again soon!

My name is a name I made up for my oldest cat. He is called Booboo for short, but prefers his full name, and mostly will only answer to the full name.

He is the brown one in the 4 cat pile up (in my lap) below....

• eamon2
    14 years ago

bumblebeez- Can you steer me to user accounts - I can't seem to find it. I tried the Member Pages and entering another user name but then when I enter my email address I get a reply that 'the email address is already in use' and apparently you can only have 1 user name per e mail address.

I did write to GW asking how I could change my name but they never answered. I wish I had selected a better name, this is one my DH suggested and it's a guy's name.

Thanks

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

This is from a thread on the perennials forum.

At the very top of the home page (or any page for that matter on GW)
    you will find, in very small print on the green background:

"Welcome! YOUR PROFILE or LOG IN (or LOG OUT)"

Click on YOUR PROFILE; they will ask you to confirm your User Name and Password (because you're about to edit personal info). When the page with all
    your info comes up, you'll find the User Name entry toward the bottom - just
    delete the one that's there and type in your new one.

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

Our old farm house is a Folk Victorian. The inside and outside still need a LOT of TLC. The day that we get rid of the gray vinyl siding will be a very good day!

{{gwi:1500217}}

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I am a chick and I live in Alaska.

• judiegal6
    14 years ago

first name and 3 letters from last name, I know booorrring. Use to be mom6girls back in early aol days.