SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Let's talk (cooking) knives.......

alisande
12 years ago

I have 8" and 10" chef's knives that I'm happy with, but need something smaller for cutting vegetables and fruits. I love good knives, but can no longer afford very expensive ones. I have about $40 in Amazon points, so that's my budget this time.

At one point I had a 5" Farberware santoku knife that I liked a lot, but I managed to lose it. Its replacement, also by Farberware, is dreadful. I can't get a good edge on it, and it won't hold whatever edge I manage to get. I can't wait to throw it out!

I'm also discarding a carbon steel Japanese chef's knife (rectangular blade) that used to be quite satisfactory but has apparently outlived its usefulness.

I like the way carbon steel sharpens, but not crazy about its tendency to rust. Should I be looking at "high carbon stainless steel"? Some descriptions say "stain-resistant steel".....are they likely to rust?

After watching Ming Tsai cutting vegetables on his TV show I was psyched to get a ceramic knife. But then I read that they require a special ($$) sharpener--or you can send the knife back to the manufacturer to be sharpened. This does not to appeal to me (or my budget)!

I am open to your suggestions......

Comments (9)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012