SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

Nashville floods - need to replace air conditioner, have ???

loves2cook4six
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am very active in the kitchen and cooking forums so it was an obvious choice to come looking here for advice.

My mom and sisters house was flooded with almost 4 feet of water in the recent floods. Fortunately no-one was home at the time so everyone is OK. We do not know exactly how long there was standing water but estimate between 24 and 36 hours.

The air conditioner needs to be replaced. I am leery of scam and con artists and hope you can help.

The condo is about 2000 feet with 1500 square feet on the first floor and 500 square feet in a loft room. All the living space is downstairs - the loft is a recreational room not used very frequently.

The HVAC guy who was there today was pushing a high efficiency system that has a $1500 tax credit. He was on about that tax credit like you couldn't believe.

His quote is for a RHEEM 3.5 ton unit, split gas, installation included, 10 yr parts/labor warranty. Also includes return "something" downstairs treated for mold and bacteria and removal of all old equipment. This unit is $6800. He also has a 13 SEER system available for $5400.

Do these quotes sound reasonable? Is the unit proposed overkill, adequate or inadequate?

Any help and advice would be appreciated as rush decisions need to be made without much time for researching each major decision involved in the cleanup.

Keep in mind all the walls are open in the entire unit up to 4 feet from the floor

Comments (3)