SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdknight3000

What do I need to know to replace central air conditioner

mdknight3000
15 years ago

I bought a house that was built in the 60's. I replaced the 20 yo furnace a couple of months ago. During that experience I realized just how many out and out thieves there are in the heating/cooling business (for instance one guy charging me almost $200 for what I later found out was a $30 thermostat among many other shenanigans) and I have a bunch of regrets as to decisions made, and I don't want that to happen when I replace the central air. At this moment I don't know much about the system I have other than it is so ancient nobody has ever seen one like it. Even the brand name is pretty illegible although I'm going to give it another try with better lighting. I know the person who owned the house was very cheap so I'm sure he it is very old but he probably was too cheap to turn it on much which is probably to only reason it turns on at all. It does turn on but it doesn't cool very well and so it is embarassing to be in the living room with company and have to run a mobile air conditioner in addition to the central to bring the temp down to tolerable levels.

So if you were me what would you want to know to make an educated decision as I am in for another string of people giving me estimates and scare tactics and out and out lying to me and I'll need whatever knowledge I can to defend myself. BTW with the furnace I went with an 80 something % efficiant model from SEARS with variable speed blower mostly because the SEARS guy (a) frightened me that the 90 something percent efficiant furnaces his competitors were hawking, which he doesn't sell, were potentially dangerous (something I now don't believe) and (b) he claimed that for $300 per every 5 years they cover EVERYTHING that could go wrong with a furnace FOREVER. Having suffered through clown after clown yanking my chain when I had NO heat because the old furnace DIED and it was 20 degrees, the idea that no matter what, I'd have a working furnace, won me over, and at least he wasn't the guy who sold me the thermostat at almost ten times it's real price. So any guidance would be appreciated.

Comments (5)